Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Phebe
Connoisseur
Phebe doesn't litterPhebe doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 500 and Kindle 2 and iPad and iPhone
We need book categories in Kindle App!

iBooks for the iPad just came out this week with the capacity to categorize your Apple-purchased ebooks into "collections," like the Sony had from the beginning (PRS-500, and I know, because I bought one the day it came out).

That leaves Kindle app as the single "big three" reader app without a way to categorize one's books and sample books.

I HOPE Kindle will let the categorization include samples, because most of my elibrary is now samples.

Kindle currently allows books to be organized by author, title, or "recent." This is almost totally useless, of course. Don't we all categorize our bookshelves and whole bookcases at home by topic or other category?

Some of my categories on a bookcase level are unread nonfiction, unread fiction, science fiction (four cases), Zen, gardening, and World War I.

Has anyone heard whether the Amazon Kindle app for iPad will soon be updated to allow book categorizing?
Phebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phebe View Post
Has anyone heard whether the Amazon Kindle app for iPad will soon be updated to allow book categorizing?
No. And it's quite possible that no future Kindle updates will happen given Apple's recent policy enforcement change regarding in-app downloads.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #3
Phebe
Connoisseur
Phebe doesn't litterPhebe doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 500 and Kindle 2 and iPad and iPhone
Omigod, you might have a point there.

I've been sort of in denial about all that, hoping it will go away!

Amazon's idea is (according to the Wall Street Journal) --- forget the devices, give them away if you have to!! The real money is in the BOOKS. So they have the best booklist.

But iPad and Sony want to sell the devices: but to do that, they have to have good booklists --- and iPad, at least, doesn't. So Amazon steals their lunch.

I love the Kindle app; I don't want to use the Kindle to read. How could I look up words in a dictionary that pronounces them aloud? How could I follow the novel's adventures on the Maps?
Phebe is offline   Reply With Quote