Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-13-2015, 03:40 AM   #1246
monry
monry began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Recent firmware added options in the reading settings about what to show in the footer. The choices are page number, percent read and time left. And there is a choice as to whether to display them for the current chapter or the whole book. Then when reading, if you do a long press on the number displayed, it will change the displayed value.
I understand that. What I meant is that it displays pages/percentages/time left to the next image instead of next chapter. I've downloaded book once again from the store to see if maybe this was resolved inside of it but nothing changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Kepubs are supposed to be one ToC entry per internal file. If you have more than one ToC entry pointing to a file, the per chapter page numbering isn't correctly handled. I assume this also affects the remaining time, but I haven't tested that part of it.
This is quite funny cause I've tried to change what is displayed later yesterday and pages and percentages are correct but time is still 0 minutes. Some of my books are perfectly fine and some are affected. This wouldn't bother me if the chart was good cause I'm using pages numbering in footer but there are flat chapters on it and I can't see how long is the next one for example. Any ideas?
Edit: OK I now validated this epub with W3C validator and it has no problems..

Last edited by monry; 04-13-2015 at 05:34 AM.
monry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:25 AM   #1247
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
The time displayed is to the next TOC entry I believe. Take a look at the book in calibre, if it doesn't have any stupid DRM, and see if that's the case. If it is, the publisher broke the book, and although it's technically valid ePub is clearly wrong. You can do a lot of things that are clearly bad and wrong that are still valid and correct
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #1248
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by monry View Post
I understand that. What I meant is that it displays pages/percentages/time left to the next image instead of next chapter. I've downloaded book once again from the store to see if maybe this was resolved inside of it but nothing changed.

This is quite funny cause I've tried to change what is displayed later yesterday and pages and percentages are correct but time is still 0 minutes. Some of my books are perfectly fine and some are affected. This wouldn't bother me if the chart was good cause I'm using pages numbering in footer but there are flat chapters on it and I can't see how long is the next one for example. Any ideas?
Edit: OK I now validated this epub with W3C validator and it has no problems..
As jgoguen said, the per chapter timing, percent and page numbers are to the next chapter in the book. For a kepub, chapter is defined in two ways: the ToC and the files within the kepub. The value displayed depends on how big the chapter is. If it is only one page, the time remaining will be zero.

From what you say, the book has images in it. I think each image is in a separate file. So, it is probably the chapter heading with text in one file, then the image in the next and then some more text in the next. The per chapter stats is based on those files. I have just done an experiment with an epub that was constructed like this and it worked how you described it.

As I said before, every file in a kepub is supposed to have a ToC entry. If they don't it works, but you get strange things like this. The extended driver doesn't fix the ToC. Doing a conversion to kepub can update the ToC. That uses the full conversion pipeline rather than the much simpler processing the driver does. This works for most books, but this demonstrates there are some short comings.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:19 AM   #1249
monry

The books with '0 min issue' don't have any images. I took a look at the toc file and.. I can't really tell if it's good or bad unfortunalety. I will try to convert to kepub with plugin and if this won't work I will propably just stick to epub without stats
Old 04-13-2015, 11:58 AM   #1250
monry

OK, so the TOC is what's broken. As always guys you are correct So what I did: in Convert books menu in Table of Contents I chose 'Force use of auto-generated...'. It actually helped with stats working properly BUT I lost all the subchapters information completely.
So I tried option 'Insert inline Table of Contents' option in Kepub Output and it gave me pretty nice ToC. Can i somehow force calibre to put it as main ToC file? By default it only attaches it to the book in the beginning or at the end. Below are the shots of original (left) and generated by Kepub Output (right) TOCs.
Spoiler:

PS Standard conversion to Kepub doesn't update ToC in a way that would help.
PS2 OK, now I see that there is a toc.ncx file as well, not only xhtml one. I have no idea what I'm doing

Last edited by monry; 04-13-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:39 PM   #1251
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, PB360, Kobo Glo/AuraHD/Aura6"/AuraH2O
@monry,

I've no wish to cause further confusion but ... rather than using conversion to fix the TOC have you considered using calibre's TOC Editor instead. It edits the TOC NCX not the in-book page(s) of hyperlinks.

If your original epub has a faulty TOC you can open it in the calibre TOC Editor where you can delete all existing TOC entries then choose the 'Generate TOC from files' option. This will guarantee that you get one entry per file. It may also mean some hand-editing of the TOC entry text if calibre has 'guessed wrong' what the label should be.

Once you know the epub TOC is perfect you can convert epub-to-kepub. You'll also need to make sure your conversion options don't interfere with the newly-perfected TOC, e.g. disable 'Force use of auto-generated TOC' and also check the settings on the Convert - Structure Detection page - particularly the 'Detect chapters at' option (I set mine to '/' when I want the TOC to be left alone)
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:55 PM   #1252
monry

Thanks! I didn't know about this editor, I was looking at the files..
But in the editor, the ToC file of the epub looks fine..
Now I see, there are multiple entries to the same file, but different location inside it. Is it forbidden for kepubs?

OK! I've managed it. Works perfect. So now I'm checking ToC with editor for every book and simply sending epub with KoboTouchExtended. I have last question though: options Replace Content Language Code, Clean up ePub Markup and Hyphenate Files should be ticked? They are by default on with Kepub Output and off with KoboTouchExtended.

Last edited by monry; 04-13-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:23 PM   #1253
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The answer to that is "it depends on you". I think they should be checked, so I default then to on where I can. The language code sets the book language internal code based on what you see the language as in calibre, the markup cleaning removes things that shouldn't be needed (blank paragraphs, empty div tags, etc.), and the hyphenation adds a CSS file to the book that instructs the renderer to hyphenate words according to the internal language code if it's one that the Kobo reader supports.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:37 PM   #1254
monry

So if I want my books to look exactly like the original but to support stats it is safe for me to untick this options?
Old 04-13-2015, 05:56 PM   #1255
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Yes, they're safe to uncheck.