Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #166
lindnet
Enthusiast
lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I read through a few pages and didn't see the answer to my question.....I'm sorry if it's been covered.

On the PW, they changed the font options and added some. I have a K4 from last year and am very happy with the font and size I have on it....there is no corresponding font/size on the PW. Have they changed the font options on this new $69 model as well, or do we still have the fonts from the $79 one?
lindnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:43 AM   #167
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
The K4B is the same as last year. The PW should also have the same fonts just with 3 new ones. Caecilia and Caecilia Condensed and Helvetica are the original fonts from the old Kindles.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-03-2012 at 02:42 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #168
lindnet
Enthusiast
lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the quick reply, Blossom! I would like to try the $69 one, but wanted to be sure I could get the same size font I'm used to reading. I cannot get that same size on the new PW, I've tried.
lindnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #169
Masa.F
Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
Does anyone here have the international version K4B?
If so, can you tell me if the screen is also better for the int version.

I am still considering buying the K4B for the chance of getting the improved e-ink screen.
But looking at the Kindle pages I noticed that the K4B without ads sold in the US is out of stock right now but they have the international version in stock.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HCCOD0
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HCCNJU
Are they not exactly the same?
It makes me wonder if they are manufactured and build in separate factories.
Masa.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #170
SisterEowyn
SisterEowyn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (K4B)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa.F View Post
Does anyone here have the international version K4B?
If so, can you tell me if the screen is also better for the int version.

I am still considering buying the K4B for the chance of getting the improved e-ink screen.
But looking at the Kindle pages I noticed that the K4B without ads sold in the US is out of stock right now but they have the international version in stock.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HCCOD0
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HCCNJU
Are they not exactly the same?
It makes me wonder if they are manufactured and build in separate factories.
They're the exact same device. The only difference is geo-restrictions on purchased content. I have an international version as I'm in Australia, and I can assure you that it's all exactly the same as the American version.
SisterEowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #171
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Can anyone post their firmware version number on the black kindle so i can compare to my silver
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #172
SisterEowyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Can anyone post their firmware version number on the black kindle so i can compare to my silver
4.1.0 (1615370055)
Old 10-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #173
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Thanks Eowyn.

My silver has the exact same FW version. Makes me wonder if something was changed under the hood to make for the alledged speed increase. Now Im trying to figure out if i have a white k4 or a grey screen
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #174
SisterEowyn

Quote:
Thanks Eowyn.

My silver has the exact same FW version. Makes me wonder if something was changed under the hood to make for the alledged speed increase. Now Im trying to figure out if i have a white k4 or a grey screen
I'm personally inclined to believe that the 15% speed increase was due to the firmware update, which the silver Kindle received as well - you know, sneaky marketing. I don't personally see any difference in speed when comparing my Kindle and a silver one with the same book.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #175
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindnet View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, Blossom! I would like to try the $69 one, but wanted to be sure I could get the same size font I'm used to reading. I cannot get that same size on the new PW, I've tried.
Hi--

I just compared my K4 and my PW, and with the K4 on "regular" font, and size 4, it's about the same as "Caecilia" size 5 on the PW. Interestingly enough, those are the only ones that seem to match up at all, though. Size 3 on the K4 doesn't match size 4 on the PW, and 5 on the K4 doesn't match 6 on the PW. Since I always read at 4 on the K4, I'm happy Sorry for the others who are having a hard time finding their "ideal" font/size combination, though...

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #176
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks Eowyn.

Both K4s are the same speed. It's just the contrast, background are better than most Silvers out there. The page and power buttons also have been tweaked a bit.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #177
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindnet View Post
I read through a few pages and didn't see the answer to my question.....I'm sorry if it's been covered.

On the PW, they changed the font options and added some. I have a K4 from last year and am very happy with the font and size I have on it....there is no corresponding font/size on the PW. Have they changed the font options on this new $69 model as well, or do we still have the fonts from the $79 one?
The PW has the same eight sizes for fonts, but they display a bit smaller than the corresponding sizes on my Touch, probably due to the different screen resolutions.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:17 AM   #178
Masa.F
Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Masa.F knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterEowyn View Post
They're the exact same device. The only difference is geo-restrictions on purchased content. I have an international version as I'm in Australia, and I can assure you that it's all exactly the same as the American version.
I see, thank you.
Masa.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #179
jeffrx
jeffrx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle NT 4B
Both K4s are the same speed. It's just the contrast, background are better than most Silvers out there. The page and power buttons also have been tweaked a bit.

How are the page buttons different? I have a spinal cord injury that makes my hands very weak. The K3 keyboard's buttons were easy for me, but the weight makes it difficult to hold. The K4 NT silver was easier to hold, but the buttons were smaller and hard for me to push. I'm now back to the keyboard, but if the K4B's buttons are easier to push - I may consider getting one of those.
jeffrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #180
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrx View Post

How are the page buttons different? I have a spinal cord injury that makes my hands very weak. The K3 keyboard's buttons were easy for me, but the weight makes it difficult to hold. The K4 NT silver was easier to hold, but the buttons were smaller and hard for me to push. I'm now back to the keyboard, but if the K4B's buttons are easier to push - I may consider getting one of those.
I can only speak for my K4B but yes the page buttons are easier to push now. I don't drop it trying to turn the page. A little push and the page turns.

On my K4S I have to click the button so to speak and I'd lose my grip in trying to do so...well now I don't because the buttons are worn enough but they were really stiff for the first year. On the K4B it's more easier to turn a page now almost as easy as the K3.

The other button that has changed is the power button it's sits farther back now making it hard to push. I am told the PW also has this design with the power button. This is the only negative I can think of after using my K4B for over a week now.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-04-2012 at 02:26 PM.