Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-23-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
WoodLark
WoodLark began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ Reader 6"
Linux doesn't see EZ-Reader

I have an Ez-Reader 6 inch that I just bought. When I plug it in to a USB port on my computer (running Puppy Linux 4.2.1), PMounter does not see either the SD card or the internal memory, so I can't mount them.

I can access the SD card just fine by removing it from the EZ-Reader and using an SD card reader so I can load and re-arrange files on the SD card, but I have no way to get to the internal memory..

Any ideas?
WoodLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
klikklak
Connoisseur
klikklak doesn't litterklikklak doesn't litter

Device: nokia 770, PRS-500
Sorry to reply without being an owner, but I've been struggling with an iliad today with a similar problem. If you get

usb 2-4: device descriptor read/64, error -110
usb 2-4: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 8
usb 2-4: device not accepting address 8, error -110

Then it looks like it's a kernel problem with the newer 2.6.3x's. I had working for awhile, but after digging around and enough rebooting for half a year I still haven't got a solution. Except for waiting.
klikklak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Is the unit turned on when you attempt to mount it? (I know...silly question, but I had to ask.)
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
I have an Ez-Reader 6 inch that I just bought. When I plug it in to a USB port on my computer (running Puppy Linux 4.2.1), PMounter does not see either the SD card or the internal memory, so I can't mount them.

I can access the SD card just fine by removing it from the EZ-Reader and using an SD card reader so I can load and re-arrange files on the SD card, but I have no way to get to the internal memory..

Any ideas?
Did you see the Connect message (And press OK) when you Plugged in the attached USB cable attached to the EZReader?

Be certain the cable is properly seated at the EZReader end.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Ducky is right!

Quote:

Any ideas?
Dear Woodlark:

Welcome. I work for Astak; but am not a tech. However, I do care to make you happy!

Yes, The Ducks is right! The first thing to do is to check to be sure the USB is seated properly into your EZ Reader 6 inch. That spot on the bottom for the USB is nice as it is out of the way... but it can be a bear to seat the USB cable.

We suggest plugging the USB into the computer first and THEN connecting to the EZ Reader 6 inch. Somehow this works often.

Rarely, the USB cable can be less than optimum. If you have another USB cable lying around, try it please!

You are always welcome to email to: www.support@astak.com or phone:
1-866-368-8788 and talk to a tech!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
WoodLark
WoodLark began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ Reader 6"
I'm still not entirely sure what is happening here, but following some of your suggestions, I am able to connect now (although it sometimes disconnects spontaneously). Using a different USB cable and connecting directly to a USB port on the computer instead of through a (powered) USB hub seems to help. Interestingly, when I can't connect, the EZ-Reader goes into the charging mode so there is obviously some physical connection to the computer.
WoodLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I'm still not entirely sure what is happening here, but following some of your suggestions, I am able to connect now (although it sometimes disconnects spontaneously). Using a different USB cable and connecting directly to a USB port on the computer instead of through a (powered) USB hub seems to help. Interestingly, when I can't connect, the EZ-Reader goes into the charging mode so there is obviously some physical connection to the computer.
Only charging mode?
Meaning there was only the Battery with a lightning bolt and LED sequence, Not the "Connect: Press OK" or "Connected" Screen.

Direct port is best USB hubs are notorious for being way under-powered
(each port can be 1/2Amp. 4 ports says the external Power unit must be 2.0A to supply 4 ports fully)

Check for lint in the mini USB port which may allow power contact, but not all the signals.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
chiachao
chiachao began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
USB problem on Vista too

I just got a brand new Pocket Pro this week. When I plug in the USB cable to connect with my Vista PC, the PC says USB device not recognized.

I tried 2 different Vista PCs, 3 different USB cables and multiple USB ports, and none worked.

Is there any other thing that I can try?
chiachao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
I can think of one thing. The USB port on my PP is the tightest I have had to deal with yet. Make sure the plug is in properly.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote