Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by roman220 View Post
Thank you, great application. Sorry for newbie question how can I change layout to qwerty? Thanks.
JF posted eariler that a qwerty layout was a possible future addition.
I.E: It requires programming, it isn't a selectable option (yet).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:22 AM   #17
JoppyFurr
Coding fuzzball
JoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by roman220 View Post
Thank you, great application. Sorry for newbie question how can I change layout to qwerty? Thanks.
Hi, if you have tcc installed on your kindle, you can do this:

1) In your favorite text editor, open keyboard.h
2) Looking at the layout of the file, it should be fairly straightforward to see how to change the keys to what you want.
3) Save the modified keyboard.h
4) Using SSH on your kindle, run build.sh

That should generate a new 'main' executible, which you can copy into the JoppyTerm folder if you want to have it run from GUILauncher.

At some point in future versions, I'll add some kind of settings menu, where things like font size, layout, colour inversion, etc, can be controlled without modifying the code.

Also:
Exams are now over *does a little dance*
I've now got some more time to develop the code, so hopefully I'll have a new update out within a day or two. I'm currently working on adding support for ANSI escape codes, so programs that make use of them will be able to work correctly once I've finished the update.
JoppyFurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 04:51 AM   #18
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Here we go with the QWERTY keyboard variation of JoppyFur Terminal for KT 5.1.0. All karma goes to JoppyFur. (Update: for KT 5.0.1 go here)

Thanks for this little awesome Kindle Touch terminal boy/girl! It's endlessly useful.
Attached Files
File Type: zip JoppyTerminal_QWERTY_KT5.1.0.zip (23.9 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by thatworkshop; 06-14-2012 at 04:35 AM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #19
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

UPDATE: Now it works, please go to this post to find out how!

This doesn't work on KT 5.0.1!!! I can run it, but keyboard doesn't work! Does it depend on a library that was present in 5.1.0?

Last edited by thatworkshop; 06-14-2012 at 04:26 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #20
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Last I looked it did not depend on any libraries. Unlike my touchpaint code, this does not check to see which event device is the zforce touchscreen. Its assumptions about which device only work when booted from main. If you boot from diags, you need to swap the event device number 2/3...

Did you use diags SSH to test it?

Also, code compiled using the 5.1.0 header files will NOT work on 5.0.x if it uses eink ioctl updates, and if compiled with 5.0.x headers eink ioctl updates will not work on 5.1.x. Calling eips should work fine though.

You did not say HOW it is not working. Is the problem with eink updates, or with touchscreen?

Also, if touchscreen is not working, you may need to tap the power button...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2012, 12:51 AM   #21
thatworkshop
hub

As I said, the terminal runs but I can't type. And yes your awesome programs run here too my friend!

I think I found a catch, here we go:
First I executed the binary file of Joppy Terminal which I took from my KT 5.1.0. It was compiled with TCC v1.6a... So I tried to compile it on my KT 5.0.1 with TCC v1.5 and although it is compiled, it gives the following error (and the binary file produced with this TCC has the same issue):
tcc: file '/usr/lib/libpthread_nonshared.a' not found

I think libpthread and libthread_db were one of the damn additions of KT 5.1.0 (well not sure about that) but they were one of reasons I had so much trouble with WAF apps.

Last edited by thatworkshop; 06-14-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #22
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
As I said, the terminal runs but I can't type. And yes your awesome programs run here too my friend!

First I executed the binary file of Joppy Terminal which I took from my KT 5.1.0. It was compiled with TCC v1.6a... So I tried to compile it on my KT 5.0.1 with TCC v1.5 and although it is compiled, but it gives this error:

I think libpthread and libthread_db were one of the damn additions of KT 5.1.0 (well not sure about that) but they were one of reason I had so much trouble with WAF apps.
GM tcc installation process and the tccmake script deals with that error (updates the LD Control Script.so file causing the error).

If you just move the static tcc application yourself, you get to fix the ld control script file yourself also.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #23
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

First I executed the binary file of Joppy Terminal which I took from my KT 5.1.0. It was compiled with TCC v1.6a... So I tried to compile it on my KT 5.0.1 with TCC v1.5 and although it is compiled (it does produce the binary file), but it gives this error:

I think libpthread and libthread_db were one of the damn additions of KT 5.1.0 (well not sure about that) but they were one of reason I had so much trouble with WAF apps.
Just run the tcc installer again to fix that problem.

And like I said SSH from diags uses a different touchscreen event device number. The correct way to use it is to scan for it like I do in my sigcap script. Look up how that works. It works in both main and diags boots which use different touchscreen (zforce) event device numbers...

You did not answer my question. WHICH ssh are you using: main or diags? JoppyTerm (the version I looked at) only works from main unless you change the zforce device number and recompile it (or better yet make it work from both main and diags SSH)...

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-14-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:18 AM   #24
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You did not answer my question. WHICH ssh are you using: main or diags?
Oops! my bad... I'm using SSH in main. And it is stuck there, I have to reboot!
And installing tcc again didn't do it!
Old 06-14-2012, 01:31 AM   #25
geekmaster

Quote:
Oops! my bad... I'm using SSH in main. And it is stuck there, I have to reboot!
And installing tcc again didn't do it!
Do you have the newest tcc package. Did you uninstall and then reinstall it?

There are eink header incompatibilities between different 5.x versions. My latest code does NOT use the eink headers. It is safer to call eips to do the screen updates, which should work on all kindles. I need to look at the latest JoppyTerm code again to see how it works.

It probably stuck because it paused the framework. You can resume it yourself from SSH, using the same commands the terminal uses (if it pauses it). Again, I need to look at the code when I have time...

EDIT: I looked at the code. I has grown a lot since I last looked at it. I see that constants.h shows that it looks at event3. Diags uses event2. It does use eips calls so it should work on 5.1.x and 5.0.x firmware. It does pause and resume the framework. While running, the desktop framework does not work until you do the resume command shown in constants.h.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-14-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:45 AM   #26
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
Do you have the newest tcc package. Did you uninstall and then reinstall it?

There are eink header incompatibilities between different 5.x versions. My latest code does NOT use the eink headers. It is safer to call eips to do the screen updates, which should work on all kindles. I need to look at the latest JoppyTerm code again to see how it works.

It probably stuck because it paused the framework. You can resume it yourself from SSH, using the same commands the terminal uses (if it pauses it). Again, I need to look at the code when I have time...

EDIT: I looked at the code. I has grown a lot since I last looked at it. I see that constants.h shows that it looks at event3. Diags uses event2. It does use eips calls so it should work on 5.1.x and 5.0.x firmware. It does pause and resume the framework. While running, the desktop framework does not work until you do the resume command shown in constants.h.
Thanks GM, you saved me from a reboot, but no it doesn't work! I compiled it with both TCC versions! And uninstalled and installed several times.

Last edited by thatworkshop; 06-14-2012 at 04:00 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:52 AM   #27
geekmaster

Quote:
Thanks GM, you saved me from a reboot, but no it doesn't work! I compiled it with both TCC versions!
Okay, I only tested it on 5.0.4 and 5.1.0. I suppose it needs to fix ANOTHER problem with a missing 5.0.1 symlink or something. Not easy for me to test now that I have 5.1.0 installed. Please examine the tcc scripts to see if you can figure out how to make it work with 5.0.1, and post your results to the tcc thread. Okay?

Oh... wait... you compiled it with BOTH tcc versions? Does that mean that tcc worked for you now, but the terminal program does not work?

MY touchscreen code automatically works for both main and diags touchscreen event devices. Perhaps 5.0.1 main works more like 5.0.4 diags. Try my "sigcap" script to see if that works: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2081471

EDIT: The constants.h file does say "Assuming a Kindle Touch running firmware 5.1.0". Of course, it could be modified to work ALWAYS, like the gmsigcap script...

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-14-2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:08 AM   #28
thatworkshop
hub

gmsigcap works like a charm.
TCC v1.5 still has that error when compiling.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:05 AM   #29
geekmaster

Quote:
gmsigcap works like a charm.
TCC v1.5 still has that error when compiling.
"That error" is because you need to compile with tccmake, which temporarily bind mounts a replacement file to prevent that error message.

What command are you using that "still has that error"? It is hard to determine your problem without enough details...

If you are calling tcc directly, you need to manually do the commands in the tccmake script.

It is easier just to use the tccmake script, as shown in other posts in that thread.

P.S. When I get around to completing my touchscreen terminal program, it will only be a small amount of code, and it will support other kindles using the 5-way pad too, and it will output an event device stream to a pipe so it can EASILY patch into older programs designed for DX and K3 (like muPDF). When I get around to it, of course... Dev Corner indexing has sucked up too much of my time recently.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-14-2012 at 03:11 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:55 AM   #30
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
What command are you using that "still has that error"? It is hard to determine your problem without enough details...
It does compile with tccmake, as I just use build.sh from JoppyFur:
tccmake main drawing.c text.c keyboard.c term.c -lpthread -lutil
Apparently, eliminating -lpthread is neither an option nor a solution.