Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #16
vidgej
vidgej began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there actually a good romance book that a real man will enjoy?
I'm a real man, but i enjoyed A Crack in Forever by Jeannie Brewer. Maybe it's because it's the first romance i've read. So I nominate A Crack in Forever by Jeannie Brewer. A heartfelt story.
vidgej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #17
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Also, it does not have to be in ebook format (although it is preferred, obviously).
Surely it does, on this website? If you want a paper-based bookclub, surely there are better venues for it than a site about ebooks?

I will second Naked in Death, even though I have read it already It's a great series.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #18
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I tried reading Naked in Death, but there was too much explicit sex, and the simulated child rape (adult prostitute pretending to be a child) scene made me want to throw up.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #19
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOECHICK View Post
No there isn't.
There isn't? Ups
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #20
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Surely it does, on this website? If you want a paper-based bookclub, surely there are better venues for it than a site about ebooks?

I will second Naked in Death, even though I have read it already It's a great series.
No, it's not in the official rules. I think we've only had one that was won that wasn't in ebook format, but everyone was aware of it. Obviously everyone's going to prefer the ebook format.

I'd also like to nominate Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.
Quote:
Published a year before her death at the age of thirty, Emily Brontë's only novel is set in the wild, bleak Yorkshire Moors. Depicting the relationship of Cathy and Heathcliff, Wuthering Heights creates a world of its own, conceived with an instinct for poetry and for the dark depths of human psychology.
This one is in ebook format
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'll second Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

So all it needs is a third so we can have our first book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #22
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I am trying to participate this year. Hopefully it will make me read some genres I usually avoid

I would like to nominate a Christine Feehan book from the Ghostwalker Series : Shadow Game (the first book in the series).

I like the mix of paranormal, action and romance mixed in some genetic alterations by evil :-)

"The classified experiment is the brainchild of renowned scientist Peter Whitney and his brilliant daughter, Lily. Created to enhance the psychic abilities of an elite squadron, it can transform their natural mental powers into a unique military weapon. But something goes wrong. In the isolated underground labs, the men have been dying-victims of bizarre accidents. Captain Ryland Miller knows he is next. When Dr. Whitney himself is murdered, Ryland has only one person left to trust: the beautiful Lily. Possessed of an uncanny sixth sense herself, Lily shares Ryland's every new fear, every betrayal, every growing suspicion, and every passionate beat of the heart. Together, they will be drawn deeper into the labyrinth of her father's past…and closer to a secret that someone would kill to keep hidden."
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #23
GraNNy
GraNNy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
I tried reading Naked in Death, but there was too much explicit sex, and the simulated child rape (adult prostitute pretending to be a child) scene made me want to throw up.
Romance novels written these days are usually very explicit sexually. The adult prostitute pretending to be a child scene is a greatly minimized sex scene compared to many romance novels.
GraNNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #24
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
I am trying to participate this year. Hopefully it will make me read some genres I usually avoid

I would like to nominate a Christine Feehan book from the Ghostwalker Series : Shadow Game (the first book in the series).

I like the mix of paranormal, action and romance mixed in some genetic alterations by evil :-)

"The classified experiment is the brainchild of renowned scientist Peter Whitney and his brilliant daughter, Lily. Created to enhance the psychic abilities of an elite squadron, it can transform their natural mental powers into a unique military weapon. But something goes wrong. In the isolated underground labs, the men have been dying-victims of bizarre accidents. Captain Ryland Miller knows he is next. When Dr. Whitney himself is murdered, Ryland has only one person left to trust: the beautiful Lily. Possessed of an uncanny sixth sense herself, Lily shares Ryland's every new fear, every betrayal, every growing suspicion, and every passionate beat of the heart. Together, they will be drawn deeper into the labyrinth of her father's past…and closer to a secret that someone would kill to keep hidden."
I'll second this. I've heard really good things about Feehan but haven't read any yet.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:30 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminJames View Post
YES! The time travellers wife.
I haven't read this yet (or seen the film, which looks pants!! lol) but the wikipedia article makes it sound very interesting and I plan to read it so why not for feb's book club.
Is this actually available as an ebook? I though she didn't like ebooks... (although she pimped here story to Hollywood).

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #26
Vector
Senile Delinquent
Vector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enough

Device: several
I'll second Wuthering Heights. This is a shot in the dark, as I have never read anything by any Bronte. However, it's considered a classic and it was written by someone in Yorkshire, where two of my grandparents came from. I'm willing to give it a try.
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:00 PM   #27
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Both Wuthering Heights and The Time Traveler's Wife for me.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:36 PM   #28
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Anne Tyler "The Accidental Tourist"
I second "The Accidental Tourist".
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #29
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'd like to recommend "All Night Long" by Jayne Ann Krentz.
The Sony store's description: "After the violent deaths of her parents seventeen years ago, Irene Stenson left the tiny lakefront town of Dunsley, Oregon. Now she's back, and determined to discover the truth about what happened that night. Armed with a shocking new lead and her experience as an investigative reporter, Irene dives straight into the mystery and finds herself in deep trouble.Luckily, ex-Marine Luke Danner is on hand to pull her out, and his calm, quick-thinking response in the face of danger makes him the perfect ally. And as the intrigue deepens and the secrets turn deadly, Irene will need all the help she can find if she is to lay the past to rest."

Also, "Ravished" by Amanda Quick.
The Sony store's description: "From the cozy confines of a tiny seaside village to the glittering crush of the a fashionable London soiree comes an enthralling tale of a thoroughly mismatched couple . . . poised to discover the rapture of love.

There was no doubt about it. What Miss Harriet Pomeroy needed was a man. Someone powerful and clever who could help her rout the unscrupulous thieves who were using her beloved caves to hide their loot. But when Harriet summoned Gideon Westbrook, Viscount St. Justin, to her aid, she could not know that she was summoning the devil himself. . . .

Dubbed the Beast of Blackthorne Hall for his scarred face and lecherous past, Gideon was strong and fierce and notoriously menacing. Yet Harriet could not find it in her heart to fear him. For in his tawny gaze she sensed a savage pain she longed to soothe . . . and a searing passion she yearned to answer. Now, caught up in the Beast's clutches, Harriet must find a way to win his heart-and evade the deadly trap of a scheming villain who would see them parted for all time."

This is the same author who writes different genres of romance under different names. She is probably my all time favorite author. She also has futuristic romances under the name of Jayne Castle and has recently started adding paranormal (in regards to what the brain can do, ex. intuition is enhanced) to all of her romances. She has a series that is set in Victorian England, modern USA, and futuristic other planet about a secret sociaty dedicated to the understanding of pyschological powers.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:46 PM   #30
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctol View Post
Both Wuthering Heights and The Time Traveler's Wife for me.
Me too, but I hate to nominate a book (TTTW) whose author refuses to allow it to be released as an e-book.

It is a good book, though, and I'd be pleased if it were selected.

As for Wuthering Heights, I've seen more than one film adaptation, but have never read the book. I'd be willing to read Emily Brontë's book if it's the February selection.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote