Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kindle 2 Internals

Want to see how to get into your K2? Have a look at the first link that describes the internals of the K2 and then the second link that show you how to get in with photos.

As it turns out, the battery is not easily user replacable.

Quote:
Another interesting fact is that you can get to the Kindle 2’s battery (not very easily though) and it’s a Model No. S11S01A, 3.7 V, 1530 mAh lithium polymer battery. This is the same capacity as Kindle 1’s battery. However, that was a model BA1001 - so it probably wouldn’t work. Model No. S11S01A doesn’t show up on either Google or Amazon.
http://ireaderreview.com/2009/02/24/...indle-20-news/

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/Kindle-2/624/1
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
Red Stapler
Curmudgeon
Red Stapler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
It does look a little challenging, but having taken apart numerous laptops and a couple of iPods at work, I think it's probably easier than it looks in those pictures. Most cases like that have catches that will pop apart when CAREFULLY pried the right way. From the searches I've done, it looks like the Sony uses similar case latches, but the Kindle's metal backplate looks like a pain to keep from scratching or bending. From the take apart photos elsewhere on this site, the Sony does look easier to get into.

Nice pictorials on those sites though, iFixit has always been a good source of take apart info. And those plastic take apart tools like they show are really helpful, for other electronics take aparts as well.
Red Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Want to see how to get into your K2? Have a look at the first link that describes the internals of the K2 and then the second link that show you how to get in with photos.

As it turns out, the battery is not easily user replacable.

http://ireaderreview.com/2009/02/24/...indle-20-news/

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/Kindle-2/624/1
I would imagine that that voids the warranty...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I would imagine that that voids the warranty...
I figure by the time the K2 is out of warranty, some company will be selling replacement batteries.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
radiationman
Connoisseur
radiationman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I figure by the time the K2 is out of warranty, some company will be selling replacement batteries.
You mean like Apple does with iPod batteries?

Oh wait that's right...
radiationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Looks much easier than I had expected .... but as mentioned someone needs to sell the battery. I wonder if Amazon will
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Looks much easier than I had expected .... but as mentioned someone needs to sell the battery. I wonder if Amazon will
No, it seems clear that Amazon won't sell the battery directly to users (though they'll replace it for you).

Yes, I would guess that someone will sell these batteries.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
This is a duplicate thread. I'm closing it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
This is a duplicate thread. I'm closing it.
Opened it again.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Whack!

Damned moles.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:45 AM   #11
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
C'mon Rat Shack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
No, it seems clear that Amazon won't sell the battery directly to users (though they'll replace it for you).

Yes, I would guess that someone will sell these batteries.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The K2 has not been available long enough yet for anyone else to make a 3rd party battery for it yet. I'd wait till the first shipment is just about to have the warranty expire before looking for the battery.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:13 PM   #13
radiationman
Connoisseur
radiationman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
That's my question... I mean it's nice to be able to remove the battery but is it really necessary?

The warranty's good for a year - if the battery fails in the first year Amazon should replace it. Odds are we'll see a Kindle3 18 to 24 months from now - by then will folks with bad batteries really care about getting the battery replaced or just decide to get the Kindle3? Given the number of K1 owners who upgraded to the K2 and I'd bet that the majority of folks are just going to replace their K2 when the battery goes out instead of bothering with getting a new battery...
radiationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #14
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
The part in the ifixit article that caught my attention was "Even with the battery completely removed, the screen displays a crystal clear image."

And then there was "Thanks to the magic of E-Ink, the Kindle comes with setup instructions displayed on the screen itself. No plugging in is required." Sort of puts the lie to the requirement to turn off your electronic devices, even if they have a "flight safe setting". I would bet that these things are being transported in airplanes, not just in trucks!
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:31 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But, if you go to sell a Kindle with a bad battery, you'll find that that what you get for it won't be all that much.