Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Lost K3 - looking for a replacement

It was my own fault, but my beloved K3 (aka Kindle Keyboard) is gone. I left it in the seat-back pocket on a flight 2 weeks ago and I'm heartbroken. I'm not thrilled at the available "new" Kindles. The Kindle basic would be fine if it came with Whispernet (3G/4G) as well as Wi-Fi. The Paperwhite has got both the touch interface (which I detest) and the internal light (which I'm not thrilled about).

So -- my options appear to be picking up a used K3 somewhere or hoping for a new Kindle with e-Ink screen to be announced, maybe in time for Christmas. Any suggestions on which way to go?
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you tried using a PW? I too used to be very sceptical about touch screens, but now I'm a convert. Amazon have an extremely generous returns policy; why not get a PW and see if it grows on you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
WaltC
Harmonious Grump
WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle Touch, Nook HD, iPad 3, Voyage
Sorry about your lost Kindle; hope you deregistered it. In terms of a replacement, it sounds like you've captured the best choices.

There are rumors of a new paperwhite, possibly with physical page-turn buttons, to be announced in September. I'd have to think that Kindle physical-keyboards aren't likely to be part of that. If your dislike of touch interface extends to screen-based keyboards too then you may want to start looking for good used KK deals. Amazon seller's used KK 3G prices seem pretty high at the moment.

From a similar standpoint I got a used Kindle Touch 3G not too long ago-- to tide me over until something better came along. I like the KT, it's lighter and smaller than the KK & I haven't noticed as many "finger smudge" issues on that screen as with the Kindle app on my iPad (which I see you have too). And while physical page-turn buttons clearly would have been nice on the KT, there are certain operations where having a touch interface really excels.
WaltC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
dominicvn
dominicvn shares his or her toysdominicvn shares his or her toysdominicvn shares his or her toysdominicvn shares his or her toysdominicvn shares his or her toysdominicvn shares his or her toysdominicvn shares his or her toysdominicvn shares his or her toysdominicvn shares his or her toysdominicvn shares his or her toysdominicvn shares his or her toys

Device: kindle 3rd generation
I would suggest buying a Nexus 7 which allows you to read Kindle books (mobi), Nook Books (epub) as well as playing movies, music ..playing games, read newspaper, PDF, magazines ...etc...
I have a Kindle 3, a Nook Simple touch but my Nexus 7 does everything
dominicvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltC View Post
There are rumors of a new paperwhite, possibly with physical page-turn buttons, to be announced in September.
Links? I love a good rumor.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2013, 04:58 AM   #6
Ian.M
Connoisseur
Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kindle 3 GB 3G
If - as your user name may imply - you are in the UK, the second hand electronics chain CeX may well be able to help. Here's the link to check stock availability for Kindle Keyboard 3G. They are currently selling for £50.
Ian.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I was all fired up to "CEX bash".
but that's not actually a bad deal.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
The Paperwhite is actually a pretty good Kindle. I wondered if it would be easy to use without buttons but then I won one in the Winter contest and found out it was actually pretty good.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I gave up ever seeing my K3 again. So today I purchased a used Kindle Keyboard from an Amazon reseller. For me, the best Kindle would be the basic Kindle with 3G + WiFi. I like having the physical keys to press to turn pages. I'm not excited about the Paperwhite because of the touch screen, though I may be convinced to give the new PW2 a closer look once a couple of people have it in hand.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:21 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
I'm not excited about the Paperwhite because of the touch screen
Have you actually tried using a touchscreen Kindle, or are you just assuming that you won't like it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
Hampshire Nanny
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you actually tried using a touchscreen Kindle, or are you just assuming that you won't like it?
I have not used a touchscreen Kindle -- just other touchscreen devices.

With the K3, I can hold the Kindle in my left hand & click the button to turn the page without making any other movement. With a touch device like my cell phone, I hold in one hand and then have to lift the other hand to the screen to turn the page. The iPad is too heavy to hold in one hand, so I only read with it lying flat on my lap or the desk. A Kindle with touch screen or the mini tablets (Kindle Fire, iPad mini) *might* be comfortable enough to hold in one hand. But if I'm holding in my left hand, I cannot reach the right side of the screen with the same hand to turn the page.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #12
Waitingforatrain
Groupie
Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Voyage
I hold mine in my left hand and swipe with my left thumb to turn the page - from the middle /left of middle to the left. Or if holding in my right hand, swipe from right to left with my right thumb. Once you get used to the weight /balance of the device it is easy.
Waitingforatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
Hampshire Nanny
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waitingforatrain View Post
I hold mine in my left hand and swipe with my left thumb to turn the page - from the middle /left of middle to the left. Or if holding in my right hand, swipe from right to left with my right thumb. Once you get used to the weight /balance of the device it is easy.
That sounds like it might be worth trying. I'm seriously thinking about ordering a PW2 in November, with the thought that I'd send it back if I don't like it.

But in the meantime, I now have a new-to-me K3. Ordered it from an Amazon Marketplace seller. Couldn't find a green cover, so I bought the blue lighted cover. Love it!