Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #901
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox T68
I tried the first version of the 1.8 and the meeting generally slower.
It shows in the beginning of the reader and page turning him into pdf documents.

Does it affect this slow the 900 books I have copied to the microSD card?
With the latest 1.7 was faster.
Or is it because I'm using the new PDFReader?

Do the same on the new 1.8?

regards

Last edited by fraylocus; 11-01-2012 at 12:09 PM.
fraylocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #902
Moinchen
Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
Unhappy Complete freeze

After the update to the new firmware (20121101), all seemed fine at first. But then, after I had connected and disconnected to my computer, the 'usb connection active' screen went away (though slower than usual) and I got a non-reacting start screen (the overview page showing last docs, internal mem, sd card...).

I tried turning off with the button on the bottom of the device - nothing, not even on long pressing.

I tried pressing the reset button at the back - nothing, not even on pressing it for about 20 seconds.

What's next to try? Taking out the battery? I wanted to take the device with me for a longer voyage this weekend... Sch....

On USB-Connection, the red light still goes on, but that is the only reaction that I get from the device.

Update: After waiting for half an hour and pressing the start button at the bottom, it rebooted.

Last edited by Moinchen; 11-01-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Update
Moinchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #903
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moinchen View Post
After the update to the new firmware (20121101), all seemed fine at first. But then, after I had connected and disconnected to my computer, the 'usb connection active' screen went away (though slower than usual) and I got a non-reacting start screen (the overview page showing last docs, internal mem, sd card...).

I tried turning off with the button on the bottom of the device - nothing, not even on long pressing.

Update: After waiting for half an hour and pressing the start button at the bottom, it rebooted.
Next time, try booting with volume button pressed. This starts more complete boot procedure.
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #904
Moinchen
Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.

Silly question: volume up or down?... Or is there no difference?...
Old 11-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #905
psv
Connoisseur
psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, remarkable
I have questions about the new pdf reader in the 1.8 firmware:

Is it possible to set the "page mode"? If I try to do it, the reader goes to the "paper mode". I suppose I need exactly this option and it doesn't work.

The "auto crop" option is not perfect (strangely it removes the left margin and creates a wide right margin, but also the page content doesn't always fit; it's worse than what it used to be). So I'd like to use e.g. the 2-point zoom. But that forces the reader to the "paper mode", and the ">" button moves me around the page (showing me the margin). What it the right way of reading if I want to crop the margins?
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #906
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Can anybody explain in a short sentence each of these buttons

Page Mode
Scrolling Mode
Comic mode
Paper Mode
Previous view

Thanks
PF
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #907
Kalari
Kalari began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300, Onyx Boox M92
How to you turn pages in PDFs using the joystick? Does not seem possible in any of the "modes".
Kalari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:30 AM   #908
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
It used to be possible in old firmwares. In 1.8, it seems, it is used to move view port.

To move pages use < > buttons.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:14 AM   #909
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
I have questions about the new pdf reader in the 1.8 firmware:

Is it possible to set the "page mode"? If I try to do it, the reader goes to the "paper mode". I suppose I need exactly this option and it doesn't work.

The "auto crop" option is not perfect (strangely it removes the left margin and creates a wide right margin, but also the page content doesn't always fit; it's worse than what it used to be). So I'd like to use e.g. the 2-point zoom. But that forces the reader to the "paper mode", and the ">" button moves me around the page (showing me the margin). What it the right way of reading if I want to crop the margins?
Hi,
auto crop (in page settings) does not create margins. It cuts them. But it is not a zooming tool. Even if you apply auto crop you will see the same zoom level - as result you see not existing "right margin". Just imagine you would zoom out - you weill also see something like margins too. The result of cutting of margins you will be able to see if you have to zoom the page (e-g- to read multi column text). If you want "auto crop + zoom" you can use "auto crop" in reading tools. There it is similar to old "Hide Margins".

I will make a video tutorial soon to explain how those new features work.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:35 AM   #910
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Can anybody explain in a short sentence each of these buttons

Page Mode
Scrolling Mode
Comic mode
Paper Mode
Previous view

Thanks
PF
After opening of a new PDF Document often we have to adjust the page size (Page Setup). In most cases we don’t want to see to big margins of original document. So we can use the “auto crop”, ”Two point” tools or also just set cropping value manually as XX.

Once set - the page settings - are hereafter effective for entire document and virtual page boarders should be handled as real boarders ( moving of viewport behind of that boarders is not allowed. Changing of the page settings of the current document is always possible. You can also reset page setup whenever you want.

Don’t confound page setup tools and zooming tools! Zooming tools are actually just tools, which could be applied on a document, where the page settings are already set. Zooming tools have to respect the by user applied page settings.

-----------------

In “Reading menu” you can switch between two Reading modes -“Page mode” and “Scrolling mode”.
In “Page Mode” we have additionaly two viewport navigating modes “Paper” and “Comic” mode.
(in future update additionally, for customers, who read from right to left, we will add this toggle for reading direction: Left-to-Right/Right-to-left)

Standard settings (by first opening of a new document):
Page mode” is on and “Paper mode” is on (in "page mode" either "paper" or "comic" mode are almost always on!)

How do zooming tools and hardware controls work in those modes?

General for all modes:
  • With joystick you are able to adjust the visible area horizontally (5% of the displayed scaled area).
  • With up and down joystick movements you are able to do zoom in / zoom out of visible area (same like wit (+) /(-) icons
  • By moving of viewport with “<” “>” buttons next viewport starts there where previous ends with a small overlapping
  • The boarders of the last applied viewport are displayed as interrupted/grey lines.
  • With zooming tools (zoom, custom. zoom, two point zoom ...) you can scale a particular area. Current viewport position will be displayed also in viewport icon
1. If "Scrolling mode" is on (paper/comic mode icons and settings do not have any effect in that mode)
a. With “>” “<” buttons you scroll vertically to the next/previous viewport. Next viewport starts there where previous ends with a small overlapping
b. In this mode it is allowed to show parts of the next/previous (remember! possibly cropped by page setup) page at the same time (if the viewport area displays the end of the last and begin of the next page as a kind of scroll.)
2. Page mode is on
If the current viewport is as big as the cropped page with “>” “<” buttons you can move the viewport to the next page.
a. Paper Mode is on (standard settings). If zooming tools were applied to the page and the viewport is smaller than current page, with “>” “<” buttons you move the Viewport vertically to the next/previous viewport on the same Page. After achieving of the bottom of the first column on the current page, the viewport will be moved to the top of the second column etc. You have to do it as long as the page is not scanned completely. Afterwards viewport will be moved to the next page
b. Comic Mode. If zooming tools were applied to the page and the viewport is smaller than current page with “>” “<” buttons you move the Viewport horizontally to the next/previous viewport on the same Page. After achieving of the right end of the first row (right edge of the page), the viewport will be moved to the left of the second row etc.

Last edited by Booxtor; 11-02-2012 at 03:48 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:18 AM   #911
psv
Connoisseur
psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, remarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,
auto crop (in page settings) does not create margins. It cuts them. But it is not a zooming tool. Even if you apply auto crop you will see the same zoom level - as result you see not existing "right margin". Just imagine you would zoom out - you weill also see something like margins too. The result of cutting of margins you will be able to see if you have to zoom the page (e-g- to read multi column text). If you want "auto crop + zoom" you can use "auto crop" in reading tools. There it is similar to old "Hide Margins".
"Hide Margins" used to , well, hide margins as well as it could, and then center the result on the screen. Now the result is flushed left. Could it be centered again?

Thanks a lot for explaining the "Page Settings" menu - that's exactly what I needed! Except that it doesn't quite work "Auto Crop" (in "Page Settings") doesn't crop anything. "Two Points margin" indeed removes margins - but it doesn't make the two marked points to the corners of the viewport - I don't really understand what it does (it crops too much). The "Custom margin" works perfectly.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #912
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW, M92
The shutdown functionality still seems not to work properly (appeared with the previous FW-update).
When switching the device into standby at night, and displaying the standby background-pic, today i recognized, that the last read PDF was shown, the clock showed the correct time, the page buttons were working, but the stylus was without function.
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #913
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenderland View Post
The shutdown functionality still seems not to work properly (appeared with the previous FW-update).
When switching the device into standby at night, and displaying the standby background-pic, today i recognized, that the last read PDF was shown, the clock showed the correct time, the page buttons were working, but the stylus was without function.
I can confirm this.

I have set my device to 10 minutes to StandBy, and 15 minutes to Poweroff. If I stopped reading something, my device will go to StandBy and power itself off later. That part works fine.

However, if I make it go to StandBy manually, after a certain time the device leaves StandBy by itself and returns to the main screen. It looks almost as if it tries to shut itself down (at least that's what I assume is happening here), but fails at it.

There I can't do anything (e.g. open books or go to settings). Also, the stylus does not work, and the device cannot be sent to StandBy by pressing the power button quickly. The only fix to this is to turn the device off completely (holding the power button). Rebooting solves it.

The big problem here is that after this happens the device is pretty much running all the time, which obviously drains the battery quite quickly.
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #914
Moinchen

RSS-Reader gone in firmware 20121101

In another subforum, this was already mentioned, but I don't know if booxtor could realize this is a bug. It was expressed kind of vaguely.

The RSS-Reader icon is nowhere to be seen in the new firmware. I haven't tried starting it manually (and I don't know where to look for it). Can I do anything to make the icon reappear? Or is this for the next firmware version?
Old 11-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #915
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moinchen View Post
Silly question: volume up or down?... Or is there no difference?...
The one that is closer to power button. If this is up or down, i dont remeber... I rarely use them for their primary function
janek is offline   Reply With Quote