Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2011, 06:33 AM   #1
shieldsboy
shieldsboy began at the beginning.

Device: sony
Where does Kobo Desktop store books?

I have installed Kobo Desktop for PC and downloaded a book to it but now wish to move the book to a Dropbox directory.

But I cannot find the book on my hard disk.

Can anyone point me to the hard disk directory where the book is stored?

Many thanks,

Don
shieldsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Kobo desktop only reads Kobos own KEPUB format. So you probably want to download the standard ePub version and open it with, say, Adobe Digital Editions.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
larryt
Enthusiast
larryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
But where are the KOBO books stored on the hardrive. I can't find my either???
larryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
Laurencej
Laurencej began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by shieldsboy View Post
I have installed Kobo Desktop for PC and downloaded a book to it but now wish to move the book to a Dropbox directory.

But I cannot find the book on my hard disk.

Can anyone point me to the hard disk directory where the book is stored?

Many thanks,

Don
Hi Don,

I am using Windows 7 and Kobo stores its books here:
C:\Users\{user's name}\AppData\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kepub

I hope you have a program which can convert these Kobo books to a useable format for something other than Kobo's own Desktop reader.

Laurence
Laurencej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Don; to get a version of the book that is useful in other readers, or on DropBox, you need to go to the Kobo website www.kobobooks.com and head to the My Library tab. Here you will find the option to download an ePub version of your books.

This actually downloads an ACSM file that when opened via Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) will download the real ePub. This will be store in Documnets\My Digital Editions and is protected via DRM. We can't discuss here how to remove DRM; all we can say is google "Apprentice Alf".
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Don; to get a version of the book that is useful in other readers, or on DropBox, you need to go to the Kobo website www.kobobooks.com and head to the My Library tab. Here you will find the option to download an ePub version of your books.

This actually downloads an ACSM file that when opened via Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) will download the real ePub. This will be store in Documnets\My Digital Editions and is protected via DRM. We can't discuss here how to remove DRM; all we can say is google "Apprentice Alf".
Have you done this recently? I know in the past that there was an option to download the book as an epub file (with Adobe DRM), but that option does not appear to be available any more.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Have you done this recently? I know in the past that there was an option to download the book as an epub file (with Adobe DRM), but that option does not appear to be available any more.
That option is still there. You have to go to My Library>Purchases and beside each book that you purchased, you will see a blue DOWNLOAD EPUB button. You can also navigate to the same spot by opening the Desktop Application and then going to Account>Purchase History.

Last edited by Joe563; 12-31-2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: More info.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I do it all the time! Posisbly some books (maybe free ones) might not have that option; but it is the exception, not the rule.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #9
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I do it all the time! Posisbly some books (maybe free ones) might not have that option; but it is the exception, not the rule.
Yes, that seems to be the problem. The option is not there for free books.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:26 AM   #10
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
That option is still there. You have to go to My Library>Purchases and beside each book that you purchased, you will see a blue DOWNLOAD EPUB button. You can also navigate to the same spot by opening the Desktop Application and then going to Account>Purchase History.
It may also depend on the user's location. For example, when I go to kobobooks, I'm re-directed to the Canadian website at kobo.com/ca/en/. There it is seemingly possible to download an acsm at "My Account" > "My Books".

However, with the desktop version I have, v. 4.3.7007, there doesn't appear to be anywhere I can find that provides for downloading an acsm. Purchase History will take me to my books at secure.kobobooks.com, but there is no link to download at that location.

edit - With regard to free books acquired through Kobo, say Gutenberg versions, a link is provided directly to a downloadable epub, again at "My Account" > "My Books".

Last edited by k9reeder; 05-07-2017 at 06:38 AM.
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:50 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9reeder View Post
It may also depend on the user's location. For example, when I go to kobobooks, I'm re-directed to the Canadian website at kobo.com/ca/en/. There it is seemingly possible to download an acsm at "My Account" > "My Books".
As has been stated a few times in this thread, you need to click on the three dots at the end of the line for a book. That displays a menu with various options. One of them is to download the book.
Quote:
However, with the desktop version I have, v. 4.3.7007, there doesn't appear to be anywhere I can find that provides for downloading an acsm.
That is correct. The desktop app is managing the kepub version of the books.
Quote:
Purchase History will take me to my books at secure.kobobooks.com, but there is no link to download at that location.
The purchase history is exactly that. There is no way to download books.
Quote:
edit - With regard to free books acquired through Kobo, say Gutenberg versions, a link is provided directly to a downloadable epub, again at "My Account" > "My Books".
Huh, you seem to be contradicting your first statement. Or maybe you are expecting an ACSM file for all books? If the book does not have DRM, then the download link on the menu is to the epub, not an ACSM file. If it does have Adobe DRM, then the ACSM is downloaded for ADE to handle.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:54 AM   #12
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Huh, you seem to be contradicting your first statement.
No, I don't think I am. Perhaps you'd read my comment again.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:02 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, I don't think I am. Perhaps you'd read my comment again.
Your first statement said you couldn't find the ACSM. That means you couldn't work out how to download the ACSM. You last statement said you could work out how to download free books from PG. As the SAME mechanism is used to start both downloading either type of file (the ACSM and the free, DRM-free book) than you are contradicting yourself.

Either that, or I completely misunderstand what you are saying. In that case, please explain t again as I have read your post several times.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:03 AM   #14
k9reeder
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Your first statement said you couldn't find the ACSM. .
No, in fact it does not. Try reading closer. Also, my comments are in reference to the individual I quoted.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:12 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No, in fact it does not. Try reading closer. Also, my comments are in reference to the individual I quoted.
You said you go to the Canadian version of the Kobo site. Then you go to My Account" > "My Books". And you can't work out how to download an ACSM file. I told you how: Click the three dots on the end of the line and select "Download" from the menu. Maybe I should have added "And follow the prompts".

You then said you could download free PG books from the same place. Which means you did what I said: Clicked the three dots on the end of the line and selected "Download" from the menu. And followed the prompts.

The ONLY differences in these methods are:

- If the book has Adobe DRM, the prompt states this and mentions ADE in the instructions. For DRM free books, it states that and doesn't mention mentions ADE.

- When you click the "Download file" link on the prompt, you get different types of files that need to be handled differently.

Now, please tell me how I have misinterpreted your post. I honestly want to know. Telling me to "read my comments" doesn't help, as I have read them and posted my reaction to them. Apparently I got this wrong, so tell me how.