Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 12-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #16
ccccclark
ccccclark began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks for all the help everyone. I think I have a fairly good grasp now of where to find books and how it all works. This saved a lot of time for me because there are so many threads on this forum and it would take a long time to sift through all of them. I am a software developer and all this was confusing for me. You really helped clarify.

It looks like the EZ Reader will work great for me. I have gotten rid of most of my hard-copy library to free up space in my home and I was hoping to go mostly digital, except for military history magazines or larger picture books. It looks like I will mostly be able to achieve this goal.

One thing I have noticed though is that I do read mostly non-fiction history and there appears to be a dearth for the Mobipocket format. For example, I found Antony Beevor's book on the Spanish Civil War that I have yet to read, but was unable to find his very excellent book on Stalingrad.

I expect this will correct itself as E Books become more popular. I would very much like to have access to either Sony's or Amazon's catalog, but I did not want to get stuck into their very specific DRM formats. The Kindle looks terrible and Sony eliminated their online music store, so I don't trust them with their e-book store.

Once again, thanks everyone, have a Happy Holidays and go read some books!
ccccclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:36 PM   #17
BooksOnBoard
BooksOnBoard began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hi ccccclark,

A previous poster mentioned BooksOnBoard as a source for MobiPocket eBooks. This post is meant to answer any questions about buying BooksOnBoard's MobiPocket eBooks for your EZ Reader.

1) Both the DRM and the non-DRM MobiPocket format eBooks from BooksOnBoard can be read on the Halin V3 devices including the EZ Reader and the BeBook.

2) Another question we have seen is about the difference between the MobiPocket (PX) and MobiPocket (OD) label on the BooksOnBoard website.

BooksOnBoard carries MobiPocket eBooks from two distribution sources. The (PX) and (OD) label on our MobiPocket eBooks represent our two distribution sources for MobiPocket eBooks. We offer both so that we can provide more selection of MobiPocket eBooks and as back-up for our customers in the event of any temporary server problems at one of the distributors. Some books are only available from one of the two distributors.

The only difference for the customer is this requires our customers to register their PIDs under BOTH distributors (OD and PX) in their BooksOnBoard account's MobiPocket Device Controls. A tutorial on registering your PIDs can be found here: http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?BODY=tutorial_view&TUT_ID=13

3) If you want to read your MobiPocket eBooks on your computer as well, MobiPocket Reader Desktop software is available for Windows users only. While Macintosh users cannot download the MobiPocket Reader software to their computers, they CAN download any of our MobiPocket eBooks to their computer and then transfer the file to their BeBook through the USB connection.

MobiPocket software does not have to be on your computer in order to download the MobiPocket eBook file, the software only has to be on any device or computer on which you want to read the eBook. DRM copyrighted MobiPocket eBooks will be encrypted at download to be readable on only the devices whose PIDs are currently registered under your MobiPocket Device Controls. If you have any other computers or devices besides the BeBook on which you will be reading MobiPocket eBooks, make sure to also register their PIDs before you download your eBook. If you forget to register a PID, you can always add it later and then re-download your eBook from your account's Bookshelf.

For more information on MobiPocket eBooks, click the "MobiPocket Format eBooks" link on our help page: http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?BODY=help

Our customer support is also available to answer any questions seven days a week at support@booksonboard.com

Happy Reading!

Sincerely,

The BooksOnBoard Support Team
BooksOnBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #18
ccccclark
ccccclark began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks for the BooksOnBoard advice. I was planning on ordering a couple of books this weekend.
ccccclark is offline   Reply With Quote