Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
New Revised March Firmware Upgrade Ready

Dear All:

The new revised firmware upgrade is dated April 2, 2010 officially. It is up now on: www.theEZreader.com under "support".

It has been up about four hours. Initial reaction is very positive and everybody seems to have zero problems. It was tested by Astak thoroughly and tested by a Beta Tester. It really seems to be helping in many ways. TTS is back, Coolreader 3 is added, the new FB2 is on there, some additional font styles were added, we pray .LIT is finally right, and the battery charge life is back to its old great self. They even changed the date to read:MM/DD/YYYY.

For anybody who is relatively new: easy firmware upgrade instructions are on the FAQ sheet at: www.theEZreader.com/html under "support". It is fairly straight forward and the instructions are very clear.

This firmware upgrade is for the 5 inch Pocket PRO. The 6 inch EZ Reader Basic firmware upgrade should be ready the end of next week.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Thanks. Downloading now.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Accidental hitting of send.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
aegeus
Enthusiast
aegeus began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader 5
I have downloaded and installed it; so far so bad, I hope it's only me.

The new firmware constantly locks and freezes the device; I had to press the reset button at the back of the device a couple of times. Moreover the text files are not operated by CoolReader; they are opened old style, I did not understand this.

I will update my findings later.

Regards.
aegeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegeus View Post
I have downloaded and installed it; so far so bad, I hope it's only me.

The new firmware constantly locks and freezes the device; I had to press the reset button at the back of the device a couple of times. Moreover the text files are not operated by CoolReader; they are opened old style, I did not understand this.

I will update my findings later.

Regards.
I have had to reset, also, a couple of times. This is only the second time since I got the PP in August that I have had to hit the reset button. I noticed it was on large files. I hope it just needs to read them once, then they'll be ok. I was able to get into the same files after I hit the reset.

The new CoolReader does open RTF, but haven't tried TXT. I found the RTF with Coolreader will maintain my formating (yeah!), like centering, TOC headings, etc. So I'm saving my files in RTF.

Good luck.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
The new CoolReader does open RTF, but haven't tried TXT. I found the RTF with Coolreader will maintain my formating (yeah!), like centering, TOC headings, etc. So I'm saving my files in RTF.

Good luck.

AJ
Is there a setting somewhere for the CoolReader to maintain your formatting? I just downloaded it yesterday, and this is my first experience with CoolReader. It looks like it mostly maintains my formatting... except for some reason it always seems to cut off the very first letter of the very first word (which isn't a bit deal, as that is just the title), and all the double spaces between paragraphs are instead single spaced, with an indent of the beginning of the paragraph. This isn't really a big deal, but I was wondering if there was a way to go back to double space between paragraphs. Although... I've just copied text and pasted into Word Pad from web pages, so maybe it's really not formatted like I thought it should be. In Word Pad it shows up as double spacing, but maybe it has more do to with HTML and it's not really saving it that way. But no... I just opened up the file in question and it is double spaced on my computer. So is there a setting somewhere in CoolReader?

Thanks! And hopefully I'm not rambling too much, and what I said makes sense.
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
Is there a setting somewhere for the CoolReader to maintain your formatting? I just downloaded it yesterday, and this is my first experience with CoolReader. It looks like it mostly maintains my formatting... except for some reason it always seems to cut off the very first letter of the very first word (which isn't a bit deal, as that is just the title), and all the double spaces between paragraphs are instead single spaced, with an indent of the beginning of the paragraph. This isn't really a big deal, but I was wondering if there was a way to go back to double space between paragraphs. Although... I've just copied text and pasted into Word Pad from web pages, so maybe it's really not formatted like I thought it should be. In Word Pad it shows up as double spacing, but maybe it has more do to with HTML and it's not really saving it that way. But no... I just opened up the file in question and it is double spaced on my computer. So is there a setting somewhere in CoolReader?

Where the Cool Reader really shines is the ability to customize how it works. There are settings for many of the items you want and the data is stored in a CSS file in crengine folder with one for every format you want to customize. You can even control more things by directly editing the CSS file on your computer.

The current version from Astak and from Hanlin use this automatically for RTF and FB2 files and can be coerced to be used for TXT and HTML files by adding an extra FB2 extension to the file. I am not sure about TCR files but Cool Reader does support those as well so it is likely to work if anybody still owns any of those.

Dale

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The current version from Astak and from Hanlin use this automatically for RTF and FB2 files and can be coerced to be used for TXT and HTML files by adding an extra FB2 extension to the file. I am not sure about TCR files but Cool Reader does support those as well so it is likely to work if anybody still owns any of those.

Dale

Dale
Can it also still be coerced into reading epub files by adding the FB2 extension?
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post

Sorry, I'm not that converscent in CoolReader. However, my files have not lost the first letter of the files, in RTF. I haven't gone into it much since the revised March F/W so I can't say whether it is not keeping the settings or not. If you are using a file that you have cut and pasted from the web, chances are you have Lots of formating in it. And, unless you are using a word processor you can see the codes in, like Word Perfect, you may have codes galore affecting the display.

Good luck.

AJ

PS: I don't know about Word or other word processors, but Word Perfect has the ability to "paste" without formats and codes. After I've gotten whatever info I want, I "cut" the entire document and "paste" without codes, and it clears all codes out of my file. Then I can start fresh to format it the way I want.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Where the Cool Reader really shines is the ability to customize how it works. There are settings for many of the items you want and the data is stored in a CSS file in crengine folder with one for every format you want to customize. You can even control more things by directly editing the CSS file on your computer.
You can get pre-built CoolReader CSS files, for use in the /crengine folder, for EPUB, FB2, HTM, RTF, and TXT from the sourceforge repository. The container file is a .tar.gz format, so Windows users can open it with something like 7ZIP.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cren...ar.gz/download
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #11
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Sorry, I'm not that converscent in CoolReader. However, my files have not lost the first letter of the files, in RTF. I haven't gone into it much since the revised March F/W so I can't say whether it is not keeping the settings or not.
On page 2 of the CoolReader settings menu there is a setting telling CoolReader if you want to honor the books CSS settings or not. I set "preformatted text" to OFF, when I do not want CoolReader using the books formatting. That keeps the paragraph spacing and indents the way I want them instead of what the book may have tried to set them to. Since I build all my own FB2 files, I usually only have to resort to that for EPUB. You can also turn off "embedded styles" if you want to. Of course you can also do all of that in your own format specific CSS in the /crengine folder as well.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #12
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
I dont know is this is a bug or is the way the new FW reacts but when i try to change font on a FB2 file after it changes it return to bookshelf, is this normal? (it saves the position before returning to bookshelf so when i open it again im on the same page).
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
Can it also still be coerced into reading epub files by adding the FB2 extension?
How could I forget to mention this. Yes, it can.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiron View Post
I dont know is this is a bug or is the way the new FW reacts but when i try to change font on a FB2 file after it changes it return to bookshelf, is this normal? (it saves the position before returning to bookshelf so when i open it again im on the same page).
This is likely a feature. Changing fonts can often lead to reformatting of pages due to fonts being different width. The point size only refers to height.

Dale
Old 04-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #15
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiron View Post
I have seen that happen too, but only with some fonts, while others just change and resume the book. Another font related thing of no consequence is that if you delete the font that you selected to read in while you are outside of CoolReader it always goes to the Ariel font by default.