Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-13-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
KindleKid
Zealot
KindleKid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
iPad and E-Ink Reader

I'm wondering does anyone own an iPad or other tablet and an e- ink reader?

Aside from being a mobile devices geek like me, what would you say the benefit of having both is? Lets put aside the the argument over which is better for your eyes. What is practical about having both?

I'm asking because I have an iPad and am considering getting an e-ink reader again. My thoughts are:

1. More comfortable holding an eink device for longer periods.

2. Save battery on iPad for tasks better suited to it's abilities. Browsing, navigation, video, writing etc.

I would like to have both but I'm not sure if it's sensible or just excessive. Would love to hear people's thoughts. Do you have both or one and nmot the other?
KindleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Spending on new gadgets is never excessive... Now if I could only convince my wife!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
timpearson26
Enthusiast
timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timpearson26 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
I have an ipad and am considering getting an eReader specifically for the reason of it being easier on your eyes. (although u said not to mention that point, so sorry )

Also another point. I am trying to get away from watching so much TV and wanting to get into reading books. But me and my wife only have 1 ipad, so if we got an ereader we could read at the same time.

BTW we live abroad so getting english books is difficult. Maybe if we lived in US we would not need 2 devices.
timpearson26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
There are loads of members here with ereaders and tablets. I've read a few books on my iPad, but find the reading experience on an eink screen to be more pleasant.

My Boox has a screen size that is similar to the iPad, and the weight is about the same.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleKid View Post
I'm wondering does anyone own an iPad or other tablet and an e- ink reader?
(...)

I would like to have both but I'm not sure if it's sensible or just excessive. Would love to hear people's thoughts. Do you have both or one and nmot the other?
I have both. They are not interchangeable for me. Ipad is a toy, sofa surfing, online sofa banking, shopping and newspapers but I would read books on it only if nothing else was available. I have a Cybook Opus which is a feisty little basic machine (my little R2D2) and just since July 8th I have a new Kindle. Ereader equals book to me and ipad equals computer. When I go to bed I take Opus and I have exactly the same feeling I used to have when stretching with a book in hand. Relaxation and reading. Ipad will never compete with this with "all that jazz". Is helpful though to type this post, nonetheless. To me having both is sensible and not at all excessive. Excessive was the Kindle (a bit) but now I have epub and mobi world available with no hassle plus 3G and free internet if necessary when I travel back to my country (or so I justify the inner gadget geek )
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Dear KindleKid. Yes.

Sorry, that's not much help, is it? What I mean is, I have an iPad, and for similar thoughts to yours, bought a Kindle. It works for me...the iPad probably gets used the most for its everything, but the Kindle is what I use for reading...it's like curling up with a small paperback, with no distractions and a certain lightness of feel (literal and metaphorical ). But I also know that (especially with the Kindle app), I've the the ability to use the iPad for reading when convenient (and sometimes just to refer to my library).

I was hoping, thought it would be, but was still surprised for my preferences, practices and subjectivity that they are complementary to each other (and the iPhone and desktop computer are the final complement to the four corners for me).

But always remember, it is likely most of us here are a bunch of enablers. Doooooo iiiiiiiiit!!!

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
brdwygurl
Connoisseur
brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Not excessive

I have both and ipad and Kindle. I use the ipad for web, email, music/video and apps. I got a Kindle to read books for 2 reasons - the battery life and weight/portability.

The kindle is much lighter than the ipad. When I go out I don't always want to take my expensive and somewhat heavier ipad with me... but it's nice to be able to read while waiting, so the Kindle fits the bill. This weekend I will be sitting by the pool. I would never take a $600 ipad to the pool, plus there is the sun glare issue.

And the battery life on the ipad is ok, but not as good as the kindle. I found myself feeling "guilty" for reading for a few hours on the ipad...because of the added trouble of recharging. With the kindle I can read and read

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my ipad. It's just not my primary ereader.
brdwygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleKid View Post
a mobile devices geek like me
What is practical about having both?
I would like to have both but I'm not sure if it's sensible or just excessive.
What kind of a device geek are you to be asking such questions?!
iPad is not for reading period (well maybe occasional reading when you can't find your ereader)

Last edited by osnova; 07-15-2011 at 01:35 PM.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
i have a nook color and the eink nook, both compliment each other very nicely. And with the prices coming down on the kinlde's, the nooks, and the kobo's I say why not go get one? All three have apps for your iPad as well.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #10
SWyona
Member Retired
SWyona began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I like the idea of having 2 devices but I am confused over the discussion of contrast and 'easy-on-the-eyes' between e-ink and an LCD screen. Where is the evidence of the long term use of both screens? Personally, though I can use e-ink, I find the text muddled, lacking contrast, and difficult to read. On the other hand I find lcd screens, such as the iPad, clear and bright and have had no problem with 'tired eyes'. Perhaps this is an age issue. I have had many senior citizen readers complain about the contrast of Kindles and Nooks. Is there any research on this? Is age a factor?
SWyona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:54 PM   #11
KindleKid
Zealot
KindleKid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWyona View Post
I like the idea of having 2 devices but I am confused over the discussion of contrast and 'easy-on-the-eyes' between e-ink and an LCD screen. Where is the evidence of the long term use of both screens? Personally, though I can use e-ink, I find the text muddled, lacking contrast, and difficult to read. On the other hand I find lcd screens, such as the iPad, clear and bright and have had no problem with 'tired eyes'. Perhaps this is an age issue. I have had many senior citizen readers complain about the contrast of Kindles and Nooks. Is there any research on this? Is age a factor?
Was trying to avoid this in the discussion. My initial post was about reasons other than the eye strain argument. Here's a helpful article for you though.

Short answer is that there's a difference but one is not worse than the other. Age might be a factor but it's generally what you are personally comfortable with. I'd say that age is too much of generalization. The fact that eye health changes as you age is more appropriate. Young and fit people can have bad eyes too; their own perception would influence their decision on what looks better.
KindleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Reader (PRS-505): novels and random books

iPad 1: technical pdfs and ebooks

works fine for me =D And no... since I spend most of my day in front of a monitor I'm don't whine about eye strain when reading on the ipad... I just dial down the brightness.
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:55 PM   #13
Skip Wyona
Enthusiast
Skip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmosSkip Wyona has become one with the cosmos

Device: none
Age and eyes

Thanks for the response. I did my own research and also found that there was little difference other then the reading habits of the reader and that the eye does indeed change with age. However there is another phenomena that I was not aware of but which I probably have and that is 'contrast sensitivity'. The solution with e-ink readers is to adjust the background and read in bright light.
Skip Wyona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #14
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
I have an iPad, Nook Color, Kindle 3 and Entourage Pocket Edge. I can't read books on iPad.. for me its to big to settle down and read a 500 page book. Also the text is not crisp as I would like it to be. That should clear up when the Retina displays are added on. iPad is good for Magazines, surfing, apps, etc..

Nook Color I have no problem reading on. The size of the Nook Color makes it much easier to handle for Books. Nook Color, good as a multi use device, but a bit small for a tablet in my opinion.

For me it depends on my situation. I'll read Kindle 3 during the day and sometimes I'll take the Nook Color to bed at night. Usually though, I plan to do a little surfing as well as reading and the Nook Color excells at those two functions where the Kindle3 is limited to just reading and the book store.

I do perfer the Eink screen to read on best. I like shopping for books in color since the cover is what usually draws me to a title. Its not quite the same in black and white.

Last edited by Synergi; 07-29-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #15
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Several people I know on other forums that had an eReader and got and iPad, are NOT getting rid of their reader.

The reader is optimized for reading, and therefore is better for that task.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote