Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
rgodby
rgodby began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle3 3G
Help needed converting PDF of "James Potter and the Hall of Elders' Crossing"

JPHEC is a bit of fan fiction that follows the life of Harry Potter's son, James Potter.

I'm new to the forum and have just purchased a PRS-600. This title is only available in PDF. Can someone give me the steps to converting it for my eReader, or better yet, volunteer to convert it. I'm sure a lot of folks on this forum would like a copy. Since it's "fan fiction", it's freeware.

BTW, I believe there is a second volume available too.

Here's a link to the PDF.

Thanks,

rg
rgodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Working on it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
Landrovan
Enthusiast
Landrovan began at the beginning.

Device: dr800sg
The prs-600 can read PDF, you could always try to send the PDF directly to the reader. I have a prs-505 and it work without problem.
Landrovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
wygit
Enthusiast
wygit doesn't litterwygit doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I just renamed the PDF to "G Norman Lippert - James Potter and the Hall of Elders’ Crossing.pdf" and dragged it into Calibre, then clicked "Convert"

Worked fine.

I dropped the period after the "G" because my regex for splitting filename [volume] title doesn't like periods and I'm too lazy to fix the regex.
wygit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgodby View Post
JPHEC is a bit of fan fiction that follows the life of Harry Potter's son, James Potter.

I'm new to the forum and have just purchased a PRS-600. This title is only available in PDF. Can someone give me the steps to converting it for my eReader, or better yet, volunteer to convert it. I'm sure a lot of folks on this forum would like a copy. Since it's "fan fiction", it's freeware.

BTW, I believe there is a second volume available too.

Here's a link to the PDF.
Tried a Calibre convert to ePub and it was OK, but the TOC was busted and the footer page numbers were in the document among other problems.

Tried a Mobi Creator to Calibre to ePub and again OK, but not great.

The best I could do quickly was to take the ePub made from the Mobi and mess with it in Sigil. It's still far from perfect, but it's the best I'm going to do right now. You can try cleaning it up from here if you want. It might be OK for you, it appears readable, but I'm picky. I have no desire to read it so I wasn't going to spend much time with it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
rgodby
rgodby began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle3 3G
Thanks Oak for a quick version. I had already tried Landrovan and wygit's suggestions (thanks to you both, also). I'm slogging through Calibre, BookDesigner, Sigil, etc. but the learning curve is a bit steep and I'm trying not to waste time by using the wrong tool.

BTW, I have Acrobat 8.1 and I'm wondering if there are some tips on exporting as HTML with expectation of editing in BookDesigner. I'm not usually happy with any of the PDF image conversion techniques.

RG
rgodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:32 AM   #7
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgodby View Post
Thanks Oak for a quick version. I had already tried Landrovan and wygit's suggestions (thanks to you both, also). I'm slogging through Calibre, BookDesigner, Sigil, etc. but the learning curve is a bit steep and I'm trying not to waste time by using the wrong tool.

BTW, I have Acrobat 8.1 and I'm wondering if there are some tips on exporting as HTML with expectation of editing in BookDesigner. I'm not usually happy with any of the PDF image conversion techniques.

RG
Sorry I have not looked at the original file, but thought that I should mention that headers and footers can also be easily removed in the PDF prior to importing into calibre. If you open the document in Acrobat, choose the "document" menu and select "crop pages". Then using the dialog box, shrink the page borders to cut off the header and footer. You can even choose other options like which pages to do this on and even/odd pages, etc. Click "OK". Now choose "document" menu again and select "Examine Document". In this dialog box, make sure "hidden text" is checked and click "OK" (if the metadata is also checked, you might want to uncheck it). Now save your file and import it into calibre for conversion.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote