Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2007, 10:19 AM   #1
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Kindle videos all over amazon.com

wow, this thing is really well thought out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

just go to amazon.com and there is an announcement that takes you there. Watch the videos.

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I figured they'd have the cleverness to make their own media blitz when they got ready to launch. When your site gets as much traffic as Amazon's does, you don't really need to worry all that much about advanced PR stuff.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #3
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

The launch is very Apple-like in its execution. Lots of unconfirmed product shots, an interview the day-before, a scripted announcement, an immediate set of web pages, and the ability to Buy Now.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:28 PM   #4
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv View Post
The launch is very Apple-like in its execution. Lots of unconfirmed product shots, an interview the day-before, a scripted announcement, an immediate set of web pages, and the ability to Buy Now.
And with the internal product code-name of Fiona, it almost seems like it was supposed to be an Apple/Amazon partnership. Either that, or a reminder to everyone that they were to do it up like Apple would in terms of integration, secrecy, and media blitz. They obviously missed on one Apple aspect... the sexy/sleek styling. This thing is just butt ugly.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:56 PM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
HORRIBLE things I have learned from the Video on the amazon page

I have just watched videos on the page and I have learned HORRIBLE things.

video named
Watch a Video Demonstration of Kindle
time 5:11
"... if you have personal documents to read on your Kindle, like Microsoft Word files you can just email them to Your Kindle. For just a small charge Amazon will convert your document and deliver it wirelessly."

So.
Just to translate it into plain English.
YOU CAN ONLY READ MATERIAL PURCHASED THROUGH AMAZON. IF YOU WANT TO READ YOUR OWN TEXTS, YOU HAVE TO PAY AMAZON ANYWAY.

I wonder how long it will take to hack Kindle so you do not have to pay for uploading of YOUR OWN CONTENT.

Phew!!!

It looks like I will stick to my Sony Reader a little bit longer.

EDIT:
snip from the product page (after you click on the plus sign next to "Technical details":
Content Formats Supported: Kindle (AZW), TXT, Audible (formats 2, 3 and 4), MP3, natively; HTML, DOC, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, MOBI, PRC through conversion

EDIT2:
from the "Kindle users guide" pdf document
" ... Amazon will convert the files if necessary and send them back to your computer for free
or wirelessly to your Kindle for a small fee, ""

EDIT3:
from the "Kindle users guide" pdf document
" ... When your Kindle is plugged into your computer, Kindle and any inserted
SD memory card appear as removable mass storage devices in Windows Explorer or as a
drive in the Mac OS Finder."

Last edited by kacir; 11-19-2007 at 02:57 PM. Reason: OOOPS. It loks like I should have read specifications first ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2007, 02:01 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
You can convert it yourself (e.g. to drm-free .MOBI) and copy it to the Kindle via USB for free.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:12 PM   #7
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
0.10 cents or USB cable. Hardly worth bitching about in any case. Further, work or my wife can email me a book or document to read while Im on the road (if I want it on the reader)
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:03 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Funny thing I just noticed watching the videos: In one of the print reviews a beta tester said his NDA had prohibited him from leaving the house with it. It was not to be taken out in public. However, so many of the authors were raving about all the great experiences they had with them traveling or just out an about. I can't imagine they got a different NDA. After all, these authors are people who are likely to be recognized. People would be watching them much more closely, even photographing them. The odds of anyone noticing me discreetly reading on a Kindle is slim to none. If I were Neil Gaiman, it'd be pretty likely.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:06 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think that's a pretty standard clause, when we had the 505 loaners, there was a "don't take it out of the premises" clause in that too. 'Course it mattered less as the 505 had launched the week before.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:08 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I think that's a pretty standard clause, when we had the 505 loaners, there was a "don't take it out of the premises" clause in that too. 'Course it mattered less as the 505 had launched the week before.
Yes but for what all those authors said to be true about their personal use of the Kindle, they would've had to be blatantly violating the NDA.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:00 AM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

Yup, they would.