Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
The Nook works in Germany

Ok, for all German or European members, that are interested in the Nook.

I got mine today and it works perfectly. Actualy he was a positiv suprised for me, since I expected much more problems, for what I have read the past weeks about the Nook.

Connecting it to my home wi-fi network: No problem

Registering it to my B&N account: No problem

Downloading books, I had already in my online library at B&N: No problem

Downloading samples via the Nook from B&N: No problem

Buying books via Nook from Germany: Not possible, you have to buy them online via your pc and a vpn routing

Calibre and Nook: no problem. Calibre recognized the Nook right away and I could send books from Calibre to the Nook

Adobe Digital Edition: no problem. Adobe recognized the Nook and asked me, if I want to add it. I could send epub books with DRM to my Nook and open them.

But one of the biggest suprise for me was the touch screen. Folks, I realy don't understand, why you have problems with this screen. Mine reacts fast, precise and reliable. When I'm reading a book I have absolutly no problems at all to turn the pages with gestures. You hardly have to touch the screen at all. Almost as good as on my iPhone.
I need much more contact on my Sony PRS 700, than on the Nook

So overall, I'm extremly happy with my Nook. Ok, there are some downsides, like bookmarks, hightlight etc, that are known. But I'm absolutly sure, that these will be solved in a short time of periode. Ok and a cover would habe been nice too.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
planetrobbie
Connoisseur
planetrobbie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.planetrobbie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.planetrobbie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.planetrobbie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: forgotten a treo 650 for a DR1000 and now for a nook -size does matter
Welcome in the club

It's exactly the same deal over here in France, I love my nook.
planetrobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos View Post
Ok, for all German or European members, that are interested in the Nook.

I got mine today and it works perfectly. Actualy he was a positiv suprised for me, since I expected much more problems, for what I have read the past weeks about the Nook.

Connecting it to my home wi-fi network: No problem

Registering it to my B&N account: No problem

Downloading books, I had already in my online library at B&N: No problem

Downloading samples via the Nook from B&N: No problem

Buying books via Nook from Germany: Not possible, you have to buy them online via your pc and a vpn routing

Calibre and Nook: no problem. Calibre recognized the Nook right away and I could send books from Calibre to the Nook

Adobe Digital Edition: no problem. Adobe recognized the Nook and asked me, if I want to add it. I could send epub books with DRM to my Nook and open them.

But one of the biggest suprise for me was the touch screen. Folks, I realy don't understand, why you have problems with this screen. Mine reacts fast, precise and reliable. When I'm reading a book I have absolutly no problems at all to turn the pages with gestures. You hardly have to touch the screen at all. Almost as good as on my iPhone.
I need much more contact on my Sony PRS 700, than on the Nook

So overall, I'm extremly happy with my Nook. Ok, there are some downsides, like bookmarks, hightlight etc, that are known. But I'm absolutly sure, that these will be solved in a short time of periode. Ok and a cover would habe been nice too.
From Germany as well...
My Nook will arrive within the next 3 days.
Has yours been registered in the US? Or have you been able to register yours via WiFi?
Is accessing your B&N account the whole process of registration?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

I registerd it via Wifi. I only typed in my B&N account information (email adress and password). But it has to be the same mail and password, as you have the account at B&N.

After that, it connected automaticly to my B&N account and I could surf thru the shop, download samples and download contend that I had already bought online in my account. You cannot buy books direktly from the nook.

If you have more questions, guess it is easier to handle them in the German forum here. At least it is easier for me to explain
Old 02-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I registerd it via Wifi. I only typed in my B&N account information (email adress and password). But it has to be the same mail and password, as you have the account at B&N.

After that, it connected automaticly to my B&N account and I could surf thru the shop, download samples and download contend that I had already bought online in my account. You cannot buy books direktly from the nook.

If you have more questions, guess it is easier to handle them in the German forum here. At least it is easier for me to explain
I could not register mine via WiFi.
I had to adjust my units clock via busybox as explained in this forum. Then it has been working and I've been able to download my B&N books via WiFi as intended.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I ordered a Nook today. I almost didn't because I read so my reviews and post on forums about problems with the Nook. I think the problems were probably mainly with the first production. Also they came out with a firmware update. It seems like those who purchased their Nooks more recently are not experiencing the problems many were earlier on. At least not as many problems. B&N scheduled my Nook to be delivered on Feb. 12 so I'm hoping the delay is because they worked on the bugs.

~eddie

Last edited by JerseyBiker; 02-03-2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: removed some of the quote
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:59 AM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
I ordered a Nook today. I almost didn't because I read so my reviews and post on forums about problems with the Nook. I think the problems were probably mainly with the first production. Also they came out with a firmware update. It seems like those who purchased their Nooks more recently are not experiencing the problems many were earlier on. At least not as many problems. B&N scheduled my Nook to be delivered on Feb. 12 so I'm hoping the delay is because they worked on the bugs.

~eddie
Congratulations! Have fun! (I'm sure you will).
Old 02-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
glin
Groupie
glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20 / OnePlus 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetrobbie View Post
Welcome in the club

It's exactly the same deal over here in France, I love my nook.
Please can you tell how you got your Nook from France ? I am really interested. Some times ago I mailed B&N to ask whether they planned to get the Nook available abroad, the answer was completely negative...
glin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
mos
Addict

You have to create an account e.g. at borderlinx and add this adress as your shipping adresse.
When you order the Nook you have to use a VPN connetction e.g. HotSpotShield, that routes you over a US ip adresse. That way you can order the Nook. B&N will ship it to your borderlinx adress and they will ship it to you.

It's a little complicated, but at the moment the only way it works. But keep in mind. You will probably not have the warranty on the Nook. Better said, you will have the 1.year warranty, but I wouldn'T make any sense sending the Nook back and forth.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
Päde
Päde began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
When you order the Nook over an US IP address with VPN. Are you able to download ebooks directly from Nook?
I just ordered yesterday, do you mean it is worth to cancel the order to order it again over VPN with a US address?
Päde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #11
mos
Addict

You cannot download books directly on the Nook. You first have to buy them via ypur PC/Mac and VPN. Once they are in your library at B&N you can download them on your Nook.

You can download the reading samples directly and you can add books to your ewishlist directly. You cannot download the free books direktly on your Nook.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:13 AM   #12
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
If you route your WiFi access through any US-VPN, you can of course buy books directly with your nook.

Advanced Routers allow direct VPN-Connections, but consumer Router can't do this. When using Windows 7, an alternative way is using "Virtual WiFi".

Bye, Dominik
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
JGL51
JGL51 began at the beginning.

registering the Nook from abroad

I did get my Nook from the USA and was unable to register it from overseas via WiFi. Either it does not connect (onyl a few seconds and then no more) or I get an error message "try later".
- I did use username and password frommy BN account.
- Customer service is a waste of time
- I have version 1.1.1 software
- I tried from different hotels, restaurants WiFi in Spain and France.

For those of you who were successful can you describe how you did it?

(I understand technical terms but am not an expert....)

Also, in teh BN account you crreated is the address int he USA and the credit card issued in the US (billing address in USA)?

Thanks.
JGL51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
No1451
No1451 began at the beginning.

If you don't mind my asking, what was the size of the package and total costs? I'm looking to get one of these in Canada and am hoping I can get it at a price I can stomach
No1451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:01 PM   #15
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGL51 View Post
I did get my Nook from the USA and was unable to register it from overseas via WiFi. Either it does not connect (onyl a few seconds and then no more) or I get an error message "try later".
- I did use username and password frommy BN account.
- Customer service is a waste of time
- I have version 1.1.1 software
- I tried from different hotels, restaurants WiFi in Spain and France.

For those of you who were successful can you describe how you did it?

(I understand technical terms but am not an expert....)

Also, in teh BN account you crreated is the address int he USA and the credit card issued in the US (billing address in USA)?

Thanks.
Just an idea: In hotels usually it's secured WiFi. Not all of that works on nook (without a bit of hacking). Try to find an "open" WiFi instead.

Concerning the account: US address, but any valid credit card (mine is frim Geemany). US IP when purchasing = VPN.