Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-13-2015, 09:12 PM   #3511
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Short answer: Nope, but nice thinking .

Long answer: Not without a couple of changes at least (currently we don't even listen for the opening of PDFs, for instance), and most importantly hoping that the firmware does something non-stupid with PDFs that gives us a way to identify those reliably. Which I'm not terribly sure is the case, but I'll admit to not having looked at it much, if ever.
Given you can determine the file is a PDF, an md5sum would be a good way to reliably identify them that runs quick. That would give you a unique 32 hex digit identifier to use where you use the ASIN in the cover name.

I don't know how many PDFs include a cover image, but I would think the first page a logical place for one to be located. If the first page is obviously text then it seems likely that no cover was included.

I guess you could add this to your "wish list" at some point.

Thanks for your work on this enhancement to the kindle software.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:10 PM   #3512
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@dhdurgee: the issue is not how *we* can ID them, but how does the *framework* does it, and if we can catch that and link that back to a physical file. Supposedly it does, and hopefully in a unique-ish manner, since it's in the DB, but then again, we're not relying on the DB keys here, so all may not be rosy.

In any case, that would only ever be for manual cover processing, PDF is a whole other kettle of fish compared to Mobi, so pulling & processing covers automatically, even if there were any (which, I'm fairly sure there aren't, which would leave processing the first page) is out of the question .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2015, 09:04 AM   #3513
vicsKindle
vicsKindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard
0.13.N jaibreak with old language pack.... not compatible?

Hello,

thank you very much for the great work. I am a complete newbie to the idea of jailbreak, which I have come to because I want to give my old Kindle3 wifi to my parents, since they need a language update on it (have no English to speak of)

I ran the 0.13.N jailbreak (Update_jailbreak_0.13.N_k3w_install.bin) on the kindle, which worked like a charm (but I had wifi enabled...), and then I wanted to install a German language pack that I found googling (not on this web page, update_loc_de_0.95_k3w_install.bin), and that didn't work (no update feature enabled and after manual restart it said update fialed with a u0007 (or similar) error code).

Could it be that I need to use the old 0.11N Jailbreak version, since this is an old package from 2012? Is there maybe another language pack floating around that I can use rahter than havin gto mess with the jailbreak?

Thanks a lot for any help,
vicsKindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #3514
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Does the k3 not incude a German localization?
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:03 PM   #3515
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsKindle View Post
- - - - -
I wanted to install a German language pack that I found googling (not on this web page, update_loc_de_0.95_k3w_install.bin), and that didn't work (no update feature enabled and after manual restart it said update fialed with a u0007 (or similar) error code).
- - - - -
Without a link to the actual package you downloaded, only a general answer can be given:

Update Kindle grayed out -> *.bin package is not for your model kindle (or was not signed with our developer certificate).

Will not install with a manual restart -> entirely normal, it isn't intended to be installed that way.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #3516
vicsKindle

Hi, thanks for the answers.

Unfortunately there is no built in language pack - shocking right?

@knc1: Well, if you don't mind taking a peak, here is the link to the package.

http://ge.tt/109N8FL, it is the 0.95d version I tried.

Thanks,

Last edited by vicsKindle; 05-09-2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:59 PM   #3517
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Kindle "Jail break" is our public signing key. It hasn't changed.

Since this changes strings in the binary *.jar files, it may also be firmware version specific.

So, what firmware version do you have installed?
Old 05-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #3518
vicsKindle

@knc1: thanks for taking the time to explain and to look into this.

Firmware is 3.4.1 (2540470001)
and if ever this is relevant and not already obvious: serial number starts with Boo8

Last edited by vicsKindle; 05-09-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:10 PM   #3519
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsKindle View Post
@knc1: thanks for taking the time to explain and to look into this.

Firmware is 3.4.1 (2540470001)
and if ever this is relevant and not already obvious: serial number starts with Boo8
Don't get your hopes up to high, that package was before my time here.
But, I might get lucky and find something.

- - - -

NOTE:
For a K3 running 3.4.1 (and some earlier versions) -
Ignore any directions (anywhere) about using the "ENABLE_DIAGS" flag filename.
You have to have a serial port connection to get it out of diags and back into 'main' mode.

(Not a rumor - I own one myself.)
Old 05-16-2015, 12:40 PM   #3520
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Haven't looked at the package in detail, but I'm with knc1 on that one, it's highly FW-specific, and is aimed at an older firmware version.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:50 PM   #3521
vicsKindle

Ok, thanks a lot - but I am not sure if this insight can be used so I can indeed install the package??? Is there anything I can do?

If not, I would like to thank you guys anyhow - it's really amazing work you do! Keep up the good work!
Old 06-14-2015, 10:27 AM   #3522
jackieone
jackieone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I have a Kindle keyboard, prefix B 006, firmware 3.4.1 and when I install the associated file to the root via my computer "Update_jailbreak_0.13.N_k3g_install.bin"
the message displayed after upload begins is "Found another jailbreak, aborted" and the process stops. All I want to accomplish is to change the screensavers to my own pictures. Can you help?
jackieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #3523
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@jackieone: What it says on the tin. You, or the previous owner of the device if it's second-hand, have installed a different JB (most likely yifan's) at one point in time, and they are mutually exclusive.

You'll have to remember/figure out what was done to the device and undo it before being able to update your JB.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:34 PM   #3524
jackieone
jackieone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for your quick post!

So, we've established there was a previous jailbreak. I may be able to locate that in my downloads from a few years back. So, I...do what, put the "uninstall" .bin in the Kindle root, and Home, Menu, Settings, Update...then reinstall the newer one?

See, what's funny about this, is that I remember having the jailbreak installed, and loaded all my cool screensaver pix, but then something unrelated messed up and I had to do a factory reset. I would have thought that reset had removed the previous jailbreak. It sure took away the linkss file, and all my pix!
LOL!

So, let me try this, and if I have problems, I'll post. Thanks again for your time with this.
jackieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:07 AM   #3525
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Fctory reset clears the userstore (Kindle Drive) wiping out the hack folders there -- but doesn't clear out the jailbreak and other pieces of hacks that are on the hidden OS partition.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet