Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 06-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Overdrive for Android App?

Is anyone using this now that we can download it from the Play App Store? I just installed it, told the device what library to use and logged in. I authorized my Adobe account, too. My library seems to have a pretty good selection of MP3 audiobooks, so I am good to go.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
I used to use this before I discovered Aldiko, never had any problems with it (and it auto updated itself when new versions came out)

Not tried audio books, but my library does have some (although a lot seem to be windows audio which dont work), might take another look at it
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Paulsalter, can you use Aldiko to borrow books from your public library? In Canada public libraries are set up to use Overdrive.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am not Paulsalter, but yes, you can use Aldiko, but you drag the books onto the Vox (which ADE will recognize as Aldiko, not Vox). Now, if you have Overdrive on your Vox, I would think that you can import the files from where Overdrive stores them, but I have not checked it out.

When Overdrive first launched here, we seemed to have all WMA files. Now it seems that our library is getting MP3 instead.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I get them directly from the public library through the "catalog" in Aldiko. Just input the library's url (and save for future use) select your book in the browser and hit the download button. The book then appears directly on the bookshelf. The page in the browser window that opens up is the Overdrive page for the library. Works for Toronto, Whitby and Ontario Library Group.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 04:13 AM   #6
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
I get them directly from the public library through the "catalog" in Aldiko. Just input the library's url (and save for future use) select your book in the browser and hit the download button. The book then appears directly on the bookshelf. The page in the browser window that opens up is the Overdrive page for the library. Works for Toronto, Whitby and Ontario Library Group.
This is how I do it also, have my library setup as a catalog, works perfectly
Old 06-26-2012, 06:38 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Great info. I'll have to try that! Until we had the option of Play, I really had not spent much time using my Vox. Even now, I prefer reading on the Touch because of its weight, but it sure is nice to not have to hook up to the computer for things like this.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
paulsalter
Fanatic

@taming, just saw one of your earlier comments about importing books from Overdrive into Aldiko

If this are library books I couldnt get this to work, it fails to read the book, re download from library through Aldiko and it was fine

not sure if it's some type of DRM issue, both apps are registered to same ID so in theory i thought it would work
Old 06-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Oh my, when messing with the library function in Aldiko, I decided to enter my Calibre server address in as one. Now that is a great function!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #10
paulsalter
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Oh my, when messing with the library function in Aldiko, I decided to enter my Calibre server address in as one. Now that is a great function!
, Aldiko really is a great app, has some really good features
Old 06-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I am using an older version of Aldiko Premium, hummmm. might just have to get the new one from the Play store.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #12
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

I should say that I do read library books in Aldiko; I just haven't downloaded them that way. My library lets me configure the lending period to 7 or 14 days and I have it at 14. Nevertheless, if a book I have on hold becomes available while I'm in the middle of another one, I may not be able to start it for another week. Since I'm not a speed reader, I'll use Calibre to strip the DRM and read the book using any reader I please without panicking to get it finished or interrupting another book I'm reading. Then I'll delete the book when I'm done.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
You still have the option of choosing the lending period when using Aldiko for library books and you can even return books early like in ADE. Of course there is no option to keep them longer...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #14
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
is there a difference between the overdrive in googleplay and the overdrive app I got from the overdrive site (and I've update it lately) in Nov?
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #15
oldyellr
Evangelist

I don't see why there should be a difference. I got Overdrive from http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...pps-and-tools/ and it recently updated. The new version has something none of the other readers have, the ability to press on an image and zoom it. Even though I prefer Aldiko, I'll also load a book into Overdrive just so I can see the illustrations better.