Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
or, you can only turn on the wireless when you need it and otherwise keep it turned off.
Yes, with the wireless turned off, the Kindle in "sleep" mode will retain its battery change for months.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #47
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlestar View Post
I do not know if Amazon sell Kindle batteries, but I found that GlobalDirectParts supplies Kindle batteries. such as kindle 3 battery.

That site has a minimum order of 3 batteries, which will just give you 3 dead batteries in about 3 years; they all die based on age not use.

This site is more for the low volume user.

Last edited by chas0039; 06-04-2011 at 07:59 AM.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 03:30 AM   #48
littlestar
Enthusiast
littlestar has learned how to read e-bookslittlestar has learned how to read e-bookslittlestar has learned how to read e-bookslittlestar has learned how to read e-bookslittlestar has learned how to read e-bookslittlestar has learned how to read e-bookslittlestar has learned how to read e-bookslittlestar has learned how to read e-books

Device: kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome Keeper View Post
Im confused. The k3 does not have screws, you meerly pry apart the clips to open it and push it back on when you have finished.
kindle 3 do have two screws on the both upper right part and upper left part of the back cover. And there are also two screws to fasten the battery.
littlestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #49
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlestar View Post
kindle 3 do have two screws on the both upper right part and upper left part of the back cover. And there are also two screws to fasten the battery.
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...w=1366&bih=667

No screws on the back cover. Maybe under the back cover but not on the back cover.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #50
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I always leave the Wireless on for my Kindle WiFi 3 and it's battery has lasted from 23 to 30 days per cycle since I have had this unit for the last 10 cycles.

These kinds of Lithium batteries can be expected to last 500 cycles. I will replace it for a new model long before the 500 cycles have elapsed.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #51
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I hope to replace the battery in my current model many, many times during it's long and colorful life.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #52
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post

These kinds of Lithium batteries can be expected to last 500 cycles. I will replace it for a new model long before the 500 cycles have elapsed.
That period of useful life looks great, but I am doubtful that anyone will ever get to 500 charging cycles ( if I am reading you correctly). That works out to 41 years based on 1 charge per month, and I know that these batteries die based on date of purchase, lasting 2-4 years or so, regardless of the number of charges.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #53
S Livingston
Connoisseur
S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle
How can batteries die based on date of purchase? Who knows how long the battery has been lying about, already in the Kindle, in a warehouse/storeroom/shelf before it is purchased?
S Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #54
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Livingston View Post
How can batteries die based on date of purchase? Who knows how long the battery has been lying about, already in the Kindle, in a warehouse/storeroom/shelf before it is purchased?
Don't confuse "it's unfortunate that it happens" with "it can't happen."
I believe it. Even alkalines have a finite shelf life.
Lithium ion batteries are generally not intended to be warehoused or stocked for a long time, they are intended to be made, shipped to device makers, and installed in devices.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Don't confuse "it's unfortunate that it happens" with "it can't happen."
I believe it. Even alkalines have a finite shelf life.
Lithium ion batteries are generally not intended to be warehoused or stocked for a long time, they are intended to be made, shipped to device makers, and installed in devices.
I think that the point the previous poster was making is that the lifespan of a Lithium Ion battery dates from its manufacture, not its purchase.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #56
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think that the point the previous poster was making is that the lifespan of a Lithium Ion battery dates from its manufacture, not its purchase.
Oh I see.... Yeah, I just assumed chas was correlating date of purchase as always >=date of manufacture, and therefore longer=worse in either case.

Right. Obviously you can purchase a freshly made battery and have it last for years, or purchase a piece of old stock which is already failed when you get it.

Last edited by ApK; 06-06-2011 at 12:48 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #57
chas0039
Sceptic

My mistake guys, not date of purchase, date of manufacture. This is based on well documented web information from some reliable battery experts, and a lot of time reading a forum based exclusively on batteries.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #58
Bonex
Connoisseur
Bonex began at the beginning.

Device: KDXG, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD
And what about its flash memory?
I download every day with calibre a few rss feeds, that I delete once I finish to read them.
Do you know if the Kindle is using some wear leveling algorithm?
Bonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #59
chas0039
Sceptic

Given that you have many thousands of write cycles usually associated with flash memory lifespan, you will most likely have close to 10 years. Most controllers do the wear leveling automatically and lock out bad cells. If I get 10 years out on my Kindle with a few battery replacements, I will be satisfied. Now that they are close to $100, they are becoming disposable like most small electronics these days.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #60
littlestar
Enthusiast
littlestar has learned how to read e-bookslittlestar has learned how to read e-bookslittlestar has learned how to read e-bookslittlestar has learned how to read e-bookslittlestar has learned how to read e-bookslittlestar has learned how to read e-bookslittlestar has learned how to read e-bookslittlestar has learned how to read e-books

Device: kindle dx
I have seen two advertising videos about the kindle on youtube, it is interesting and can show the kindle's preponderances clearly.
littlestar is offline   Reply With Quote