Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Audible now a native iPad app!

FINALLY!!!!

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/20/40...ative-ipad-app

Quote:
Audible, one of the web's leading audiobook retailers, today updated its iOS app with full support for Apple's iPad. Until now, the Amazon-owned company's app had been optimized only for iPhone and iPod touch, forcing iPad users to either view it at a reduced size or enlarge the app using iPad's scaling feature, neither of which are exactly optimal solutions. Audible now utilizes the extra screen real estate offered by Apple's tablet with a sleek new graphic-heavy design that puts audiobook cover art front and center.

Functionality has also received some attention; Audible says navigating the app is now easier on both iPad and smaller iOS hardware. You can now sign in with an Amazon account, and best of all, Audible is now letting users download up to three hours of audio content over cellular connections. Needless to say, it should be much easier to pull down an audiobook or two on-the-fly during trips. Audible 2.0 is available now as a free download in the App Store for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
It looks strange now.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I really wish they wouldn't have removed the volume slider and the forward/back controls.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thoroughly hate the "clouded" look for the covers of audiobooks not downloaded; and I still hate not having folder organization.

I hate clutter
Old 02-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
and I still hate not having folder organization.

I hate clutter
What I'd like to see is a way to categorize your library on their website (don't like their new website much btw) and then when you access through the apps have the same organization follow through. I'm up to 552 titles and browsing for what to listen to can take forever sometimes.
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Hate the clouded look too, but it's still good for a 1.0. I think so many people just download their audiobooks as they go that they don't feel organization is important. I do mine in iTunes anyway.

Last edited by Jessica Lares; 02-20-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I'm glad that they are finally supporting iPad, but I do wish they would improve organization. On my car iTouch, I use a playlist with the books arrange in order that I want to listen to them. When one book ends, it moves on to the next book without me having to pull over and select a book.

Unfortunately, support for playlists went away on the iPhone and iPad, or if it's still there I can't make it work. It syncs up the books, and a play list is there, but the play list is empty when I pull it up on my iPhone.

Well, at least it's a big improvement over what they had before.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Still does not sync properly. Settings are not as accessible. The 'More Books' screen is as silly as ever. It has already crashed once. I miss vol control and jump to start/next chapter buttons. Still have to download in parts (an option on Android). Stats show fewer days and months. Some day I hope to see the chapter titles, and, why not, xray? Whine, whine.

I am hard pressed to say there have been any improvements. There is 'button free' mode but what good is that when the screen locks in 30 seconds or whatever?

Which is to say I will get used to it and it remains the most used app on my ipod.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I like the big play/pause button and the big 30 sec. back button. Those are the buttons I use most often. I don't care for the big bookmark button, though; I never bookmark audiobooks, since they start playing where I stopped reading. Perhaps some people use them though.

I don't really care for the "information" button in the upper right - I don't think I'll use it that often, so why give it such a prime spot. I'd rather the "chapters" button be there; that's where I expect it.

I like the additional options for narration speed. I wish they hadn't bothered with "button free" (I thought this about the last version, too). Who uses that? My phone is usually in my pocket or someplace where the screen is inaccessible; plus the screen is usually locked. I mean, I can understand someone who doesn't really use the app thinking that this would be handy because you can control the device with your hand in your pocket...but in actual use, it's not handy, for several reasons. The most important of which being that you have to take your device out of your pocket and look at to to make sure you're on the swipe screen - and if you've done that, you might as well just use the buttons. (Enough of this topic; it was just as bad on the previous version).

I don't really care for the new "chapters" design (not that the old one was so great): while the (unimportant) chapter numbers are larger, the time in the chapter is the same size or smaller (I can't tell; maybe it looks smaller). Plus, why don't they tell you on that screen how much you've read of that chapter and how much time is left?

I'm happy enough with the chapter forward/back buttons being removed; I rarely used those, and the times I did use them it was because I inadvertently hit it sending me to the next or previous chapter and had to find my way back. Listening to a book is not like listening to an album; I don' think too many people skip ahead to the next chapter like you when when skipping a song on an album.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The chapter forward/back buttons were of most use for:
1) repositioning to the start of the chapter to recap something one missed out on, or just to set up for next listening session. Now you have to use the scrubber or chapter list to do this.
2) skipping to the next 'article' with NYT or WSJ daily digest (but I typically use double click on my headset play/pause button for that).

The bigger buttons are okay, but they tend to cover up the 'cover' art, including the title. It's weird that it doesn't display the title of the book anywhere, and the 'info' page doesn't necessarily help with that: the font is too big and the title is usually 'compressed' ('The Picture of Do...ray (Unabridged)').

I agree about chapter list, it should report where you are in the current chapter, if not give you a way to navigate within it.

Not sure what you mean by additional reading speed options. Is 2.5x new? 2x is about as much as I can handle for most narrators. I'd be more interested in 1.25x (Android has this) or 1.75x.

Bookmarks are somewhat more useful with 'whispersync for voice' titles. You can create bookmarks or annotations in the ebook and these serve as navigation points in the audiobook. For some reason highlights don't sync: it would be neat if that text were copied over to the audiobook. With annotations, you could type in chapter titles (with a bit of work) so you have those available in the audiobook. But of course not all titles are W4V.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Wonder if Whispersync will work in the update with my older iTouch. All my Android based devices sync with no problem, but the iTouch does not. I need to update and check it out.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible updated their website today.

Quote:
Guided by your feedback, we are working to improve the member experience on Audible.

Today we're introducing new navigation. Our goals included improved display of key account info and easier access to the pages members visit most. We'll walk you through the changes below.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Tell us what you think about these changes and those you'd like to see in the future.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Pity they're not soliciting feedback for the app changes.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

I often mess around in other apps while an audiobook is playing. I'm finding that if I go from another app back to the new Audible app while listening to a book the app sometimes pauses and sets the audio back a minute or two.

Really disliking this app right now. Wish I still had the old one.