Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2013, 12:33 AM   #286
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
David; I wonder if this is related to a bug that has been fixed in mewer builds. Remember I had posted this
Quote:
Compression: JPEG, quality: 98, subsampling OFF
Resolution: 300 x 300
Current Size: 2251 x 2813 Pixels (6.33 MPixels) (1.25)
Print Size: 19.1 x 23.8 cm; 7.5 x 9.4 inches
Current Colors: 16,7 Millions (24 BitsPerPixel)
Number of Unique Colors: 1816
Disk Size: 866.52 KB (887,317 Bytes)
as an image that woulld not display. George t. made a fix to allow larger imagers to be handled.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:29 AM   #287
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Peter: You might be right. I meant to mention I was using the beta firmware.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2013, 04:23 AM   #288
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The preview downloaded and worked with no problems. The preview was DRM free, so I took a copy of the file and added epub as the extension. On both the Glo and the Touch, this worked with no problem. The cover displays on the home page and lists and the book opens.
With the full book, I had to manually resize the cover for it to display on the home page. (Glo 2.8.1a, full book sideloaded on the main card.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
David; I wonder if this is related to a bug that has been fixed in mewer builds. Remember I had posted this (snip) as an image that woulld not display. George t. made a fix to allow larger imagers to be handled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Peter: You might be right. I meant to mention I was using the beta firmware.
The beta firmware could well be the difference, and if so, I'll be glad to get that update!
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:26 AM   #289
leftright
Addict
leftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Glo
EDIT 2 (to previous post, Covert art not displaying on Glo).

The Cover art of the "additional books" previously sideloaded to the Glo finally refreshed, this occurred after creating a new library in Calibre, adding some "new" books to this library, then I deleted the metadata file in this (Calibre) library, then sideloaded the new books to the Glo.

lo' and behold, the other stubborn cover art then magically appeared in the Glo's library.
*sigh* I'm so happy...

and the Glo is more responsive to selections and browsing.

EDIT;

As a experiment, I did a factory reset of my Glo, synched with kobodesktop and latest firmware, then sideloaded all books from Calibre to Glo, opened Books, started browsing the Glo's Books library, cover art displayed until about midway through collection, thereafter no cover art displayed in either "List view" or "Cover view".

(free space in internal memory is 68mb).

Could it be that the space which kobo's firmware allocates for caching of cover art is insufficient ?.

Last edited by leftright; 10-14-2013 at 03:02 AM.
leftright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #290
canuck100
canuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to beholdcanuck100 is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura, iPad4
Bug: Bottom 1/4 - 1/2 inch of page blanks after highlight and search
Product: Kobo Aura
Firmware: 2.9.0(042df55fo04,9/15/13
Plugins:
File types:epub
Sideloaded or from Kobobooks: from gutenberg.org
On external SD:
Steps to reproduce:
  1. highlight a word
  2. hit search
  3. return to page to resume reading
Current result: The bottom few lines on the page are missing - missing on all page displays whether moving forward or backward in the book
Workaround: Return to home screen and reload book
canuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #291
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@canuck100: If you keep repeating the steps, the blank area moves up the screen. And you can get a similar looking problem using bookmarks.

The bug has been fixed in the betas and should be OK in the next release.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #292
rkr
rkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo aura hd
bug-kobo aura hd:kobo freezes after pluging in to computer

Bug: kobo freezes after pluging in to computer
Product: Kobo Aura HD
Firmware: 2.8.1
sometimes i put books in my kobo and then check how its looking on the reader. so after 3-4 plug in and plug outs in a short span when i plug it in 5th time and click connect it is not recognised by computer and then freezes .then i have to take out the memory card and reset it (with the pin)to make it work again.
Is this a firmware problem?
or am i doing something wrong?
pls help
thanks in advance

Last edited by rkr; 10-25-2013 at 10:25 AM.
rkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #293
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Are you properly ejecting the device from the computer before you physically disconnect it? Are you just drag and dropping the files or using calibre to add them?
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #294
rkr
rkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to behold

@robko i am ejecting the device through calibre everytime . only at the fifth plug in if done in short timespan the reader is not recognised and freezes. i have only experienced it twice.
And as far as i remember the last time the reader told me to format memory card as it could not recognise it. so i took out the memory card and put it back in and it worked.but still i formatted it with a card reader and put it back in. as i connected the ereader to put book in memory card it froze.

i dont know if it was an isolated incident or is it a reoccurring bug.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #295
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

rkr: When you disconnect, are you waiting for the home screen to display and for the SD card to be processed? The processing of the SD card can take a bit of time. THere is usually an extra flash of the screen when it is finished and the "Library" tile gets updated.

Also, with my Glo, I do what you are describing all the time. I haven't seen this problem. But, the Aura HD might be different.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #296
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi

Happy !

I remember not too long ago polls where people complained about header or footer sizes, long paragraph bugs, expressed wishes to get a better font suport, finer control over light, margins...

It's my pleasure to tell you, after complaining loudly, frequently, that for now, I am very happy with my Kobo Glo v 2.8.1. at least for the comfortable reading it provides to me.

There are some tricks: I
- side-loaded some nice fonts, among others Charis Sil modified
- appplied a patch to significantly improve French hyphenation
- added one dictionary
and...
- installed Kobo Patcher v. 0.7 which kills, among others, the scandalous long paragrah bug and other smaller irritants.

After six months so-so, I enjoy now really reading EPUBs with my Kobo

Last edited by roger64; 10-26-2013 at 09:06 PM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:13 AM   #297
tharael89
Enthusiast
tharael89 began at the beginning.

Bug: the reader can't open files with the ! in the file name (not book name or metadata, only file name)
Product: kobo aura hd
Firmware: 2.8.1 (9a63806202, 15/07/13)
Plugins:
File types: kobo epub
Sideloaded or from Kobobooks:
On external SD: yes
Steps to reproduce:
  1. load a kepub in your sd card
  2. rename the kepub file (in the sd) and add ! where you want
Current result: the kepub won't be opened and a warning notice will appear telling you to reload the library or contact the kobo help from the site
Workaround: you have to eliminate the ! from the file and from every file you'll eventually load on the sd.

Ps: i've found this bug after the conversion with calibre of 1 epub that has the file name and book title with a !. the problem appears only when the ! is in the file name. i've also checked if it appears with the ! in the "<dc:title>" and "<meta content=" line of the content.opf and i've not found any problem there.
tharael89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #298
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Product: Aura HD (but I think it's irrelevant. I'll explain later)
Firmware: 2.8.1. (b2c05cda0e, 9/20/2013)
Plugins: ???
File types: At least kepubized epubs but I suppose "official" kepubs too
Sideloaded or from Kobobooks: epubs loaded through Calibre as kepubs (KoboTouchExtended Plugin in Calibre)
On external SD: No
Steps to reproduce:

First of all an explanation and context.

In English you usually write conversation paragraphs in this way:
Code:
"Bla, bla, bla," John said. "More bla, bla, bla."
(I've intentionally used code tags because of the bug explanation. I need to put spaces with precision).

But in Spanish books, the same paragraph would be written in this way:
Code:
—Bla, bla, bla, —John said—. More bla, bla, bla.
Please notice that if you have in your hands a well formatted text, it will use dashes not minus signs or small hyphens. I've used long dash ( — or &mdash; ), but medium dash is also frequently used ( – or &ndash; ). I've checked the issue I'm going to explain at least in a book which uses — , and in a book which uses &mdash;.

The problem arises because as the dashes are joined to the word as you can see in the code view (— to the first "Bla", — to "John", — to both "said" and the dot). I mean that dashes are just another punctuation mark; they behave just like dots, commas, semicolons or question marks. They are always "attached" to their partner word.

But Kepub renderer, (at least in Aura HD v.2.8.1), doesn't work in this way. It considers dashes as a "different word".

In this way if you have a justified text with longer spaces between words than usual you end with the following rendering:

Code:
— Bla,  bla,  bla,  — John  said — .  More  bla,  bla,  bla.
(I've put an extra space between "words")

And that rendering is completely weird. The correct one would be:
Code:
—Bla,  bla,  bla,  —John  said—.  More  bla,  bla,  bla.
All my books in my Kobo account are English books, so I cannot confirm if this issue is present in "official" Kepubs. I can only see it in "Kepubized" epubs through Calibre. But I'd bet money that the Kepub source is not relevant at all, that the problem is in the "engine".

Side note:
Within the pure epub renderer, i.e. ADE renderer, this bug doesn't happen. BUT there's another different issue that exists even in my old Sony PRS-650. And I suppose that this issue ALSO happens within Kepub renderer. (I haven't checked).
Dashes are "wrongly" considered "wrap points". So in a sentence like the previous one you can end with:
Code:
—Bla, bla, bla, —
John said—. More bla, bla, bla.
or even with:
Code:
—Bla, bla, bla, —John said
—. More bla, bla, bla.
As a workaround for this issue within ADE I always unDRM and edit my Spanish epubs and then I change the conversation paragraph code into:
Code:
<p>—Bla, bla, bla, <span style:"white-space:nowrap">—John</span> <span style:"white-space:nowrap">said—.</span> More bla, bla, bla.</p>
(I do it through Regex searches...)
But this workaround doesn't avoid the "extra" middle space within kepub renderer...
Current result: Explained above
Workaround: I don't know any. (Ideas are welcome )
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #299
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Can you PM me a link to a freely-downloadable Spanish book that demonstrates this problem? Even better if you can point to what chapter and page it happens on.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #300
rkr

Bug: the reader doesnt display last books read on the home screen until i open any one book stored on the device(i have books in memory card).-started after reset.
Product: kobo aura hd
Firmware: 2.8.1

the bug started to happen when i did a reset after my kobo aura hd hanged after i plugged my aura hd to the computer and clicked connect on the kobo.
the computer after that didnt recognize the reader . so i unplugged it and did a pin hole reset .after that whenever i turn off and then on the books on the home screen dissapear. on shelves and stats remain unless i open a book by going inside library or shelves or i dismiss a tile.

I have done two resets to my reader both were when i formatted the memory card and inserted into the reader(as my ereader displayed cant recognize fat 32 memory card(or something like that)).when i connected my ereader to the computer to add books it hanged.the first time after reset the above bug didnt appear.but after the second reset the above bug appeared.

pls help
thanks in advance

Tags
pocket app