Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
magnetik
magnetik began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Can't SSH Into Kindle Touch

Hi, I just received a Kindle Touch as a gift.

I would like to ssh into the device.

I followed instructions to enable USBnet, and I am able to ping the Kindle Touch.

However, when I try to ssh I get "connection refused".

Was this disabled in the latest firmware or something?
magnetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
timelysarcasm
Warrior Princess
timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetik View Post

I followed instructions to enable USBnet, and I am able to ping the Kindle Touch.

Having the same problem, would love some help on it. I'm using a mac, and when I use terminal, I get "connection refused" every time. Or this:

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@
@ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that the RSA host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host is
05:cd:09:0b:9c:00:61:d0:19:c7:1b:27:12:2f:e8:db.
Please contact your system administrator.
Add correct host key in /Users/Dani/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending key in /Users/Dani/.ssh/known_hosts:1
RSA host key for 192.168.15.244 has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed.
firstname-lastname-MacBook-Pro:~ Dani$
timelysarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
You can get that RSA Key warning when you have the same IP address defined for different devices. A kindle touch using SSH in diags mode looks like a different device from when it is booted in main mode (using simple USBnet).

Your authentication failure is happening in your host PC. The error messages says what you need to do. You need to edit /Users/Dani/.ssh/known_hosts like it says. You will need to do that each time you try to connect from a different device or bootmode that uses this IP address, or do a more permanent solution.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
timelysarcasm
Warrior Princess
timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You can get that RSA Key warning when you have the same IP address defined for different devices. A kindle touch using SSH in diags mode looks like a different device from when it is booted in main mode (using simple USBnet).

Your authentication failure is happening in your host PC. The error messages says what you need to do. You need to edit /Users/Dani/.ssh/known_hosts like it says. You will need to do that each time you try to connect from a different device or bootmode that uses this IP address, or do a more permanent solution.
edit: I fixed my problem by opening the known_hosts file and deleting everything listed, then saving it. Thanks for the help geekmaster, good luck magnetik.

Last edited by timelysarcasm; 05-14-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelysarcasm View Post
Thanks for your help, and apologies, I'm not sure how to modify "/Users/Dani/.ssh/known_hosts" - am I just pasting the IP? What would be a more permanent solution?
If you never had to deal with this file before, it's probably easiest to simply delete it. (Yes, I'm serious).

A permanent solution is to make the device present the same key whether booted to diags or main, by copying the dropbear key files from the diags partition to the main partition, or vice versa.

If this is happening not because you're connecting to a single device in different modes, but indeed to different devices, then synchronize the keys across the devices, or give each device a unique IP address (in addition to the above).

Quote:
The confusing thing is the kindle itself is telling me its IP address is 192.168.15.244, the device listed under network settings says it is connected with an IP of 192.168.15.201. Am I correct in trying to log in using 244?
The .201 is probably your computer. The Kindle is .244.

PS: Just before this gets out of hand (and I hope that this notice is actually not needed): please note that this is the "Kindle developer's corner", not a "Linux newbies" forum. If you attempt to use SSH, you're supposed to know what you are doing, or to be willing to read the appropriate documentation. There are plenty of tutorials online on how to get started with the command line on Linux.

Last edited by ixtab; 05-14-2012 at 05:41 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
timelysarcasm
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
PS: Just before this gets out of hand (and I hope that this notice is actually not needed): please note that this is the "Kindle developer's corner", not a "Linux newbies" forum. If you attempt to use SSH, you're supposed to know what you are doing, or to be willing to read the appropriate documentation. There are plenty of tutorials online on how to get started with the command line on Linux.
I'm using Terminal on a mac, and I've done this particular hack before. I remember running into this problem and fixing it, I just didn't remember what I did. I realize asking questions sets you up for the "newbies" thing, but I can handle SSH-ing, I just figured someone might be able to notice the problem and give me a quick fix, rather than googling myself into a headache for the next four hours.

I know for sure I never had to deal with editing a known hosts file. Regardless, I figured it out on my own. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
I'm using Terminal on a mac, and I've done this particular hack before. I remember running into this problem and fixing it, I just didn't remember what I did. I realize asking questions sets you up for the "newbies" thing, but I can handle SSH-ing, I just figured someone might be able to notice the problem and give me a quick fix, rather than googling myself into a headache for the next four hours.

I know for sure I never had to deal with editing a known hosts file. Regardless, I figured it out on my own. Thanks.
This is Linux (or mac or any other *nix) -
The man(ual) command is your friend - use it.
I.E:
man ssh
Plus there will be a list of "see also" with the manual section numbers. Use "man" on those also.

If you don't have a *nix installation - enter the same into a google search box - google knows where to find every page of the *nix manuals.

P.S: If your on a Mac - then you at the home of OpenSSH (OpenSSH is a BSD project app. - just ported to everything else in the world).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
edit: I fixed my problem by opening the known_hosts file and deleting everything listed, then saving it. Thanks for the help geekmaster, good luck magnetik.
Except your problem will return again and again (if using mulitple kindles with that same IP address).

Although generally recognized as UNSAFE, here is how I fixed that little problem on my host PC:

user@mint745 ~/.ssh $ cat config
Host 192.168.15.*
IdentityFile ~/.ssh/keypair1-openssh
IdentityFile ~/.ssh/keypair2-openssh
User root
StrictHostKeyChecking no
UserKnownHostsFile /dev/null <== notice this line here!
user@mint745 ~/.ssh $

By redirecting to /dev/null, the file contents will stay deleted.

Don't do this at home, folks!

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-14-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
magnetik
magnetik began at the beginning.

What else can I try to diagnose my issue?
It's not the known_hosts file.

I can ping the kindle, but it seems like sshd is not running on the device.
magnetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #10
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Hmmm... You're the first person to report this issue, at least from what I am aware of. I suggest to try the "Windows way", i.e., to uninstall and reinstall usbnetwork, you never know...

If that doesn't help, dump the log after booting by using the ;dm shortcut and see if there is any usable hint.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:

Try nmap on the whole, 3 octet, sub-net, post the report.
nmap xxx.yyy.zzz.000/24

What you are looking for in the report is an open port number 22.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #12
geekmaster

Quote:

HOW did you enable USBnet? There are multiple instructions posted at this forum, some of which may be obsolete for your device. Perhaps you need to use different instructions.

Q1) Did you install the "simple USBnet" hack?

Q2) Did you install "mmcblk0p2_ssh" (diags with SSH pre-installed)?

Q3) Is your kindle booted to main or diags when you try to SSH in?

Q4) How did you "enable" USBnet?

We do not have enough information to help you. Please provide answers for the questions above so that we CAN help you. Thanks.

EDIT: There are reports that the latest OTA 5.1.0 firmware update from amazon DELETES the dropbear files needed for sshd when you reboot your kindle. Perhaps that is your problem. We may need a hack that keeps dropbear on the USB drive, like the K3 usbnetwork hack.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-15-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:23 AM   #13
miwi
miwi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.1.2
I had this problem. I installed the launcher before installing simple_usbnet_1.1.zip. I didn't need to uninstall the launcher first or anything like that.

Last edited by miwi; 08-29-2012 at 03:30 AM.
miwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #14
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:

Okay So further to this. On my device I had to binary remove the rm call as noted here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=113
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #15
askak
Enthusiast
askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Hi,
I had a hard time connecting ssh, my error was something similar, time out connection fail port 20, I can't recall exactly now, but I searched the forum and lot of peaple had it. I also remember reading what geekmaster recomends you.
Well it may sound idiotic, but I finally made it, unplugin and pluging again the usb cable of the kindle to the pc. Really.
askak is offline   Reply With Quote