Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Doom on the iLiad

So my iLiad is in Germany right now getting it's upgraded case. I was bored, so I decided to try to get a working version of Doom compiled.

I think I found a version that'll work, but I have no way to test it. Can someone give it a try and let me know what happens? If it doesn't launch, it should at least give an output in the error.txt. It includes the shareware version of Doom.

I doubt this'll be practical, but it's fun, and I'm curious and bored.

I should note that this has not been tested on the iLiad. It's likely that nothing will happen other than an error when you try to run it. But there's a .000001% chance it could cause problems.
Attached Files
File Type: zip doom.zip (4.97 MB, 320 views)
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
kusmi
Connoisseur
kusmi began at the beginning.

Way cool Adam - DOOM in iLiad :-)

It did not launch sucessfully, this is the content of output.txt:

LxDoom v1.4.4 (http://lxdoom.linuxgames.com/)
Z_Init : Allocated 6016Kb zone memory
found doom1.wad
IWAD found: doom1.wad
IWAD found: doom1.wad
LxDoom (built Apr 4 2008), playing: DOOM Shareware
LxDoom is released under the GNU General Public license v2.0.
You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
It comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. See the file COPYING for details.
LxDoom (built Apr 4 2008), playing: DOOM Shareware
LxDoom is released under the GNU General Public license v2.0.
You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
It comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. See the file COPYING for details.
M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
I_SetRes: Using resolution 320x200
V_Init: allocate screens.
found boomlump.wad
D_InitNetGame: Checking for network game.
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
adding doom1.wad
adding boomlump.wad

M_Init: Init miscellaneous info.
R_Init: Init DOOM refresh daemon -
R_LoadTrigTables: Endianness...ok.
R_InitData: Textures Flats Sprites
R_Init: R_InitPlanes R_InitLightTables R_InitSkyMap R_InitTranslationsTables
P_Init: Init Playloop state.
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
S_Init: Setting up sound.
HU_Init: Setting up heads up display.
ST_Init: Init status bar.
I_InitGraphicsusing MITShm)I_FindMode: Unable to find supported visual settings
W_ReadLump: only read -1 of 4000 on lump 786

Attached Files
File Type: txt output.txt (3.6 KB, 279 views)
kusmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2008, 05:06 PM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Hmmm, looks like "Unable to find supported visual settings' is the problem. I guess I'll have to keep researching.

Thanks for giving it a try.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #4
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Hey Adam, maybe your iLiad lies next to mine in the repair center [for backplane].

This is a genereal problem. The program compiled, but it is not running.
Or the program starts but I can't see any letters in an alternative viewer...

Still in the labour: Texas Instruments Emulator, Wireshark, GameBoy Emulator ...

Last edited by yokos; 04-05-2008 at 09:27 AM. Reason: a != an
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
kusmi
Connoisseur
kusmi began at the beginning.

Speaking of cool apps for the iLiad:

maxima (http://maxima.sourceforge.net/) it's a symbolic mathematics application - like mathematica/maple but opensource. This could make a great "calculator" for the iLiad there also exists a GUI wrapper around it (http://wxmaxima.sourceforge.net)...

But I guess this might be difficult to port (as it uses Lisp underneath...)
kusmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2008, 06:31 AM   #6
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
I thought about porting "Battle for Wesnoth", its turn based so in principle it should work well. The game just needs to be altered here and there to cater for the e-Ink display. I just don't know if the iLiad can handle it CPU-wise. A bigger level loads 10 seconds on my 2GHz PC. Also this game utilizes a lot of scripting stuff that needs to be ported like python
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Turn based, eh? How about a revival of VGA Planets?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #8
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Oh my god. This is some crazy project you got going here. Good luck anyway
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Turn based, eh? How about a revival of VGA Planets?
Would be called "eInk planets" then? Btw. I loved this once, but runned out of opponents to play against a decade ago

Last edited by axel77; 04-07-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:30 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Eight of us had an off-line game running on our floor of the dorm once for most of two semesters. It got a bit ugly for whoever was last to "do his turn" when the rest of us thought he had had long enough.

Good times.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:37 AM   #11
axel77
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Eight of us had an off-line game running on our floor of the dorm once for most of two semesters. It got a bit ugly for whoever was last to "do his turn" when the rest of us thought he had had long enough.

Good times.
When iRex/iDS would actually offer the "share your document with your friends" service, like the advertise on their webpage, creating a VGA planets universe wouldn't be so difficult to do.

BTW: I just checked, AFAIS (see) VGA planets is neither opensource nor GPL... so its dead to me.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:32 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Well, that sux.