Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #1
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
Ever put down a book because you were afraid of what would happen?

I have tried to read "Tess of the D'Urbervilles" but only got to the point in which she was picked up to be taken to a manor as a governess/nurse(?).

I have an impression from somewhere that something bad happens to her and I am so invested in her well-being that I can't read further.

Does this happen to you or do you say "It is only fiction, I will continue"?

I have had this happen to me with others books but managed to keep on with a feeling of dread. Maybe I am not as invested in the character or I feel it will turn out okay in the end. But Thomas Hardy takes no prisoners.
--MH

Last edited by dynabook; 01-25-2016 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Typo
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:35 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The purpose of a fiction book is to watch the main character suffer.

Okay, not really. Only sometimes.
But if it is the type of story that doesn't have a happy ending, presumably you started reading it because you wanted that.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2016, 06:09 PM   #3
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Nope never. As eli said. It's the suffering we learn from rom and grow through.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:59 PM   #4
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I generally dump books if they wander into graphic sex.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:02 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Back when Mary Stewart's Arthurian Saga was being released, I stopped and never did read the fourth book (The Wicked Day). I don't read lots of fantasy and only knew the most basic details of the legend of Arthur. If I'm remembering who's who correctly, Stewart made Mordred so sympathetic, I couldn't stand to read the next step (where he turns into the villain of the piece).

I'm also pretty sure I have a few books that are 1 or 2 in a trilogy that I never did read because I was collecting them to read the entire series at a go, and I heard it ended up going in a direction I knew I wouldn't have liked.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2016, 07:22 PM   #6
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
This reminds me of the TV show "Friends" when Rachel and Joey put the books they were reading in the freezer because they were afraid of what was about to happen. Maybe the OP can try that
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:56 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm more likely to put a book down when there IS no fear of what might happen.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:10 PM   #8
elaysee
Groupie
elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook, Kobo, Kindle, iPad
I had Barbara Hambly's last three Winterlands novels on my TBR shelf for 15 years after hearing about a central plot thread and just not wanting to go there at that time in my life. From there they grew into The Books I Dread in a ridiculous fashion.

Minor spoiler, wouldn't demolish the whole series, but you mightn't want to know if you haven't read 'em and plan to:

Spoiler:
The series involves demonic possession, and the influence from Hambly's marriage to a drug addict is quite apparent, in what happens to one of her viewpoint characters.
elaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:32 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
How boring.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:55 PM   #10
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
I generally dump books if they wander into graphic sex.
Me too. If I wanted that, I wouldn't be reading a book.

I also quit books that are too depressing. If everyone is a slimeball and everything is horrible I get bored. Or if the same thing happens over and over to certain characters.

Purple prose doesn't always result in putting the book down, but it does always result in me mocking it.

Last edited by Rbneader; 01-25-2016 at 09:58 PM.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:00 PM   #11
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post
I have tried to read "Tess of the D'Urbervilles" but only got to the point in which she was picked up to be taken to a manor as a governess/nurse(?).

I have an impression from somewhere that something bad happens to her and I am so invested in her well-being that I can't read further.

Does this happen to you or do you say "It is only fiction, I will continue"?

I have had this happen to me with others books but managed to keep on with a feeling of dread. Maybe I am not as invested in the character or I feel it will turn out okay in the end. But Thomas Hardy takes no prisoners.
--MH
I read "Tess of the D'Urbervilles" decades ago and I remember that feeling very well. I'm sure I put the book down a few times but I always picked it back up.

I will tell you this: that book is worth suffering through. It's an amazing and powerful and beautifully written story. And yes, something bad is about to happen but it gets even worse down the line.

Stop if you have to but not for too long. This isn't a book you want to miss.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:09 AM   #12
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I don't care for the scary suspense type books, but I have stopped progressing in a series that I absolutely love because I don't want it to ... end. A 36 book 'series' that I've read 35 of, multiple times. And I can/will read them again...but if I ever read that last one...

BTW, I have the book, wanted to support the author. It's called Magician's End.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:42 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

How odd. The last few Riftwar books utterly disgusted me, which is why I haven't finished the series yet.

Of course, the Empire Trilogy is still one of my favorite series' out there.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:03 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Probably not a good idea even start a Thomas Hardy book if you don't want anything bad to happen to the protagonist. One thing you can be certain of with Hardy is that the protagonist will not "live happily ever after" . He or she will end up miserable, depressed, dead, or some combination of the above.

For goodness sake don't read Hardy's "Jude the Obscure". Has to be the most depressing book ever written .

Last edited by HarryT; 01-26-2016 at 06:21 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:42 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
How boring.
Huh-what?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote