Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #31
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I go in phases, depending on my work load, but I have a standing goal to read a novel a week, or about 50 books a year. I also read two or three nonfiction books a year, but I read them over a longer period of time.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #32
CatsMeow
CatsMeow began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & K3
I can read something light like Janet Evanovich or Lee Child in an hour or two and I tend to read rather than watch TV. So I can easily read a book or even two a night. I also speed-read lots of non-fiction if it's not too dense. For example, my latest area of research has been gardening -- I might speed-read 5 or 6 garden books in one session. So I probably read at least 250-300 books per year. Let's just say that my local librarians know me quite well since I'm there every week exchanging several books at a time. Even with my new Nook, I'll have to frequent the library since I couldn't afford my reading habit otherwise.
CatsMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #33
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Wow! These numbers have surpassed my expectations. You must quickly fill up your memory cards!

You can define "book" any way you'd like. Is there a minimum standard definition/word count?

Thanks for the responses. So fascinating.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #34
Serif
metempsychosis
Serif began at the beginning.

Device: number 9, number 9...
300+, and have stopped the terrible habit of counting them :P
Serif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #35
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Wow! These numbers have surpassed my expectations. You must quickly fill up your memory cards!
Ebooks are small. My entire ebook library of 2100+ ebooks takes up less than 2GB.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #36
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Just astonishing. I read for pleasure mostly (well, some self interested educational stuff, too), but like said before, let's get me up to 4 - 6 books (not counting periodicals) per year. How many years would that be for 300 books ?!? (ok, I know the answer, just being rethorical)
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #37
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serif View Post
300+, and have stopped the terrible habit of counting them :P
I never tracked closely; I conservatively estimated 250+, because I read five to 10 a week.

I rarely read books that aren't professionally edited; personal preference. It's expensive to buy that many books. Up till a few years ago, I used to get many, many books for free or for next to nothing, because of the type of editing I did. Now, I pay retail, so I'm really glad Gutenberg books have become easily portable. I used to read 'em on netbook, which was a pain.

I don't find it a big deal to read many books. It's something I've done since childhood. You do something that long, it's not surprising you become fast at it. There's no advantage outside of work, though. For leisure reading, it costs you more. I prefer nonfiction, which tends to be pricier, argh.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #38
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
up to 4 - 6 books (not counting periodicals) per year.
I've certainly read more books since starting to read ebooks - being always able to read the next chapter or start a new book wherever and whenever I am waiting for something.

I've only been keeping close track of the books I've read this year, thanks to this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66263

But checking my library, counting all the books that aren't in my "TBR" folder or "Classics" folder, I have around 1400 ebooks that I've read over the past seven years or so.

So it seems that I have been reading about 200 ebooks per year the past seven years since I started reading ebooks almost exclusively.

I find it hard to imagine /not/ reading at least a book a week.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:48 PM   #39
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've certainly read more books since starting to read ebooks.

I find it hard to imagine /not/ reading at least a book a week.
Totally agree with those both statements.
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #40
CathrynLouis
Enthusiast
CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: iPad
I used to read about a book per week. Now it's more like a book per month.
CathrynLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #41
Witchbaby
Connoisseur
Witchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle2
New Fiction (meaning new to me), would be about 250 per year.

Old Favorites, probably another 40 or so.

NonFiction for Fun, around 15 - 20.

School Texts, another say 10 - 30.

So all told, I read about 300 or so a year. Yikes!

Reading is my chosen pastime. I have other hobbies but I prefer to have my nose in a book. (Although that saying doesn't really work with my Kindle. Maybe if I bought a cover for it?) It works out well since the BF plays lots of MMORPGs.
Witchbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:35 AM   #42
kimsoeun
kimsoeun began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am a busy type of person. I do more on collecting e-books and save and I read if I have the time. I can collect a hundred of e-books but I can only read 20 or more e-book in a year. The same with the hard bound books. Anyway I still love reading and it is never out of my system.
kimsoeun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:27 AM   #43
StanByk
Connoisseur
StanByk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Just out of curiosity, those people here who read 200 to 300 books a year, how do you manage this? Does your job require that you read the books? Do you read very fast? What is your definition of a book, e.g. how many pages would it have on average as a typical paper back? Are you pensioners? Also, do you have families? Do you have other hobbies?

Sorry, I hope that my questions don't come across as being aggressive - I don't want to be obnoxious, I am really just genuinely curious how you guys manage to read that many books. Myself, I manage to read about 40 to 50 books per year (each having maybe around 200 pages on average). This doesn't include the reading of scientific articles that I have to do for my job. This is just my spare-time reading.
StanByk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:44 AM   #44
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanByk View Post
Just out of curiosity, those people here who read 200 to 300 books a year, how do you manage this?
I don't watch much telly. I read for two to three hours each day. I read quite quickly -- when I've taken on-line reading speed tests, I've usually been around 400 wpm.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:08 AM   #45
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanByk View Post
Just out of curiosity, those people here who read 200 to 300 books a year, how do you manage this? Does your job require that you read the books? Do you read very fast? What is your definition of a book, e.g. how many pages would it have on average as a typical paper back? Are you pensioners? Also, do you have families? Do you have other hobbies?

Sorry, I hope that my questions don't come across as being aggressive - I don't want to be obnoxious, I am really just genuinely curious how you guys manage to read that many books. Myself, I manage to read about 40 to 50 books per year (each having maybe around 200 pages on average). This doesn't include the reading of scientific articles that I have to do for my job. This is just my spare-time reading.
I haven't watched TV in years. I edit for a living, but I'm referring only to books that I read for leisure when I give my number on this thread. I was an impatient and greedy reader as a kid; I found out during a test for a summer high school program that I had turned myself into a speed reader. I read fast even compared with editing colleagues. Workload-wise, I can produce about double what many do. I'm happily child-free, and my husband and I split chores. I now have more free time than many people, but my reading has stayed consistent through decades.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote