Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-22-2016, 11:25 AM   #1426
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
There is a fine line between not enough updates, and too frequent updates with not enough QA.
I don't think they have it quite right yet, and given that you cant just rollback an app, like a pc program, I vote for slower with more testing.
I see amazon version is still at 3.0.9
I have taken to using app backup for each Google store version but I have not tried to go back a version using local backups.
Maybe they should have a beta channel, like calibre Campanion app.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:46 AM   #1427
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
May have to wipe things out and start fresh.
After completely uninstalling Bookari (database and all) and doing a fresh install of 3.0.11 Premium, none of my EPUB3s are being rendered using the EPUB3 engine. It's like it doesn't recognize any of them as being EPUB3s.

It's not like most of my books will have a problem being read with the EPUB2 RMSDK engine, but i really, really (did I mention "really?") prefer the EPUB3 engine for reading.

Nexus 7(2013) with latest Marshmallow updates.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2016, 01:04 PM   #1428
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hate having to uninstall mantano/bookari because all themes are then lost & there is no way to back them up beforehand , they are not stored in the .db with everything else. That is also why I am nervous about testing rollback via local app backup, I spent ages getting theme colours just right and there's not way to re-enter as digital values -

I have never seen the alleged "open with... " option in the bookshelf but to be fair I only have epub2 books, maybe it is only supposed to show up on an epub3

and FWIW i really dislike the way that some new releases introduce bugs not previously present e.g. for me 3.07 broke the custom text colours in my themes , they were fine in 3.01 - 3.06 , & the bug was fixed in 3.09 so broken for 2 - 3 weeks - and for you 3.10/11 has broken an epub3 feature - these things need to be caught in QA before release to store

Last edited by stumped; 06-22-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #1429
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I have never seen the alleged "open with... " option in the bookshelf but to be fair I only have epub2 books, maybe it is only supposed to show up on an epub3
Yes. You would only see it on epub3 books.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:43 PM   #1430
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
...but i really, really (did I mention "really?") prefer the EPUB3 engine for reading.
What have I missed? If the epubs are actually EPUB2, are there extra features available by using the EPUB3 engine?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2016, 01:57 PM   #1431
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
What have I missed? If the epubs are actually EPUB2, are there extra features available by using the EPUB3 engine?
No. You can't read epub2 books with the epub3 engine. You can only choose to read epub3 books with the epub2 engine if you want (or you used to be able to anyway).

My books ARE epub3. If they're not already when I buy them, I convert them to epub3 myself before I read them.

The reason I prefer Bookari's epub3 engine is because I get a finer-grained control over font-size, and because it displays italics correctly (all the time) when using a custom reading font. And because of pop-up foot-notes.

It'll get straightened around--I'm not worried. Wouldn't be the first time I had to roll back to an earlier version to wait out an issue.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-22-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:22 PM   #1432
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
No. You can't read epub2 books with the epub3 engine. You can only choose to read epub3 books with the epub2 engine if you want (or you used to be able to anyway).

My books ARE epub3. If they're not already when I buy them, I convert them to epub3 myself before I read them.

The reason I prefer Bookari's epub3 engine is because I get a finer-grained control over font-size, and because it displays italics correctly (all the time) when using a custom reading font. And because of pop-up foot-notes.

It'll get straightened around--I'm not worried. Wouldn't be the first time I had to roll back to an earlier version to wait out an issue.
Ah, OK, thanks

FWIW I also think the chunky font-size jumps in Bookari are annoying. It's the only epub reader I have with this problem. I solved the Bookari errors quirks with custom fonts in EPUB2 by using an @import to a CSS file stored on my Android device. It seems more reliable.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:52 PM   #1433
Steadyhands
Connoisseur
Steadyhands began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
I'm missing all of the descriptions since a recent OS upgrade. Running the latest version of Bookari.

The Story. My Galaxy Tab S2 recently upgraded to Marshmallow and as a result I lost the links to my books. I store all of my library on the external SD card and the Marshmallow upgrade changed how the card is referenced. Yes, I know using the ext card is not the recommended.

After the upgrade the books were there but Bookari couldn't find them because of the change in the folder path. I uninstalled/reinstalled Bookari with no change in the situation. I then uninstalled Bookari again and also deleted the DB file that had not been deleted as part of the uninstall.

A reinstall and rescan of the books folder added all the books back. The only issue I have now is they are all missing descriptions.
Steadyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:32 PM   #1434
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Most of my issues were resolved with version 3.0.12. EPUB3s are now recognized upon import (and use the EPUB3 renderer). Yay!

I'm noticing a slight issue of Bookari not remembering what page I'm on for a book (EPUB3-only. EPUB2 doesn't seem to suffer from this). But only after closing a book completely. When I launch the book again, it usually opens to where I have to tap forward once or twice to get to the proper place. No problems if I leave Bookari running in the background with my book open, though. So not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

Bookmarks are acting a little hinky (but I don't use them much). When I set one; close the book and reopen the book, the red bookmark isn't visible anymore. I page around, and it's just not there. I can open the navigation menu and go to the bookmark tab and use it to go to the location I bookmarked, but the red bookmark still isn't visible. I have to delete the bookmark from the navigation menu. Again: this is with EPUB3s. EPUB2s red bookmark doesn't disappear.

It's back to a couple of minor details I can deal with after this update. So I backed up this version for peace-of-mind purposes.

@Steadyhands:
I'm not seeing any descriptions in a book's info with this latest version, either. EPUB2 or EPUB3. I don't need them myself, but I thought I'd let you know.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-26-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:11 AM   #1435
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Most of my issues were resolved with version 3.0.12. EPUB3s are now recognized upon import (and use the EPUB3 renderer). Yay!

I'm noticing a slight issue of Bookari not remembering what page I'm on for a book (EPUB3-only. EPUB2 doesn't seem to suffer from this). But only after closing a book completely. When I launch the book again, it usually opens to where I have to tap forward once or twice to get to the proper place. No problems if I leave Bookari running in the background with my book open, though. So not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

Bookmarks are acting a little hinky (but I don't use them much). When I set one; close the book and reopen the book, the red bookmark isn't visible anymore. I page around, and it's just not there. I can open the navigation menu and go to the bookmark tab and use it to go to the location I bookmarked, but the red bookmark still isn't visible. I have to delete the bookmark from the navigation menu. Again: this is with EPUB3s. EPUB2s red bookmark doesn't disappear.

It's back to a couple of minor details I can deal with after this update. So I backed up this version for peace-of-mind purposes.

@Steadyhands:
I'm not seeing any descriptions in a book's info with this latest version, either. EPUB2 or EPUB3. I don't need them myself, but I thought I'd let you know.
Amazon is only on version 3.0.9, so I guess you use the Google Play store.

I doubt my problems are fixed anyway.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:21 AM   #1436
Steadyhands
Connoisseur
Steadyhands began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
Quote:
@Steadyhands:
Ok, thanks.
Steadyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:25 AM   #1437
stumped
Wizard

Quote:

How easy is it to convert to epub3 please
I would like the font sizes benefits also,
can I do this simply with sigil, for existing books.
Would that break reading them in moon reader sometimes
Old 06-26-2016, 05:40 AM   #1438
Jean-Marie
Mantano President&Founder
Jean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the rough

Device: Many, many...
Hi all,
I'm following your discussions since yesterday, and investigating the issues reported. I can't reply to all, but in a few words:
- Description in Book's details: it is correctly displayed on all my test configs, I don't know why you don't see it.
- Highlights in Epub 3: I am working on it, I have reproduced the issues (too easily in fact)
- Amazon: we could publish an update there but maybe it would be better to wait for next release
- QA and BETA tests: yes we definitely must improve, I am the first to recognize it. We're doing so much deep changes (we're very active on the development of the Epub 3 viewer engine, for example). I'd be very, very glad to open the door to new beta-testers and establish an ongoing discussion with them: are some of you interested ? I will post here instructions later if you want.

Have a nice day !
JM
Jean-Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:53 AM   #1439
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
How easy is it to convert to epub3 please
I would like the font sizes benefits also,
can I do this simply with sigil, for existing books.
Would that break reading them in moon reader sometimes
Sigil is exactly what I use to convert to epub3. Or more specifically ... KevinH's Epub3-itzer plugin for Sigil. Makes it simple.

I've no idea what Moon+ would do with an epub3. I was never able to warm up to that app. It allows you to display an epub every which way except the way I want to see it, it seems.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:11 AM   #1440
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marie View Post
- Description in Book's details: it is correctly displayed on all my test configs, I don't know why you don't see it.
Often it seems that trouble-shooting these issues is compounded by cumulative updates vs fresh install (empty db).

The descriptive text for instance: during the normal update process, only the newest imports started dropping the description. Books imported under previous versions still showed their descriptions. Once Bookari was completely re-installed (and db wiped), no imported books were showing descriptions.

The same thing occurred with my epub3 issue: epub3s imported with earlier versions were using the epub3 renderer ... newly imported epub3s were not. And once a fresh install of 3.0.9/10 (ish) was done (db wiped), no epub3s imported would use the epub3 renderer anymore.

Once 3.0.12 seemed to fix my epub3 issue, the first thing I did was to completely wipe Bookari and reinstall to see if everything was still working. And it was (with the exception of those piddly--for me--details I mentioned above).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marie View Post
- QA and BETA tests: yes we definitely must improve, I am the first to recognize it. We're doing so much deep changes (we're very active on the development of the Epub 3 viewer engine, for example). I'd be very, very glad to open the door to new beta-testers and establish an ongoing discussion with them: are some of you interested ? I will post here instructions later if you want.
I'm certainly interested and willing. I think I tried to respond to an invitation to do so earlier in the thread, but my email apparently didn't make it to the address you referred to (granted the address was given in internet-anti-spam speak).