Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
tsolignani
Zealot
tsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: iPad
change book file name from capital letters to proper case

I added some epub to Calibre whose titles were written into capital letters such as MY OWN BOOK.

Then I went into metadata edit and converted them to lower case.

But then I noticed the file name into the directory structure of the library is still writter in capitals.

I know I better do not edit files and directories into the library, so I wonder how could I convert those file names to title case?

Thank you.

–
cordialmente,

[Promotion deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-07-2014 at 11:05 AM.
tsolignani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
add a 2 at the end of the title and the end of the author, then remove the 2.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I assume that you are running on Windows?

The behaviour you are seeing is an idiosyncrasy of Windows where it ignores requests from a program to rename a file where the only change is to the case. That is why you need to use the workaround that Kovid mentioned of renaming to another name and then back again.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
tsolignani
Zealot
tsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
add a 2 at the end of the title and the end of the author, then remove the 2.
Nice to read from you Kovid. Calibre is great sofware, really.

Well, it works.

Some workaround ;-)

Thank you.

–
cordialmente,

Old 03-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
tsolignani
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I assume that you are running on Windows?

The behaviour you are seeing is an idiosyncrasy of Windows where it ignores requests from a program to rename a file where the only change is to the case. That is why you need to use the workaround that Kovid mentioned of renaming to another name and then back again.
Nope, I am on Mountain Lion. Still, even after manually renaming the title to lower case the file name did not get changed. It did only after the workaround Kovid told me, now I do not know why.

Thanks again.

–
cordialmente,

Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolignani View Post
Nope, I am on Mountain Lion. Still, even after manually renaming the title to lower case the file name did not get changed. It did only after the workaround Kovid told me, now I do not know why.
Interesting - I thought Mountain Lion defaulted to treating case as significant in filenames. I guess I could be wrong, and it might even vary depending on the filing system format (e.g. AFP v NTFS v FAT)
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
tsolignani
Zealot

It should, you should be right, but I cannot say more than that. If you would like me to make some tries, I am willing to. Thank you.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
It should, you should be right, but I cannot say more than that. If you would like me to make some tries, I am willing to. Thank you.
Can you check on what type of filesystem the drive with the Library folder is?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
HFS+ the default filesystem in OSX is not case sensitive. You can make it case sensitive if you want, but by default it is not.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
tsolignani
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Can you check on what type of filesystem the drive with the Library folder is?
It reads Mac OS Extended, I guess it's HFS+, the default one.

–
cordialmente,

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-07-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #11
tsolignani
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
HFS+ the default filesystem in OSX is not case sensitive. You can make it case sensitive if you want, but by default it is not.
Still, I do not get what the filesystem has to do with the matter. If calibre tells to rename the file, it should be renamed according to calibre instruction and with the exact string that calibre tells it to use, regardless of the case sensitive nature or not of the file system. Or else?

Anyway, just out of curiosity, for I solved my issue with the practical workaround.

Thank again.

–
cordialmente,

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-07-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Still, I do not get what the filesystem has to do with the matter. If calibre tells to rename the file, it should be renamed according to calibre instruction and with the exact string that calibre tells it to use, regardless of the case sensitive nature or not of the file system. Or else?

Anyway, just out of curiosity, for I solved my issue with the practical workaround.

Thank again.

–
cordialmente,

tiziano solignani, da  Mac
http://blog.solignani.it
When a filename is CasE iNsEnSitiVe
There is NO change (detected) when just the case changes. The Add/Remove a Letter (save) Remove/Add that letter trick forces the name to be different , so the FS writes it out.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:16 AM   #13
tsolignani
Zealot

Got it, Thank you. So it's not an issue one could solve on calibre's side, unless coding the workaround (adding some new char and then removing). Thanjs again.

Tags
capital letter, files, lower case, names