Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: So who is buying one of the new kindles?
Not right now. 23 23.23%
Yes, they are too good to pass up. 50 50.51%
Maybe later. 26 26.26%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
So who is buying one of the new kindle models?

So who is buying one of the latest kindle models?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I bought a paperwhite so I can port my kindle video player (and other animation demos) to it. Currently my video code supports all previous eink kindles, but only the K3 and newer have fluid animation. I need to test my code on the 1024x768 eink display.

I have SDL mostly ported now, so we should soon have Doom running on the eink kindles too (and maybe Win95 in QEMU).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I voted "maybe later". Mostly because I have only had my very first Kindle (4, non-touch) for a month, and it's too soon to buy another. But I think a Paperwhite (unfortunate name, doesn't roll off the tongue very easily, I keep having to stop thinking "paperweight") is interesting and I wouldn't mind having one in the future after trying one in person.

Additionally, if the Kobo Mini were actually a "Kindle mini" instead, I'd likely want that. I like how it looks, but I have had 2 models of Kobo (one of which my husband has inherited, so I still see it in action) and it's not my preferred interface for an e-reader.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
I couldn't resist the Paperwhite 3G. That screen looks awesome - it looks like a major advance. Since I do most of my reading in bed the lighting should make my wife happy too
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I ordered a PW (wifi no ads) to replace my 2 year old KK. I'm cautiously optimistic about the lighting and the touch screen...but if I don't like it, I'll return it w/i 30 days).
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
... Paperwhite (unfortunate name, doesn't roll off the tongue very easily, I keep having to stop thinking "paperweight") ...
Although paperweight will seem more appropriate after it is "bricked". The lighting seems interesting, as does the increased resolution of the eink display. I am looking forward to whenever mine arrives. Shortly after I will probably have to figure out how to debrick it. The "magic" key is no longer the Home button, so that will be "interesting". I wonder how we are going to add that one to my "simple debricking" sticky thread in the Dev Corner forum.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-08-2012 at 08:20 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I ordered mine, but I don't think they are "too good to pass up." I love my ereaders, and I want to have the most recent eink iteration of the Kindle. I don't think it much matters to the average reader.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #8
kleinste
Nameless Being

I pre-ordered one of the new non-touch Kindles, but not because they're "too good to pass up" - because I broke my K3 and I was excited to see the black bezel returning.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:47 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Not until they:
  • add unbreakable displays; and/or
  • add an audio player; and/or
  • reduce size to 5" Galaxy Player

Two features I want added are:
  • folders
  • ability to browse, borrow, and download library books directly from the Kindle
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:48 AM   #10
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Additionally, if the Kobo Mini were actually a "Kindle mini" instead, I'd likely want that. I like how it looks, but I have had 2 models of Kobo (one of which my husband has inherited, so I still see it in action) and it's not my preferred interface for an e-reader.
What about the Sony PRS-350, depending where you are you might be able to get one at a bargain price? Obviously it's not a shiny new e-reader, but that apart....

The new Kindle's (and Kobo's) are tempting, but since there is nothing wrong with my Kindle 3, I don't think I'll be upgrading. If the KPW had included page turn buttons, I probably wouldn't have been able to resist but as it is..... probably next year when I get to see them in the flesh, I might change my mind though!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #11
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
What about the Sony PRS-350, depending where you are you might be able to get one at a bargain price? Obviously it's not a shiny new e-reader, but that apart....

The new Kindle's (and Kobo's) are tempting, but since there is nothing wrong with my Kindle 3, I don't think I'll be upgrading. If the KPW had included page turn buttons, I probably wouldn't have been able to resist but as it is..... probably next year when I get to see them in the flesh, I might change my mind though!
I'm currently not in a hurry to buy, since I just bought my Kindle 4 a month ago. I was just pondering what I would buy if such a thing existed...
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:00 AM   #12
jgumphress
Connoisseur
jgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I pre-ordered my new Paperwhite yesterday. Can't wait to get it, sounds like a great improvement. I opened my Kindle device manager on my Amazon account later in the evening and they already have my new Paperwhite listed in my device list, no serial number yet of course.
jgumphress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
IMO the new paperwhite is definitely "too good to pass up." I was waiting for the 2nd gen Kindle Touch, and it has exceeded my expectations in most every respect. It appears to be the best thing currently on the market. Of course that is an opinion that could change, once I have one in hand. And there will be things about the Sony T1 that will remain superior. I expect the PW will leave the Kindle Keyboard in the dust.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
IMO the new paperwhite is definitely "too good to pass up." I was waiting for the 2nd gen Kindle Touch, and it has exceeded my expectations in most every respect.
Slight disappoints are the drastic reduction in the storage capacity, and the removal of TTS, but the new features more than outweigh those, I think.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I'm looking forward to seeing how the parental controls work. I hope I will be able to set up a profile of some sort which contains all the books I have for my 9 yo daughter, and none of my books, and then be able to switch from the main to the profile. That would be ideal! I will be delighted to share it with her. She doesn't like my K3 b/c it is gray, so she is sure to love the paperwhite. Then I'll ditch the Aluratek Color I got for her. The battery life on that thing is horrible.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote