Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-25-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Lenovo A1 Tablet/Reader

Well, we have had rumors and rumors, about the new Nook Tablets and
the New Kindle Tablets, and of course there are other Tablets that we
have heard rumors about.

The Lenovo A1 Ideapad caught my eye when it was presented a while
ago. It should be priced the same as the eReaders.
$199 for 8GB, $249 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB.
Since it is first of all a tablet, it has variations within the same model.

At those prices and with it's specs, it compares to the eReaders we are hearing about.

This is the Sept 24, 2011 latest info in a somewhat broken English/Chinese translation.
This publication claims that the Lenovo A1 Ideapad will be in stores in October.

http://bestcellularphones.blogspot.c...ease-date.html

"Lenovo Ideapad A1 Specifications :

7-inch display with 1024×600. Capacitive touch screen with IPS display
1 GHz ARM Cortex-A8 processor
Android Gingerbread 2.3
Dual Cameras : 1 MP front-camera and 3MP rear-camera
32 GB memory (expandable upto)
Offline GPS
WiFi and Bluetooth
Available in Black, white, pink and blue colors.

when lenovo ideapad a1 release date ? The Lenovo IdeaPad A1 will hit
the store shelves in October and is predicted to get great success
"

(It is supposed to have the Lenovo and Android Market Place)

I am really interested in seeing how it compares to the Nook and the Kindle.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Note how similar it is (visuals) to 7" tablet from Samsung:

kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I see one fewer button on the Lenovo.

That said, almost all tablets look alike now.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I won't comment on the product, but I must say that the name is slightly misleading. When I first saw it, I naturally assumed that A1 refers to the screen size. After a moment's thought, I realised that was highly unlikely (it would have to be an extremely large tablet). But what happens when it gets to A4 or A5? That's going to cause quite a bit of confusion. I'd be very disappointed if I thought I was getting an A4 screen and it was only 7 inches.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Lenovo are the third largest computer vendor in the world, so they should certainly have the resources available to properly develop a product of this type. It's good to see tablets hitting the mainstream computer makers in this way.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I won't comment on the product, but I must say that the name is slightly misleading. When I first saw it, I naturally assumed that A1 refers to the screen size. After a moment's thought, I realized that was highly unlikely (it would have to be an extremely large tablet). But what happens when it gets to A4 or A5? That's going to cause quite a bit of confusion. I'd be very disappointed if I thought I was getting an A4 screen and it was only 7 inches.
I think that Lenovo is not used to dealing with the literary crowd that interprets Letter Designations as page sizes.

Their other two tablets are the Ideapad "K1" ($449) and their top of the line, but with just a plain vanilla name "ThinkPad."

Usually in their offerings, Idea pad is the less expensive version relative to the Think Pad. Comes about from when IBM owned the brand.

The ThinkPad tablet is more than just wonderful. It has a digitizer pen similar to a Wacom Tablet, but it costs $499! That is steep for me. I might pay that and more for my Notebook or Desktop but those are "producing" machines.

Last edited by frahse; 09-26-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:38 AM   #7
frahse
occasional author

Ok. Here is so more info and though it might seem dated, Sept 1 2011 for original story in PC World this tablet has been around that long, just not yet brought to market.

I actually saw it on the Lenovo site, and have a page copy, and then they took it off. Maybe wasn't supposed to see it. I don't know.

One big thing is an on board GPS with maps and application that doesn't need a cellular or a WiFi connection just like your car GPS doesn't need those things.

More Lenovo A1 info

http://www.pcworld.com/article/23931...9_bargain.html

$199 Lenovo IdeaPad A1 Tablet

on board GPS with included
NavDroyd navigation app that
can be used at any time.
Android 2.3 Gingerbread
Lenovo has laid a custom UI on
top of the 2.3 including its
Launch Zone Widget,
Social Touch app (aggregates
email, calendar,
FB, Twitter, Linkedin, and more)
Lenovo App Shop (200 apps for
7" tablets, plus Android Market)
.47" thick
.88 pounds
4 colors - black, white, pink, light blue
magnesium alloy "roll cage" case
protecting internal components with
bumpers
front and rear cameras (3MP)
battery - 7 hours
minimal memory is 2GB, with
further versions of 8, 16, 32 GB
available.
microSD (up to 32GB)
microUSB
single core 1GHz Cortex A8 processor
7" touchscreen is capacitive touch
1024x600 (170 pixels per inch)
[Apple Ipad2 has only 132ppi on
a 9.7" screen]
]

Last edited by frahse; 09-26-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:05 AM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I posted the news about a month ago A1 link.

I'm waiting to see if Lenovo delivers. Theoretically they should since the specs. are very close to the nook's specs..

It's also the only 7" tablet that will have the same screen quality as the nook.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:29 AM   #9
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I posted the news about a month ago A1 link.

I'm waiting to see if Lenovo delivers. Theoretically they should since the specs. are very close to the nook's specs..

It's also the only 7" tablet that will have the same screen quality as the nook.

Good job!

I need two devices.

I will get either a Nook or a Amazon Tablet if they have limited (but free 3G.) If not, then the question will also be whether limited free 3G will be coming soon next year.

If no 3G seems to be in immediate sight, I will get one Lenovo A1, and wait for a little while to see if limited 3G shows up on the horizon.

No, they both aren't for me.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well B&N has discontinued all of their 3G models so don't expect the nook 2 to have one.

The only chances is Amazon, I'd be real interesting to see if they do offer 3G and what the condition are.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Lenovo are the third largest computer vendor in the world, so they should certainly have the resources available to properly develop a product of this type. It's good to see tablets hitting the mainstream computer makers in this way.
Well considering the no. one and two top PC vendors had a go at tablets and did an abysmal job, I'm not sure I'm buying into your rational.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Well considering the no. one and two top PC vendors had a go at tablets and did an abysmal job, I'm not sure I'm buying into your rational.
They failed because they priced wrong. The TouchPad was a smash hit once HP adjusted the price.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
They failed because they priced wrong. The TouchPad was a smash hit once HP adjusted the price.
True, but selling at massively below production cost is hardly a "winning strategy" for most companies .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
True, but selling at massively below production cost is hardly a "winning strategy" for most companies .
But $250 is doable and a price point that will succeed.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:39 PM   #15
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
They worked out they could lose money on each sale, but make it up in volume
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote