Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Transfer to a new kindle

I have searched and cant find the answer without going thru' hundreds of search hits so......

I have around 400 books many of which were purchased from Amazon. My calibre library has cleaned up the titles, added social metadata, etc etc. Obviously my non Amazon ones will be fine, but when I redownload the books to the new kindle, could you please tell me, will Calibre remember all the data or will I have to start again.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I try to be helpful whenever I can in the kindle forum so could someone help me out please? Even if to say no?
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm not sure what you're asking? If the books are in your calibre library they're in your calibre library and you dont need to redownload them at all, so...
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
Pushka
Wizard

Ok, most the books that are in the calibre library consist of books that were sent to my kindle from Amazon, and can only be read on that kindle. If I get a new kindle, I will need to redownload all those books drm'ed to my new kindle; will I have to redo all the work I did in Calibre to edit metadata for these redownloaded books?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No just use the edit metadata dialog to replace the actual file.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
KindleKrazy
KindleKrazy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No just use the edit metadata dialog to replace the actual file.
I'm sorry but I don't understand how to do that. I know how to get to Edit Metadata but don't see where in that screen to replace the existing field with the new file.
KindleKrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Pushka - Why not just attach your Kindle to your computer and use the "send to device" function from Calibre?
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:48 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleKrazy View Post
I'm sorry but I don't understand how to do that. I know how to get to Edit Metadata but don't see where in that screen to replace the existing field with the new file.
In the edit metadata dialog, there is a box in the upper right showing all the formats for the book. You can add & delete formats there.

My understanding is that you wish to replace the prc (or mobi or whatever) format with a new one so that the DRM works with your new kindle. To do this, open the edit metadata dialog, delete the original format, then add the new one. Assuming that you have downloaded the book using whispernet, the file (format) will be somewhere on the disk drive for your kindle. Alternatively, you can use Amazon's 'transfer via computer' to download to you computer the books with DRM set to your new kindle. You then add the formats from the folder where you put the newly downloaded books

You could also try adding the books directly from the device view as suggested by da_jane. If you do it this way, first check the preference Preferences -> Add/Save -> If books with similar titles ..., so that the new formats are merged into existing books instead of creating new books. This assumes that the titles and authors for the book on the kindle are readable and correct.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #9
KindleKrazy
KindleKrazy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks chaley! I 'll need to use your method to transfer my books from my K1 to my K3 (whenever it arrives). I've done significant editing of titles so da_jane's suggestion may not work.
KindleKrazy is offline   Reply With Quote