Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-17-2016, 10:23 AM   #61
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
If I read this correctly that is plagiarism. Also known as stealing another's work and is illegal. Public Domain or not.
No, it's not illegal. So long as the work is in the public domain.

You're entirely free to publish (say) A Tale of Two Cities under your own name, and give no credit to Dickens at all.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:24 AM   #62
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
If I read this correctly that is plagiarism. Also known as stealing another's work and is illegal. Public Domain or not.
You can't "steal" a public domain work, because there's nobody to steal it from. It may be immoral (and an outright lie!) to claim authorship, but it's not illegal. You're not depriving anybody of anything by doing so because nobody owns it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2016, 10:26 AM   #63
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Can I now say WOW just wow.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:33 AM   #64
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Plagiarism is not illegal. Only the copyright infringement element is a legal offense, and that doesn't apply with public domain works. The rest is just lying about who wrote it. Lying about most things isn't illegal. Just ask Xavier Alvarez.
That does not make one any less of a dirt bag, however, and would not prevent one from losing an election, being kicked out of school, fired, run out of town, etc.

Last edited by ApK; 02-17-2016 at 10:37 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:35 AM   #65
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Can I now say WOW just wow.
I wasn't kidding when I said that you can do anything at all - absolutely anything - with a work that's in the public domain.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2016, 12:48 PM   #66
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
How about 506(c)?

Quote:
(c)Fraudulent Copyright Notice.—
Any person who, with fraudulent intent, places on any article a notice of copyright or words of the same purport that such person knows to be false, or who, with fraudulent intent, publicly distributes or imports for public distribution any article bearing such notice or words that such person knows to be false, shall be fined not more than $2,500.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:31 PM   #67
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
How about 506(c)?
Yes, that would apply if you claimed copyright on something in the public domain. But it wouldn't apply if you just didn't mention the copyright status.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:33 PM   #68
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How about 506(c)?
And how about if you print out a story from the library and use the paper to jimmy the door of a book store, and steal the books, then beat someone to death with those books, and then sell them to raise money to buy illegal drugs from terrorists?

Are you for real?
Old 02-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #69
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Yes, that would apply if you claimed copyright on something in the public domain. But it wouldn't apply if you just didn't mention the copyright status.

...and it is orthogonal to the use of the library material, which is obviously what Harry is talking about.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:56 PM   #70
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I wasn't kidding when I said that you can do anything at all - absolutely anything - with a work that's in the public domain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
...and it is orthogonal to the use of the library material, which is obviously what Harry is talking about.
I thought we were beyond simply discussing the first post. My apologies.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:59 PM   #71
ApK

Quote:
I thought we were beyond simply discussing the first post. My apologies.
There's "beyond the first post" and then there is "through the looking glass."

You were dancing on the edge of the rabbit hole, I just felt like pushing you in.

(Yes, mixed Lewis Carroll references. Deal with it!)
Old 02-17-2016, 02:08 PM   #72
klmmc13
formatting student
klmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: several models of Kindle; Several Android tablets & 3 Android phones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
@klmmc13 --- another tidbit to aid you on your quest --- if you can't find specific books that you need in the current MobileRead library listing, you can post requests for PUBLIC DOMAIN or Creative-Commons-licensed works in the Ebooks Uploads forum -> Upload Help subforum -> Ebook Requests thread.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=10290&page=47

Very often a forum member will build a properly formatted and proof-read book for you.

Are you having problems finding titles you need? There are lots of sources out there, such as gutenberg.org, feedbooks.com, manybooks.net, archive.org (but its books are quite minimally OCR'd, and need lots of text corrections), and dozens of sites with "read on-line" as their reason for being.

A good source to hunt for links to specific titles or authors is the Online Books Page, which is solely devoted to links to source files for public domain titles /authors (they seem to concentrate mostly on gutenberg.org, archive.org, and hathitrust.org, and some sites hosted by universities, but it gives an excellent starting point.)
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/
Thank you Granny, I had noticed the thread for asking for specific titles to be "worked on."

Right now, I'm in the middle of comparing book lists to what's already "in inventory" here, and acquiring both the epub and mobi editions of the works that are already completed.

IF anyone is interested, I can put up the entire book list for each grade from Kindergarten - 12th grade (sorry, I don't know how those equate grade / class-wise across the pond. If someone would translate for me I'd appreciate it.)

In general, how does everyone feel about working on NON-fiction works rather than fiction? (or should I open another thread for that question?)

Thanks,
Kathy
klmmc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:23 PM   #73
klmmc13
formatting student
klmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

I realize that debate is good for the soul, and great exercise for the mind, and blood-pressure if kept civil and good natured, but I didn't think my simply asking about using or redistributing some works for homeschoolers who might not have found them on their own was going to cause such a ruckus.

I Thank ALL OF YOU for your assorted viewpoints and assistance.
Harry, I believe, has acknowledged what I believed to be correct - that any work in the MR Library of works is available for redistribution / direction to the correct download page, etc.

As I start working on the Workbooks, I'll be more than happy to post samples for comment and review. If anyone wants to help in this project, I sure wont turn it down.

Thanks,
Kathy
Old 02-17-2016, 02:23 PM   #74
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmmc13 View Post
Thank you Granny, I had noticed the thread for asking for specific titles to be "worked on."

[...]

In general, how does everyone feel about working on NON-fiction works rather than fiction? (or should I open another thread for that question?)

Thanks,
Kathy
Best to post the titles you wish for in the thread you mention at the beginning of your post. Maybe you're lucky.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #75
klmmc13
formatting student

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Best to post the titles you wish for in the thread you mention at the beginning of your post. Maybe you're lucky.
So I'll need to make a separate post for each book I'm looking for, rather than a single post with several books? is that correct?