Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 05:07 AM   #1
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Setting font sizes for downloaded news

Sorry to keep adding on new topics here, but I figured I'd be more likely to find answers to my questions if I just ask each separately. Anyway, I found that the default font size on the Sony reader is too small for me. I like to switch it to the large font which makes for a reasonably comfortable experience. Unfortunately, one of the many, many improvements Sony could but has not made to their firmware is the ability to pick font size permanently for everything. For books, this is a minor annoyance since I set it once when I start reading a new book and then I can just forget about it. However, for the newspapers and magazines, which get downloaded regularly, it's really annoying.

I tried setting the default font size in the conversion settings, but that seems to have had no effect on the font size for the newspapers I download. I had already asked this question on the Sony forum and was told to ask here, so I'm asking -- what do I need to do in order to set my choice of font size for downloaded newspapers? Do I have to go into each recipe and specify my own style sheet for it? Any suggestions would be appreciated. And of course, if anyone knows of a way that I can set a default size for fonts on the PRS-600 (I know PRS+ lets you do it on the 505, but it's not available for the 600), please do let me know.

Thanks,

Eric
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:27 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric11210 View Post
Anyway, I found that the default font size on the Sony reader is too small for me. I like to switch it to the large font which makes for a reasonably comfortable experience.

I tried setting the default font size in the conversion settings, but that seems to have had no effect on the font size for the newspapers I download.
The font settings used for your conversions will be applied to the epub when downloaded. I like a larger font size in my books (to avoid reading glasses) and I adjust the settings under Preferences - Conversion - Look & Feel. See attached for settings that work for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_font_settings.png
Views:	284
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	56243  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 05:55 AM   #3
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe it didn't work for me because I didn't add the font size key. I wasn't sure what that was. I'll try again with your settings and see what happens.

Thanks again,

Eric
Old 08-06-2010, 06:27 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric11210 View Post
Maybe it didn't work for me because I didn't add the font size key. I wasn't sure what that was. I'll try again with your settings and see what happens.
You can read more here.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
eric11210
Addict

Just thought you'd like to know I now have it figured out. I wasn't setting the sizes high enough for the size I wanted. It turns out I needed to set it to 20 pt. to get a size I feel comfortable with, even though on my computer monitor 20 pt. looks enormous, on the reader it looks closer to around 12-14 pt. size.

Thanks again for you help.

Eric
Advert