Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Power Adapter not included with new Fires

Guess what's missing from the new Fires?

A $19.99 power adapter!

Included with the first gen Fire, Amazon removed it from their latest models. That's one way to keep costs down, while generating some extra profit. Currently, the adapter is available for $9.99 when ordered with a Fire. I have no idea how long this promo will last.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
This household has several iDevice power adapters still sitting in their boxes, never unwrapped. To me, it seems rather a waste (and, as an aside, not particularly environmentally friendly) to compulsorily provide and charge for adapters that the vast majority of buyers don't need. Call it a $10-$20 discount for not ordering an adapter, and call it a day, I reckon.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
This household has several iDevice power adapters still sitting in their boxes, never unwrapped. To me, it seems rather a waste (and, as an aside, not particularly environmentally friendly) to compulsorily provide and charge for adapters that the vast majority of buyers don't need. Call it a $10-$20 discount for not ordering an adapter, and call it a day, I reckon.
That is true, but for first time kindle buyers that are new to usb powered toys. when they open the box and see just the unit and cord may cause a dust up.

Just read the specs on the optional charger and correct me if I am wrong, but they do not recommend using the charger that comes with the non fire kindles. (?)

I ordered the fire hd yesterday thinking I would use my kindle keyboard charger but after reading the o/p and checking the link I canceled my original order and reordered with the charger.

They are assuming that people that order these new units are current kindle owners by the wording in there product descriptions, but for some that will not be the case.

Looks like the fire hd charger is backwards compatible to all (?) kindles but the reverse is not so.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
A $20 charger is nothing. Like everyone else here is saying, I have two shoe boxes full of unused ones. I'll buy one closer to launch, and that'll be fine for me.

First people were angry over not getting USB cords, now they switch it out and people are still mad. Come on, Amazon gives us deals all year long (even $200+ worth of Audiobooks, and discounts) and you can't sacrifice $20?
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
It's not a discount, because Amazon wouldn't price the Fire at $219 when others are pricing their 7" tablets at $199. It's just a way to cut costs.

FYI, Google's Nexus 7 includes the power adapter.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
dhill
Connoisseur
dhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad 2, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD
If you buy it with the Fire HD you get it for $9.99. A $10 credit is added to your total
dhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
From the amazon site

Fully charges in 3 hours via the Kindle PowerFast charging accessory, or slightly longer with other micro-USB power adapters that you may already have. Charges in approximately 11.5 hours from your computer via the included USB charging cable.

why would it take longer from a any other micro-USB charger?
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
From the amazon site

Fully charges in 3 hours via the Kindle PowerFast charging accessory, or slightly longer with other micro-USB power adapters that you may already have. Charges in approximately 11.5 hours from your computer via the included USB charging cable.

Because they're not optimized for tablets.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
I'm not sure if I can add it to my existing pre-order. Doesn't look like it...unless I'm missing something.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
From the amazon site

Fully charges in 3 hours via the charging accessory, or slightly longer with other micro-USB power adapters that you may already have. Charges in approximately 11.5 hours from your computer via the included USB charging cable.

The power fast charger delivers more power for charging.

Power fast: 1.8 amps not sure of the voltage but guess about 5 volts.

The charger that came with my kindle: .85 amps at 4.9 volts.

Going by these figures, the power fast charger delivers about 1 amp more power.

Other adapters may be different, I used the specs from my kindle keyboard 3G.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
I'm not sure if I can add it to my existing pre-order. Doesn't look like it...unless I'm missing something.
I ordered yesterday with out the charger. Read this post and then canceled my first order and reordered with the charger.

Was not a problem.

Edit: It looks like the estimated delivery date did not change. EDD of Sept. 19 - Sept. 21.

Last edited by DustyDisks; 09-08-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #12
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
I ordered yesterday with out the charger. Read this post and then canceled my first order and reordered with the charger.

Was not a problem.
I have a November 26th EDD. I'm not cancelling my preorder. I'd rather cough up the extra ten bucks.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #13
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
I Have a charger which came with the kindle keyboard. would this be the same spec as the recomended one?

Edit

i missed DustyDisks comment above. i guess i will be investing in a new charger if i get a fire.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #14
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
I have a November 26th EDD. I'm not cancelling my preorder. I'd rather cough up the extra ten bucks.
You will not have to pay the full price or cancel your order. Call Amazon C.S. and they will add it to your existing order -- then they apply a $10 credit to that order. You will see the order being modified while talking with them. The adapter will ship next week.

I suggest calling during the day (U.S.) and you will speak to Amazon reps in the U.S. -- they are aware of the confusion for customers.

Last edited by Skydog; 09-08-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #15
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
You will not have to pay the full price. Call Amazon C.S. and they will add it to your existing order -- then they apply a $10 credit to that order. You will see the order being modified while talking with them. The adapter will ship next week.

I suggest calling during the day (U.S.) and you will speak to Amazon reps in the U.S. -- they are aware of the confusion for customers.
Fair enough...I'll do that. Mahalo.