Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #1
Philosopher
Connoisseur
Philosopher began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Lightbulb Possible Tweak: Allow more than one copy of same format (different file)

I often have several of the same book - but not just in different formats (as we can now MERGE into one file).

But I also have three other TYPES of "duplicate" books (same book - but not same file - but in same file format (i.e. more than one (different file) PDF version of the same book).

The two times this is common in my libraries are: (1) When I ANNOTATE a book - and want to retain an ORIGINAL copy - while also having an ANNOTATED copy; (2) When I have a PDF that has not been OCR'ed and one that has been; (3) When I have two different QUALITY (and thus in particular size) versions of the same book - but want to keep all.

Right now - what I have to do is to have the same book (same edition, etc.) - but with more than one RECORD for it.

I'd like to be able to MERGE all those files for the same ("book" [not identical file]) including more than one of the same format (again i.e. two or three PDF versions).

And to be able to also IDENTIFY what the different PDF (or also I have this with KINDLE files - i.e. an un-highlighted original - and a highlighted version) file is characterized as (such as in those above: So it could indicate PDF-image only, PDF-OCR, PDF-Annotated (or even PDF-Annoted Ver. 2, etc.).

Would that be possible to consider building into a future update?
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:54 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I doubt it, but BetterRed can describe a personal system that uses the Author Link and links in the commments to track ancillary data. Hopefully that would work as a suitable alternative.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Or zip all extra files and add the zip. A little bit cumbersome, but it sounds as you wouldn't want normally use the extra books but store a safty of the original file.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #4
Philosopher
Connoisseur

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I doubt it, but BetterRed can describe a personal system that uses the Author Link and links in the commments to track ancillary data. Hopefully that would work as a suitable alternative.
Thanks - will check that out.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:19 PM   #5
Philosopher
Connoisseur

Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
Or zip all extra files and add the zip. A little bit cumbersome, but it sounds as you wouldn't want normally use the extra books but store a safty of the original file.
Hadn't thought about that. That would indeed be a good way to keep the "original."

I will use that from now on - with that subset.

But the other side of the issue was the ANNOTATIONS. (Which I often have more than one - for different purposes [reading a book for research on different topics for example] - and that would not work as well (although I could at least store them there for now - and update the zip over time). But it would not allow me to easily open the different annotated version - either to read or to continue to work with - and then save it - so that it stays as ever in the same record.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:55 PM   #6
Philosopher
Connoisseur

Could I save the original - with a .BAK extension - and have that appear in the Calibre database?
Old 03-23-2015, 01:15 PM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosopher View Post
Could I save the original - with a .BAK extension - and have that appear in the Calibre database?
Yes - Calibre allows any mix of extensions as long as there is not more than one of any particular extension.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Yep - but only one BAK.

I've been through a few solutions to these issues - adding 7z archives to book folders, using non standard file types (PDF2, EPUB2 etc), using links to supplementary folders, my current scheme uses a mixture of Evernote (EN), OneNote (ON) and supplementary folders.

This may be of interest ==>> Calibre and Evernote (EN)

I write 'book notes' in Unfiled ON files (.ONE) that I keep within the library book folders (one .ONE per book as necessary), these tend to be transient with a limited life - checklists, short term reminders, etc.

All of my Authors have EN notes but most books don't. The EN notes are 'permanent', the calibre connections are via evernote:///view links in the Author Link field and Book Notes (Comments like custom column).

For some authors and books I also keep 'supplementary folders' where I keep things that I can't shoehorn into the library or the EN note, e.g author interview MP3s etc, or same book in another language, different illustrator, translator, whatever. I put the link to the supplementary folder in the EN note.

For authors I also have a link in their EN note to their 'page' on calibre-server.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-23-2015 at 03:55 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:35 PM   #9
Philosopher
Connoisseur

Thanks so much Red (and all).

So the .BAK will work. I will start implementing that for the base original file.

But the Evernote use - which I have become ever more using - is an interesting idea. I will give that a try. Same with OneNote. That I think will be a great way to approximate what I am describing.

I also never thought about a LINK in the DESCRIPTION to a FOLDER for that author/book - for supplemental materials. I think I will experiment with that as well. I could also do - as you are - by placing a link to this SUPPLEMENTAL folder in EN. But think that this one in the description would also be a possible good approach - as its direct from Calibre (one step) rather than via EN as a "middle" third. Perhaps you might find that something of interest.

Thanks again. This was VERY helpful (and I am now filled with optimism for at least ONE thing today ).
Old 04-01-2015, 10:48 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Thanks so much Red (and all).

So the .BAK will work. I will start implementing that for the base original file.

But the Evernote use - which I have become ever more using - is an interesting idea. I will give that a try. Same with OneNote. That I think will be a great way to approximate what I am describing.

I also never thought about a LINK in the DESCRIPTION to a FOLDER for that author/book - for supplemental materials. I think I will experiment with that as well. I could also do - as you are - by placing a link to this SUPPLEMENTAL folder in EN. But think that this one in the description would also be a possible good approach - as its direct from Calibre (one step) rather than via EN as a "middle" third. Perhaps you might find that something of interest.

Thanks again. This was VERY helpful (and I am now filled with optimism for at least ONE thing today ).
At one stage I had links to folders in Manage Authors and some books.

But a couple of months ago I had a moment, realising that for 80% of authors their supplementary folders typically contained a handful of url and small text files. Putting urls and text in an EN note much is 'neater' and more flexible. Performance wise, assuming EN loaded, its just as fast as a file manager window and its orders of magnitude more functional - and where I want a folder then I put a link in EN.

The other advantage is that I can get at the notes on my tablet and phone. I record voice notes into EN as I'm reading a book, I deal with the voice notes at the desktop.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:48 PM   #11
tarapup
tarapup began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung tablet w/ kindle, Gbooks, others
I know the thread is old but in case someone else ends up here too.

Rather than a zip file or another complicated work around I decided to simply do the following.
1. Import the main part of the book.
2. right click on the book and select "Open containing Folder"
3. Copy all extra files to the books directory.
4. Add a note to the description that there are supplementary materials, at whatever level of detail I deem appropriate for the book.

The files are with the book, and I only need to open the containing folder to get to them.

I use Cloud storage to get the files to other devices and the supplementary files go as well.
tarapup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multi-format, tweak, update