Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-08-2013, 05:57 AM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
No, the resolution is better than the 2012 Fire but the 2013 Fire has better resolution. But it hardly matters....you are stuck with the Fire UI. I would rather have the slightly less resolution of the Nook HD than the Fire UI. No wall paper = no sale.
I use ADW on my Fire HD 7 (2012) and it still has one wallpaper left - midnight black
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #17
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3 3g, Nook HD+, Nexus 4 (Mantano)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashWest View Post
I loved my Nook HD+ at first because the screen was beautiful. Then I added ADW launcher and it did almost everything I wanted it too and I loved it more. This weekend I finally got over my fears and installed CM10 on it (following the helpful instructions here). It's amazing! CyanogenMod overcomes all the limitations of the Nook interface and leaves you with a fast, gorgeous tablet.
I just got mine last night and put cyangogenmod 10.1 on it immediately. I wish I could install it to the internal storage rather than the sd card though. Depending how fast it runs I may just install an alternate launcher like you did, and use Nook's system. It does have Google Play access, after all.
cortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #18
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cortman View Post
I just got mine last night and put cyangogenmod 10.1 on it immediately. I wish I could install it to the internal storage rather than the sd card though. Depending how fast it runs I may just install an alternate launcher like you did, and use Nook's system. It does have Google Play access, after all.
I believe there is a way you can flash CM to the internal memory.

But unless you prefer to completely erase the Nook skin, you can simply flash the Nook to allow apps from external sources. There is discussion about it in this thread. I've done this on all of our Nook HD and HD+ tablets. I now run the Amazon App store on them. I like using the ADW launcher on mine. My girls seem to prefer the Nook interface on theirs. The wallpaper will show up on both, so it doesn't matter much. You can adjust the Nook interface to only show what you want, like theirs, I only show apps in that top carousel type display.

Oddly, some of their games will work on the HD but not on the HD+, and vice versa.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #19
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I use ADW on my Fire HD 7 (2012) and it still has one wallpaper left - midnight black
That's why I rooted my Fire HD. Now I have a nice science fiction planet scape.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
That's why I rooted my Fire HD. Now I have a nice science fiction planet scape.
Mine is sci-fi too ...black hole
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #21
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I believe there is a way you can flash CM to the internal memory.

But unless you prefer to completely erase the Nook skin, you can simply flash the Nook to allow apps from external sources. There is discussion about it in this thread. I've done this on all of our Nook HD and HD+ tablets. I now run the Amazon App store on them. I like using the ADW launcher on mine. My girls seem to prefer the Nook interface on theirs. The wallpaper will show up on both, so it doesn't matter much. You can adjust the Nook interface to only show what you want, like theirs, I only show apps in that top carousel type display.

Oddly, some of their games will work on the HD but not on the HD+, and vice versa.
And sure enough there was a way. I did install CM 10.1 to the Nook's internal memory, and it runs a good bit faster than from the sdcard. Very pleased. I'm liking the tablet a lot. Even live wallpapers run pretty nicely, although I do't plan on using them.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #22
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Nice! I was never happy how the Nook Color ran n2a off the SD card. I have read that they run much better when you flash them to internal memory. I don't know if I'll do that, as the way my HD7 runs now seems just fine.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:18 AM   #23
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STwG, Nook HD+, Kindle Voyage.
Wahooo!!! I have just bought a Nook HD+ too, I just got the email to say it has been shipped.
I wont receive it for about 2-3 weeks as its got to go to the freight-forwarding company first and then be shipped over to me here in New Zealand, but I'm so excited to be getting it.
I have been reading all the posts here about it and you all make it sound like a fabulous tablet. Hopefully I will be able to use all the great information in these threads so I dont have to ask too many questions myself.
Chapter One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:43 AM   #24
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

That's great! Let us know when you get it, and of course, ask all the questions you want, the Nook forum is not exactly overwhelmed with posts these days.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #25
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Woohoo! Congratulations to a great buy! I'm sure you'll love it!
Apart from asking here (do it as much as you need!) there is a also a lot of info in BN book Club forum http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/.../NOOKHDSUPPORT
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #26
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I've been rooting and reflashing my gadgets since my last feature phone back in the 'aughts, but I'm running my HD+ on plain, unrooted, in no ways hacked stock. Every form of CM10 I tried was plagued by sudden reboots, sometimes leading to boot-loops that would run down the battery. Additionally, post-Jellybean builds of CyanogenMod have a ridiculously convoluted file structure, especially for the SD card. The CM team is trying to adhere to Android standards, but Google is doing everything in their power to not only leave SD cards out of their Nexus line, but also make them unusable with any Google software. When several updates were incompatible with the Kindle app (where my current book was living), that was the last straw.

I also prefer the stock magazine reader to any Android magazine app I've used, and subscribe to Discover through B&N. The only thing I miss from CM10 is the multitasking/recent interface, which is not only an eyesore in stock but also only lists apps and content accessed through the stock launcher (like most people in this thread, I use ADW). I also prefer CM10's button layout and notifications, but even those are a bit off unless you flash a separate zip to enable the tablet UI. Unless they've fixed it, CM10 only supports a phone layout natively.

So, B&N stock is not only good enough, but better than CM10 in several respects. The main thing is that when I pick up my stock HD+, I can instantly start doing what I want to do, rather than wait for a reboot or find a dead battery.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #27
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I've been rooting and reflashing my gadgets since my last feature phone back in the 'aughts, but I'm running my HD+ on plain, unrooted, in no ways hacked stock. Every form of CM10 I tried was plagued by sudden reboots ...
I've been running iamafanof's CM10.2 build dated 09/26 http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2013/...-hd-18sep2013/ since it came out, and I have yet to encounter a spontaneous reboot. I did run into reboot issue with recent builds of verygreen's and (to a lesser degree) bokbokan's CM10.2 versions.

Last edited by livramax; 10-10-2013 at 09:00 AM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #28
cortman
Zealot

@taosaur- that's interesting and a pity. I'm *really* pleased with CM 10.2 on my Nook HD+. I did have a few issues with 10.1 not wanting to boot back up after a shutdown, but so far 10.2 has been quite fast and stable.
The B&N ROM wasn't so bad, but I'm not a B&N digital customer and don't plan to be, so there was nothing for me there.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #29
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I've had CM10.1 installed on my HD+ for over a month now and have had no problems whatsoever. A long time ago I tried it on an SD card and had problems. But, it's come a long way since then. They've worked out all the bugs in it.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #30
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I've got the mod on my Nook HD+ but not on my Nook HD and I'm happy with both of them. I do a lot more reading on the HD and more playing on the HD+. I love the ease of internet access with both. I use the Amazon MP3 app to play music at night, and I love to listen to the various music stations via TuneIn without having to connect to an external speaker.

I'm very glad that I got both of them
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote