Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 05:40 AM   #1
sej7278
Enthusiast
sej7278 began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Question Reader shows half a line top/bottom

My one gripe with the E-book Viewer (at least in 7.49/50/52 binaries for Linux) is that it often seems to crop the first/last line of text per page.

Its a bit hard to explain but I only see half of the text vertically, see attached screenshot.

I've tried editing the CSS but margin-top:50px; doesn't seem to do anything - in fact a lot of the layout CSS does nothing I've found - only colours work.....

Its not format-specific, I get the same problem with .mobi or .epub

Its not distro-specific as I have the same problem on Fedora 13/14 and Ubuntu 10.04, fullscreen or not, various screen resolutions etc.

I don't have the problem with FBReader or Kobo Desktop, but prefer the Calibre-integration (Kobo's rendering is very nice but I don't like the application itself).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_bug.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	69096  
sej7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:50 AM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I've run into the same thing on occasion only half or more of the bottom part of the bottom line is truncated. It doesn't get picked up when I go to the next screen but the line is fixed when I go back to the screen where the problem occurred. It doesn't happen very often and I don't use the reader often so I never bothered to report it. I'm still using version 0.7.47 (nothing of interest to me has been added or fixed since then).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 05:59 AM   #3
sej7278
Enthusiast

it does seem a bit intermittent, like a rendering/refresh bug, as it often clears itself as you say.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
This used to happen a lot (calibre 6.x) to me in the main library window. Using Page up and Down would always miss showing a partial as full line at the new position. (A partial line at the bottom, should have become the first Full line at the top. Instead only the next record showed).

this still happens in 7.x. (look at the line numbers after 1 stroke on the page down key)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pagebefore.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	69118   Click image for larger version

Name:	pageafter.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	69119  
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's not exactly the same thing since all you have to do is scroll down to see the truncated line. In the viewer, one goes from "page" to "page" and the truncated line doesn't always carry over, requiring one to page back to pick it up. It's not a huge problem but it is hugely annoying.
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre's viewer allows both line and page based scrolling. In such a scenario partial lines are unavoidable. A partially cropped line one one screen will be displayed completely on the next when using Page Down. This is how your browser works.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
sej7278
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre's viewer allows both line and page based scrolling. In such a scenario partial lines are unavoidable. A partially cropped line one one screen will be displayed completely on the next when using Page Down. This is how your browser works.
kindle pc/kobo desktop/fbreader handle this just fine.

would disabling line-based scrolling fix the issue, as i never use that?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sej7278 View Post
kindle pc/kobo desktop/fbreader handle this just fine.

would disabling line-based scrolling fix the issue, as i never use that?
There's no way to "disable line based scrolling" without completely changing how the reader works.

calibre's viewer supports the huge variety of html+css that it does by reusing a browser rendering engine to power it. In that case there are only three possibilities

1) Support only page based rendering
2) Support line+Page based rendering with the occasional line cut off
3) Do an extensive rewrite of the rendering engine (an option that would take man-months of time)

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 03-28-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The last time I used the viewer, the cropped line didn't always display on the next page. I would have to page back to see the complete line.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
The last time I used the viewer, the cropped line didn't always display on the next page. I would have to page back to see the complete line.
Then that's a bug and you should open a ticket with a file that shows the issue.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #11
sej7278
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
yup, that's what i always see, which i why i opened this thread - i assumed it was a bug, but its not been fixed in the last 3-4 versions i've tried, so i wondered if i was doing something wrong.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #12
darkul
darkul began at the beginning.

Device: none
I guess I missed something: how do I get a fullscreen view within E-book viewer. I don't want any symbols or other distractions while reading a book. Is there a possibility?
darkul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkul View Post
I guess I missed something: how do I get a fullscreen view within E-book viewer. I don't want any symbols or other distractions while reading a book. Is there a possibility?
Are you wanting to hid the tool bars?
Note: you can drag them to a new location, even detach them from the viewer, but I don't think you can hide them.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #14
darkul
darkul began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for the fast answer.
Ok, then I have to live with the icons.
darkul is offline   Reply With Quote