Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #16
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Polli....I do the same thing! About 1-2 times a yr I take my Laptop back the Factory! Then keep only things I used in the past 3 months LOL Thanks for asking this question! I ask too many Dumb questions on here I hate to ask more hehehehehe Not that they are Dumb to me!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #17
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
This is why I prefer using portable versions when available. All I need to do is copy my PortableApps folder and I can easily transfer my apps and settings to a new machine. If only I had faster internet and no bandwidth cap, I'd even put my PortableApps folder on Dropbox to keep it synced among my personal computers.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #18
polli
Zealot
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch, LG G Pad. Asus 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Along with my Calibre book folders, I also back up

C:\Users\Carol\AppData\Roaming\calibre

Carol
But do I need to do that? I never change Calbre settings and doesnt Calibre re create that folder if you re install it again?

Getting confusing answers lol
polli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #19
polli
Zealot
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch, LG G Pad. Asus 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Polli....I do the same thing! About 1-2 times a yr I take my Laptop back the Factory! Then keep only things I used in the past 3 months LOL Thanks for asking this question! I ask too many Dumb questions on here I hate to ask more hehehehehe Not that they are Dumb to me!
Think we all have dumb moments lol
It's just if you wipe your pc it takes ages to get it how you like it again
So wanted an easy way with Calibre and ADE too

Was hoping they were like WMP I just found all the books again
polli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #20
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by polli View Post
But do I need to do that? I never change Calbre settings and doesnt Calibre re create that folder if you re install it again?

You are correct in that folder will get recreated with default settings. If you only use default settings then no need to back it up.

However I would guess that the majority of people change some of the settings away from the defaults - and then backing it up makes sense as it avoids one having to remember what changes to the settings one made.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #21
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by polli View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
You are correct in that folder will get recreated with default settings. If you only use default settings then no need to back it up.

However I would guess that the majority of people change some of the settings away from the defaults - and then backing it up makes sense as it avoids one having to remember what changes to the settings one made.
What itimpi said.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
7 tweaks in force,
??? how many non-default settings in various places

Menus and columns placement are far from default
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #23
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@theducks - without counting any custom plugin settings too of course...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #24
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
I have just transferred from a PC to a Mac (what a waste of all those years, neurons and temper tantrums).
I understand the point of saving your preferences as well as the Library, of course.
My query: is there any way of transferring that preferences backup into the new Library, or do you just have to open it on the new machine and look it up so you can see what alterations to make in the new Library?
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #25
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In theory, you can simply restore the preferences folder saved on one machine to the appropriate location on the new machine. How well this would work, however if you are also switching Operating Systems I have no idea.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #26
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Thank you for your reply.
I don't think I'll test it - might just mean more lost neurones and temper tantrums.
Anyway, the point is moot, since I can't find the file on my PC.
Would anyone know where to look in XP?
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #27
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOZAWUN View Post
I don't think I'll test it - might just mean more lost neurones and temper tantrums.
You can ask Calibre via Preferences->Advanced->Miscellaneous.

It is normally a hidden folder called 'calibre' stored under your username in the 'appdata' area.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #28
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOZAWUN View Post
Make sure you turn on 'show hidden files and folders' to be able to view the folders.

Usually it's under C:\users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Calibre

Hope this helps.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #29
mconh
Connoisseur
mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, AuraHD, AuraH20
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
In theory, you can simply restore the preferences folder saved on one machine to the appropriate location on the new machine. How well this would work, however if you are also switching Operating Systems I have no idea.
I just copied my WIN7 Calibre Library folder and Preferences folder to my Vista laptop and it worked. All books settings and book meta data were copied. Calibre asked for the location of the new library and presto! Very good info from the thread. Thank you.
mconh is offline   Reply With Quote