Notices

Old 02-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
LightHouse Lady
Enthusiast
LightHouse Lady began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
Calibre with Ipod touch and Kindle

Hi,
I have been using Calibre with my ipod touch and it is fantastic. Now, I bought a Kindle today and am unsure as to how to use both...or can I?

I can convert my books in Calibre to mobi. Got that but then, I would like to use wireless to put my books on the kindle as I have with my ipod touch.

How do I do that? I do have two computers that I can use if that helps.

Hope this was clear....
LL
LightHouse Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
I believe you have to connect your kindle to your computer in order to transfer books. Here is link to calibre's help file on transferring books for kindle and iPod.
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...reading-device

Last edited by MsAstoria; 02-25-2011 at 11:04 PM.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #3
LightHouse Lady
Enthusiast

Thanks, I read that. Now, I feel like a complete dolt but I can't figure out how to actually get a book from Calibre to my new kindle. True, I have only had the Kindle for a couple of hours, but someone please tell me how this works. I have it down on my ipod touch with Stanza.

Where do I go on the kindle to make this happen? Ok, I right clicked on a book and it went to "main memory" and it arrived on my Kindle! Yay....

Thanks,
LL

Last edited by LightHouse Lady; 02-26-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
LightHouse Lady
Enthusiast

Well, it did once. Now "send to main memory" is grayed out.... help!

I started a new thread since this is a differnt subject.

Last edited by LightHouse Lady; 02-26-2011 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:16 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Do you have your iPod plugged in at the same time? Calibre can only see one potential reader device at a time, and the first one plugged in it sees 'hides' the other one.

You could disable the detection of the iPod by going to Preferences->Advanced->plugins->device Interface Plugins and disabling the Apple device plugin so that the iPod will no longer 'hide' the Kindle if they are both plugged in. This will not prevent books from being transfered by USB to the iPod (assuming you use that feature) as the Calibre Connect to iTunes feature can be used instead (and is the recommended approach for Apple devices).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
LightHouse Lady
Enthusiast

I only had the kindle plugged in. I use Stanza and get my books wirelessly from Calibre but maybe I can't do that anymore.

I really want to be able to use both. If I must use the connect to itunes method, I will though I like Stanza better than ibooks. Hey, but if that is the way to use both, then I will for sure.

Thanks very much.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you only had one device plugged in then check that you have the Kindle 2/3 device driver enabled under Preferences->advanced->Plugins->Device Interface Plugins. However that is only required if you are going to use USB as the way of transfering books from Calibre to your Kindle.

In terms of push wireless transfer to the Kindle, this is normally done by emailing the books (via Amazon) to your Kindle. There should be information about how to do this in the Calibre User Guide. It should also be possible to pull books off the calibre Content server via the browser built into the Kindle - but I guess a response from soneone with a Kindle is required to know if that will work.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
LightHouse Lady
Enthusiast

itimpi, thanks very much. I'm on it. Y'all are really patient and understanding when the same old questions are asked.

I do appreciate it,
LL