Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-22-2016, 10:09 PM   #151
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You should have updated the jailbreak before the firmware update.

Go to the jailbreak thread and apply the hotfix immediately.
Then download the MrPI (MobileRead Package Installer) KUAL extension, since the "Update Your Kindle" method of installing hacks has been deprecated (Amazon broke it).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:14 PM   #152
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It is one of the FGA today, but I'll save you the search.
Take the first 4 (or 6) characters of your serial number and look it up in this chart:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

The update_*.bin file is disappearing because it isn't for your model Kindle (the packages are all 'model locked').

Hint: It is a PW-1 not a K5
You probably should update your info block in the control panel to show the correct model nickname (it will help us, and might even remind you ).
Um, universal update packages apply to all series 5.x devices?
Also, evil firmware 5.6.x...

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-22-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Advert
Old 03-22-2016, 10:19 PM   #153
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Update_mkk-20141129-k5-ALL_install.bin sure looks like a "K5 only" update package.
Which is why I posted what I did post.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:22 PM   #154
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Code:
[eschwartz@arch /tmp]$ kindletool convert -i Update_mkk-20141129-k5-ALL_install.bin 
Checking update package 'Update_mkk-20141129-k5-ALL_install.bin'.
Bundle         SP01 (Signing Envelope)
Cert number    0
Cert file      pubdevkey01.pem (Developer)
Bundle         FD04 (Versionless [vls])
Bundle Type    OTA V2
Minimum OTA    0
Target OTA     18446744073709551615
Devices        25
Device         Kindle 5 Touch WiFi
Device         Kindle 5 Touch WiFi+3G
Device         Kindle 5 Touch WiFi+3G Europe
Device         Kindle PaperWhite WiFi
Device         Kindle PaperWhite WiFi+3G
Device         Kindle PaperWhite WiFi+3G Canada
Device         Kindle PaperWhite WiFi+3G Europe
Device         Kindle PaperWhite WiFi+3G Japan
Device         Kindle PaperWhite WiFi+3G Brazil
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi Japan
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G Canada
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G Europe
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G Russia
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G Japan
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi (4GB) International
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G (4GB) Europe
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G (4GB)
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi+3G (4GB) Canada
Device         Kindle Basic (2014)
Device         Kindle Voyage WiFi
Device         Kindle Voyage WiFi+3G
Device         Kindle Voyage WiFi+3G Europe
Device         Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi
Critical       0
Padding Byte   0 (0x00)
MD5 Hash       5201418c19a890ba6c6558ccac4beadc
Metadata       0
Which was expected unless NiLuJe deliberately built it with `kindletool --device touch` which would be silly. ("kindle5: Alias for touch, paperwhite, paperwhite2, basic, voyage & paperwhite3")

Anyway, firmware 5.6.x is a sufficient explanation, why borrow trouble?

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-22-2016 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:25 PM   #155
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yeah, that's a K5 in the sense "everything under the sun running FW 5.x", with an extra ALL in there to make it stick .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2016, 05:56 AM   #156
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
KUAL was working on my DX. Then amazon pushed a book to it saying it is no longer a test kindle. Then KUAL failed to load. Installing MKK again fixed it. I closed the backdoor with the kual extension. I hope it stays fixed.

The reason I enabled wireless was to get a time update, so the keys would work without failing to load because of a "date error".
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:44 AM   #157
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
KUAL was working on my DX. Then amazon pushed a book to it saying it is no longer a test kindle. Then KUAL failed to load. Installing MKK again fixed it. I closed the backdoor with the kual extension. I hope it stays fixed.

The reason I enabled wireless was to get a time update, so the keys would work without failing to load because of a "date error".
There is a button for that. (en_Apple)

It sets date/time from the public NTP network, works even with the Block Big Brother firewall in place.
The supplied configuration of NTP access addresses is fairly general, but it lives in USB storage and the user can set it to their choice of (closer) NTP addresses.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:33 AM   #158
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Except you're in a bit of a catch-22 when the date is so wrong that KUAL won't even start .

(But it goes to show that, yeah, having a sane date/time is a prerequisite for a number of things ).
Old 03-27-2016, 12:54 AM   #159
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I added a searchbar shortcut to start kterm directly, so there.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:51 AM   #160
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Except you're in a bit of a catch-22 when the date is so wrong that KUAL won't even start .

(But it goes to show that, yeah, having a sane date/time is a prerequisite for a number of things ).
As I recall, you can set the date from a search debug command, at least on the K3. I wonder if that works on newer kindles. I also wonder if they ever fixed the root shell you could get from their unescaped use of the entered date from that debug command directly inserted into a linux date command. With very limited available date field width, I used an nc reverse shell as I recall, but I only shared this knowledge with one other individual until now. I may have details in an old sent PM, if I could ever find it. I think the busybox had nc built-in at that time, so probably a special case.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-28-2016 at 12:54 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:39 AM   #161
knc1
Going Viral

Yes -
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=45

the field scrolls on the newer firmwares
Old 05-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #162
areyou
areyou began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs-505
Hi,

Sorry if any of this sounds stupid, but I'll try my best to be clear in what's happening.

I have a Kindle Touch with 5.3.7.3 and Jailbreak installed with Kubrick. When I tried to install K5 Collections Manager, it gave me a "Your Kindle is not authorized by the developer..." error, so I tried to install MKK.

However when I choose "Update Your Kindle" the screen goes black and stays stuck that way. Only way to get it out of that state is to hold the power button to reset.

I've tried everything again from the beginning and the same but I'm not sure where to start trying to fix the problem.
areyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:31 PM   #163
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@areyou: Try reinstalling the K5 JB instead. There are reports of wonkyness in the Touch image installed by Kubrick on that front (and, at the very least, it's severely outdated, so I'd still recommend that even if everything appeared to be working).

Not that the OTA updater apparently crashing/hanging like that is a terribly good sign, but, you never know xD.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-14-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:00 PM   #164
areyou
areyou began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs-505
@NiLuJe I ended up partitioning with Kubrick and putting it back to 5.1, then reinstalling everything.

Still a few issues but MKK and Collections Manager are working now, and thats all I wanted!
areyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:09 AM   #165
Bry2
Bry2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hi,

I have a kindle oasis that I have successfully jailbroken via
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877

I want to install the collections manager addon which has a requirement of this addon.

However, I am really confused. I have downloaded the zip file but i cant find a matching bin file?

According to the wiki it is
G0B0GC Kindle Oasis WiFi KOA

Does this mean I cant use this addon and therefore most other addons wont work as they all seem to require this one
Bry2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindlet, mkk