Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 08:39 AM   #1
Nick_Djinn
Edge User

Edge Not updating

It said that it was updating....I went into settings and clicked on check for updates, said it was installing it......never got a notification that it finished, checked back an hour later tested it again and still says that there is an update available like it never actually installed. I even tried rebooting. It didnt work.

I kind of wanted to reinstall the whole operating system anyway. Can anyone help me?

Old 09-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Djinn View Post
said it was installing it......never got a notification that it finished
"installing" or "downloading"?

Many people have problems with the Android update mechanism. The first step is downloading the patch, which happens in the background and takes 5-10 minutes typically. The second step is the actual install, which involves an immediate reboot and different boot screens indicating an update is in progress.

Once it's downloaded, the Notification bar (at the top of the LCD screen) will show a notification. Drag the notification bar down and you'll see an entry to actually install the system update. When it's installing, it will immediately reboot your eDGe. Since your post says nothing about the eDGe rebooting by itself (i.e., it was you that rebooted), I suspect you weren't aware of this second part of the update process.

Try checking for updates again, let it download, and then use the Notification to actually install.

Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
Nick_Djinn
Edge User

Never got a notification, even after rebooting.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
borisb
Edge User

There won't be any notification after a reboot.

Do the following:
1. In your Applications, run "Update"
2. The "eDGe Update Service" popop will check for an update and indicate if there is one. If there is one, press "Ok" (it actually will start downloading anyway).
3. Observe that at the top left corner of the LCD side you will see a small icon. It will either be animated, or will have a red number superimposed.
4. Give the eDGe 10 minutes to download. When it's done, the notification icon will no longer be animated, and simply be an upside down "T" shaped icon indicating that something has been downloaded
5. Press the "menu" button, then "Notifications".
6. At the top of the list you should see something like "A system update is ready to install"
7. Press the notification to proceed with the install
8. The installer will display a popup regarding ensuring you're on AC, and confirming to proceed. Go ahead and proceed.
9. The eDGe will almost immediately reboot
10. You will now see slightly different boot screens as the update is installed, including a special animated screen that shows the outline of a partially opened eDGe with a colour animated ribbon running through it
11. Once the update is ready, you'll be at the normal home screen.

Let me know at what point in Steps 1 through 11 your eDGe isn't doing/displaying what I've indicated. This will help me suggest things to try.