Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
What would be the "ideal" gadget?

There are lots of threads scattered about that address the "lack" of one feature or another in our readers, so I thought I'd start a conversation on what we would have in an "ideal" gadget. This is something that will probably not be available for a long time, but it's nice to dream...

I would like to see:
-6 or 7 inch eink screen
-High resolution
-Ability to shift between color and bw
-Really high level memory. I won't give a number, because today's ridiculously high "wants" are generally tomorrow's ridiculously inadequate realities.
-Software that allows for tag sorting
-Wireless connectivity worldwide
-Blue Tooth

That's what I come up with just off the cuff, I'll probably add as the discussion goes on.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Hmmmm....I am not a gadget man.
So my requirements would not be too high, I think

8" eInk screen.
Battery life at least on par with PRS-505, or better.
Dictionary support.
Search function.

Bugless software.
Option to read self-created books (like I do now on prs-505, I create LRFs up to my standards).

Maybe...just maybe, not sure if it is really needed - a user-replaceable battery.

Cannot think of anything else right now, if I have forgotten something, I will add it later.

[EDIT]Addendum
Very important:
Page numbering is essencial (like in Words, PDF). No progress bars.

Last edited by astra; 04-03-2009 at 09:09 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sheesh! Forgot battery! Yes, definitley a user-replaceable battery. I have never had any luck with batteries lasting all that long in a device.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
My old EBW1150 had an icon on the bottom of the screen that took me straight back to my onboard library instantly. I wish my Sony 505 had that, instead of have to push menu again and again, just to see if I already have this or that book loaded up.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Sheesh! Forgot battery! Yes, definitley a user-replaceable battery. I have never had any luck with batteries lasting all that long in a device.
Frankly speaking I thought I would never need the feature but I have started to notice that my sony has lost about 30-40% of its battery life after 1 year and 3 months of constant use. What if I don't buy their next gen reader again? Eventually I might have to face battery replacing problem.

Last edited by astra; 04-03-2009 at 09:10 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'd still want my reader to be a multi-purpose device (like my PDA), which means it would need your list above, plus:
A size-variable touchscreen... use it at the size you need.
An excellent browser.
Sound/video capability.
Multiple file-sorting options.
Accepts third-party apps.
Upgradeable.
Scrapbook option: Ability to "clip" parts of e-material, text, video or images, and save it in organizable folders at will.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I'd still want my reader to be a multi-purpose device (like my PDA), which means it would need your list above, plus:
A size-variable touchscreen... use it at the size you need.
An excellent browser.
Sound/video capability.
Multiple file-sorting options.
Accepts third-party apps.
Upgradeable.
Scrapbook option: Ability to "clip" parts of e-material, text, video or images, and save it in organizable folders at will.
Huh? Some sort of roll-up like the Readius vaporware?
Old 04-03-2009, 09:48 AM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Kinda like this. (Scientific American vaporware.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	saflexscreen250.gif
Views:	210
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	27037  

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 04-03-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #9
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Firmware that fully supports a wide variety of formats, and a SDXC (the new gen of SD card size, capable of addressing 2 TB per card) slot.

The biggest problem today is half-baked firmware....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Hmmm, the perfect reading device... I remember a thread like that before, but it was a bit snowed under there...

Anyway, 6" I think should be enough. I now read on a 3.4", so I can't even really imagine the screen real-esate I'd have with a 6" (yes, I did see a 6" screen, but not for a longer period of time).

The device itself should't be be larger than 7". Which means not a lot of bezel around it, not beside nor above or below. If the bezel has to be larger, I'd rather have it below. You wouldn't believe the troubles I went to to find my current monitor (which is 6 years old, more or less), because they all had this huge casing around the viewing area...

The device should have a SD or Mini SD slot. I want to be able to update my device without having to connect it to the PC.

The device should also have touch-screen. I like to annotate my books, or even mark certain areas. While this should be possible (and probably is possible) with some sort of cursor which you can guide by using some sort of joystick thingie, I just want the easy way, and that happens to be touch-screen. That touch-screen should be usable with my fingers if I wanted to. I shouldn't require a specific pen.

The reader software should be able to handle directories. Currently, Mobipocket can't. Yes, it will read any books in any directory, but it won't show it in directories and that can become rather annoying if you have a lot of books.

The reader software should be able to handle fonts. And multiple font-sizes.

There should be a possibility to add a dictionary. And any dictionary at that, not just the one that came with the device.

Nice to haves are colour screens, but only if it doesn't remove anything from the readability of the screen. WIFI would be nice to have, I sometimes am lazy and download books onto the device (using my own WIFI network) (like I was thinking about Heidi the other day, while in bed, so I browsed to this forum, downloaded the book and started reading...) Preferable an OS that people are able to create software for.

-----

Actually, what I want is a large PDA, with an e-ink screen, running a Windows Mobile or Windows CE OS, with a long battery life, touch-screen and WIFI... I have it all now, except the long battery life and the 6" e-ink screen...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:24 AM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I should think the "perfect" device would depend on your needs. No one device fits everyones need.

I just want to read books, and be able to tuck it into my purse, etc.

A college student, on the other hand, would find an e-book reader practically useless without the ability to read charts, tables, diagrams, etc. They would also prefer a larger size.

Some may want all the bells and whistles, some, like me, just want to download books.

Eventually, I think there will be models to address these needs, at an affordable price, but I hope all will come with replaceable batteries and an SD card slot.

How arrogant of a company to feel they know how much space on an e-book reader an entire consumer community needs.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #12
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Oh that's quite simple for me:

Wi-Fi
Flexible
Touch screen
Fast
Lots of memory and processor power
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:19 PM   #13
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I'd like wifi, maybe a slightly larger screen, support for all formats and the SDXC cards. Maybe faster.

But not at the expense of battery life - I'd want to be able to leave wifi on, f'r example, and it not drain my battery in half the time it would take if it wasn't on.

But most of all, I'd like the software that comes with it to be Mac-compatible - even though I'd probably still end up using things like Calibre!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I assume that when you say "perfect gadget" you aren't talking about "perfect book reader"? It sounds like you mean some multi-funtion thing.

If that's the case, I don't think there is one. Form really does follow function. While I might want a 10inch color screen, really thin and light with months of battery time to read magazines and technical books... I certainly wouldn't want such a size format to use a PDA or cell phone. Although I can see that type of device being a nice sit on the couch and browse the web type machine... but then I would need/want a keyboard, or AWESOME speech control and entry.

I just don't think there is a perfect single gadget.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:10 PM   #15
pshrynk

Well, readr, yeah. But other multifunction stuff, such as the Jordaphone, would be possible.