Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-21-2014, 09:38 AM   #1
Heba
Connoisseur
Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle DX, Hanvon C18 and Sony Dpt-S1
Question Does galaxy note 10.1 cause less eye strain?

And if the answer is yes, is it specific to this galaxy 10.1 or is it the case for all WQXGA screens? what about galaxy note pro 12.2?

Thanks.
Heba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:55 AM   #2
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Compared to what?

Bigger screen means you can use a larger font and see the same amount of text. I guess that can lower eye strain.

Higher DPI makes for crisper text. That helps.

I think when it comes to reading text, any good decent tablet is about as good (or as bad) as any other. You are still looking at a glowing piece of glass.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2014, 04:39 AM   #3
Heba
Connoisseur
Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle DX, Hanvon C18 and Sony Dpt-S1
compared to other LCDs, galaxy note 8 for example.
Heba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
this may or may not be answering your question, but i have a 7" (1920x1200) and a 10" (2560x1600) tablet, and i find that a nice low-strain setup is to have white text on a black background. basically, night mode. i use it during the day (indoors). both tablets' resolution specs give a pixel density of 300dpi-plus, so as far as sharpness / crispness they're equal. one just has more area than the other.

compared to my kobo glo (black text on white/gray background), there's no big difference in eye strain.

then again, i don't read for more than 2 hours at a time anyways. i gotta eat, pee, stretch, so invariably i have 5-10min breaks every so often anyways.
burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
I have a 10.1 Galaxy Tab and while night mode is very good, I find an app called Screen Dimmer even better. Much easier on my eyes, which really don't work all that well nowadays. You can get it at Google Play, so far the free version has been sufficient to my needs. The paid version has extra settings and different colored overlays, which might also be worth your while.
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #6
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnafterreading View Post
this may or may not be answering your question, but i have a 7" (1920x1200) and a 10" (2560x1600) tablet, and i find that a nice low-strain setup is to have white text on a black background. basically, night mode. i use it during the day (indoors). both tablets' resolution specs give a pixel density of 300dpi-plus, so as far as sharpness / crispness they're equal. one just has more area than the other.

compared to my kobo glo (black text on white/gray background), there's no big difference in eye strain.

then again, i don't read for more than 2 hours at a time anyways. i gotta eat, pee, stretch, so invariably i have 5-10min breaks every so often anyways.
To me this isn't night mode - the white text is still much too bright. I prefer a light gray font with a black background in apps that let me set the font color. For those apps that don't let me set the font color and have the bright white font, I use the Filter Your Screen app and put a gray filter over it. For less eye strain, I also need to keep the brightness quite low as well. It's just a matter of finding the right settings for yourself.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
oh, yeah - my normal daytime brightness is 50%, and at night it's at 0%. there is no way i could look at it with brightness set at 100%.

i'll try that Filter Your Screen app, though! thx
burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eye strain, galaxy note, galaxy note pro