Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
HunterZ
HunterZ is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Calibre puts garbage JPG files on the Nook

So I've used Calibre 0.7.14 to put some EPUB-format books onto my stock Nook, and I noticed that along with the EPUB files it also uploads JPG files that just contain vertical lines in various colors. It looks like these are maybe supposed to be thumbnails of the book covers, but I guess something is going wrong with Calibre when it makes them. Anyone know what's up?

Thanks.

Edit: I've attached one of the JPG files so you can see what I'm talking about.
Attached Images

Last edited by HunterZ; 08-14-2010 at 02:16 PM.
HunterZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
WHat operating system is this on?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
HunterZ

Windows XP Pro SP3.

I browsed to the Calibre library folder tree on my hard drive and drive and found a full-size cover JPG that it extracted from the EPUB and it looks fine, so it seems to have just messed up the thumbnail conversion or something.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Works for me on linux, can somebody else using the nook with windows confirm this bug.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
HunterZ

Maybe I should try booting Ubuntu and installing Calibre there and then have it access my library that I've created in the Windows version since you know that the Linux version will generate thumbnails properly.

I did compare Calibre's Nook driver code to the Apple driver code and noticed that they do thumbnails completely differently. I also noticed that almost none of the other drivers really do thumbnails at all.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
HunterZ

I just updated to Calibre 0.7.17 and this is still happening (attaching a new screenshot). I also got a PM from another forum member who may be having the same issue; I encouraged him/her to post here as well.

Testing out the Linux version of Calibre is in progress; I installed Calibre on my Ubuntu disk but didn't have my Nook handy at the time.

Edit: Linux 0.7.17 seems to work fine, so it's definitely a Windows specific issue for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.PNG
Views:	263
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	57588   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled2.PNG
Views:	269
Size:	381.9 KB
ID:	57589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (Modified).png
Views:	290
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	57590  

Last edited by HunterZ; 09-03-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterZ View Post
I just updated to Calibre 0.7.17 and this is still happening (attaching a new screenshot). I also got a PM from another forum member who may be having the same issue; I encouraged him/her to post here as well.
Since it seems that currently the 2 you are the exception to the rule. Talk with this other user and see if you both run some unique piece of software, graphics card or processor that is interfering with this process.

Quote:
Testing out the Linux version of Calibre is in progress; I installed Calibre on my Ubuntu disk but didn't have my Nook handy at the time.
Since the two you run different versions of Windows I'm curious if Ubuntu will give you problems.

I'm also surprised that others haven't come forward with this error.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
HunterZ

Updated previous post with screenshot of it working properly in Ubuntu 10.04 on the same machine that is having problems via Windows XP.

Edit: Oh, the person who PM'd me already posted a thread on this and he's using Vista: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95983

So it looks like it can happen on both XP and Vista, but works fine on the same machine on Ubuntu.

Last edited by HunterZ; 09-03-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Edit: Oh, the person who PM'd me already posted a thread on this and he's using Vista: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95983

So it looks like it can happen on both XP and Vista, but works fine on the same machine on Ubuntu.
I referred him to you in that thread to see if you all could figure out what you each had in common that is causing this.

Good Luck.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
HunterZ

I think I may have found a piece of the puzzle. The machine on which I run Calibre is my old desktop, so I've converted it to a sort of server/workstation that I log into via Remote Desktop. On a hunch, I decided to try connecting via VNC instead of Remote Desktop to see if that would affect anything, and interestingly it made Calibre's Nook cover thumbnail generation work properly (see screenshot).

My guess is that the library (or whatever) that Calibre is using to generate the cover thumbnails for the Nook is dependent on some video hardware feature that Remote Desktop doesn't emulate properly. UltraVNC captures the remote computer's video via different methods that apparently don't cause Calibre to malfunction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	282
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	57591  
Old 09-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
My guess is that the library (or whatever) that Calibre is using to generate the cover thumbnails for the Nook is dependent on some video hardware feature that Remote Desktop doesn't emulate properly. UltraVNC captures the remote computer's video via different methods that apparently don't cause Calibre to malfunction.
That does indeed sound like a unique setup that you both might have been running, great work!
Old 09-03-2010, 09:28 PM   #12
HunterZ

I've updated bug #4828 in the Calibre bug tracker with a link to this thread in hopes that it helps lead to a fix: http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/4828
Old 09-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Interesting, thumbnail generation happens using Qt, I'll look into switching it to IMageMagick, if it does not take too much work.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #14
WJMuldowney
Connoisseur
WJMuldowney began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Works for me on linux, can somebody else using the nook with windows confirm this bug.

Yes, same exact bug using Windows Vista.
WJMuldowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:55 PM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJMuldowney View Post
Yes, same exact bug using Windows Vista.
Read the last few posts. Is your problem caused by the same source (see post 10)? The question is are you using a remote connection to your box?

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-03-2010 at 11:58 PM.