Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
moondog
Enthusiast
moondog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moondog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moondog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moondog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moondog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moondog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moondog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moondog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moondog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moondog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moondog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Is There a market for Short Stories and Flash Fiction Compilations?

What with the receding attention spans and longer commute times does it make sense to offer a compilation of short stories to readers? Are people interested in short stories? I ask because I have been compiling a few and want to know whether it's a style of book people enjoy. There are multiple genres but a common theme (I think). Your comments are most welcome! Thank you.

moondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You've been a member more than long enough to know what the correct forum to post in is. Moved to the "Writers' Corner" forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:00 AM   #3
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
There is a market, since I've bought a few. I've found them useful while I'm sitting in waiting rooms and I don't know in advance how long I'll be there. I've also seen some authors pitching them as stories short enough to be read on a coffee break or lunch hour.

As to how big a market? That I can't tell you.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:05 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
What with the receding attention spans and longer commute times does it make sense to offer a compilation of short stories to readers? Are people interested in short stories? I ask because I have been compiling a few and want to know whether it's a style of book people enjoy. There are multiple genres but a common theme (I think). Your comments are most welcome! Thank you.

Of course it makes sense! Of course people are interested in short stories!

One of the current Nobel Prize winners writes primarily in the short story form.

The short story form has a rich and varied history.

Whether anyone is interested in YOUR stories is something only you can assess.

Aside: You've been a member for 5 years, and you still have no ebook device? I think you need to assess your market and find out who is downloading what and to what device.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:07 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Short stories don't particularly appeal to me personally, but there's certainly a market for them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:08 AM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think so. Sometimes a person doesn't have a lot of free time but wants something to read. Short fiction is ideal.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:25 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yes, but....it's apparently a limited market similar to but not quite as small as poetry.

The good thing is that with web magazines/publications there are many more small markets for such work if you are willing to do the footwork to find and submit to them.

If you are interested in self-publishing collections then it's a matter of marketing to the appropriate (again small) groups.

I've learned during my time as a writer that my place/interest is in short fiction, poetry and non-fiction (essays, articles, creative non-fiction) and that is where I've been focusing my efforts in writing, marketing and publishing the last three years since my 'retirement.' I've not put completely away the idea of writing a novel and have a few ideas floating around that I keep working on intermittently, but of late I'm focused on Flash Fiction, Poetry, Prose Poetry and Short Stories. I will continue to put one foot in front of the other along that path.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:38 AM   #8
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
[...]I've learned during my time as a writer that my place/interest is [...]
This sentence (or part thereof) caught my eye, Kenny. I had to expend quite a lot of effort before I discovered what it was I could write. I started out trying to write science fiction, I thought that's what would suit me best, but I just couldn't make it work. It turned out not to be me at all - and it took a long time for me to realise that. Yes, there are touches of science fiction in what I do now, and a few things that I will (if I publish them) probably have to categorise as science fiction because they don't fit anywhere else, but that's definitely no longer the emphasis, and it's not the science fiction I once dreamed of creating.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, compilations, flash fiction, short stories