Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-26-2008, 12:40 PM   #46
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
When I first visited the US, many years ago, I was completely baffled by this coin that just said "ONE DIME" on it. Nowhere does it tell you what this mysterious "Dime" is actually worth in terms of cents.
Dime derives from Latin decima (pars), meaning "a tenth."

A bit obscure too... if you don't know "dime" is 1/10 of a dollar.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #47
Jaie
Connoisseur
Jaie began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook, Aspire One Netbook (UMPC)
I'm a weird American. I don't use cash at all. All my money is on a debit (not credit) card and I never carry more than $20 in cash and almost never any change. And I spend most of my summers in the Toronto area and what I notice isn't the coins, it's the habit I've picked up myself. Most don't even carry cash, they use a debit card. I've got a credit union as well, and while they don't charge to take coins, they won't take them at the counters. You dump them into a nice little machine that counts it and gives you a slip.

Want to really solve issue of not using paper money, use a debit card. NOT a credit card. Those things are just asking for trouble.
Jaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:21 PM   #48
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaie View Post
I'm a weird American. I don't use cash at all. All my money is on a debit (not credit) card and I never carry more than $20 in cash and almost never any change. And I spend most of my summers in the Toronto area and what I notice isn't the coins, it's the habit I've picked up myself. Most don't even carry cash, they use a debit card. I've got a credit union as well, and while they don't charge to take coins, they won't take them at the counters. You dump them into a nice little machine that counts it and gives you a slip.

Want to really solve issue of not using paper money, use a debit card. NOT a credit card. Those things are just asking for trouble.
I agree.......I love debit cards. As long as you are meticulous in recording what you use them for each day, you always know where you are.
I know someone who refuses to use their check register. Claims she can always see where she is online........true, except that sometimes she doesn't have internet access, and sometimes, hair salons and restaurants will put a temp higher charge than the actual charge until the debit clears which can be up to 4 business days. When her account is very low, which is often, this can make the difference between a balanced account and overdraft. Then she blames the bank.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:16 PM   #49
Rimka
Rimka began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:

Actually, the truth is that credit can be a much more powerful tool as long as you use it responsibly. If you use credit like debit (Pay it off once you get home) you have the power to do a chargeback, if need be. Also, some cards like AmEx (I believe) will extend the manufacturer's warranty.

Remember, Credit doesn't ask for trouble - stupid people who don't know/are irresponsible with credit ask for trouble.
Rimka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:21 PM   #50
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't use cash at all. All my money is on a debit (not credit) card and I never carry more than $20 in cash and almost never any change.
I don't think that is weird at all. I do the exact same thing. However, I use a credit card for all purchases. I am protected from credit card fraud, get buyer protection, I get cash back and I get a partner to help me if I have trouble getting my money back. The balance is paid of each month through an automatic payment from my checking account.

BOb
Old 10-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #51
Jaie
Connoisseur
Jaie began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook, Aspire One Netbook (UMPC)
I use just the debit (or a pre paid debit online) it's not a security thing for me, I spend enough online and using online buying that it's kind of pointless to worry about my info. I don't care for credit cards mainly because the interest rates are so high, and if you haven't got the most fantastic credit score, like mine, then the debit works better. As for not knowing how much etc, I can almost always get internet or at least use my cell phone to check my balances on either card. My whole thing is I'm an odd female who hates purses. Why carry a purse when it takes up much needed gadget space in my pockets and backpack? Or worse, heavy change?

I do agree credit, if used well, is a powerful tool. But the facts are, that those of us who don't have bad credit, still get turned down for decent cards. And the last one offered had around 19% interest so I figured I'd pass
Jaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:05 PM   #52
Rimka
Rimka began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:

I do agree credit, if used well, is a powerful tool. But the facts are, that those of us who don't have bad credit, still get turned down for decent cards. And the last one offered had around 19% interest so I figured I'd pass
I do see what you're saying and I agree that yes, those interest rates can be KILLER. I try to avoid this by paying off anything I charge ASAP. You do make a good point though, Jaie.

But getting back on topic back when I had Wachovia anytime I used my debit card I would get an entire dollar put into a special higher-yield (though that still can't touch my current 2.75% ING) savings account. That was one thing I loved about Wachovia, much better then BofA's keep the change program.
Rimka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:24 AM   #53
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimka View Post
But getting back on topic back when I had Wachovia anytime I used my debit card I would get an entire dollar put into a special higher-yield (though that still can't touch my current 2.75% ING) savings account. That was one thing I loved about Wachovia, much better then BofA's keep the change program.
This is actually what I do right now with Wachovia. All the change I just turned in was basically from last year when I used cash much more. But since I started the Way 2 Save thing with Wachovia I've almost entirely used my debit card. It'll be quite a while before I have such an accumulation of change again....of course, we'll see what happens when Wells Fargo takes over Wachovia.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:33 AM   #54
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't care for credit cards mainly because the interest rates are so high, and if you haven't got the most fantastic credit score, like mine, then the debit works better.
On most cards if you pay the full balance there is no interest charge. That is what I do. I don't carry a balance on any of my cards. My policy is, if I can't afford it, I don't get it. (Excepting cars and houses and even there I try to get the shortest term possible.)

But, whatever works for you. I agree cash is a hassle. I don't like places that don't accept the card.

BOb
Old 10-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #55
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't think that is weird at all. I do the exact same thing. However, I use a credit card for all purchases. I am protected from credit card fraud, get buyer protection, I get cash back and I get a partner to help me if I have trouble getting my money back. The balance is paid of each month through an automatic payment from my checking account.

BOb
That's what I do. I get rewards points on every purchase. I even have some of my bills paid automatically with it. I pay it off every month before the finance charges hit. I so very rarely use cash, it took years to get $175 in change. My husband, while very indulgent with me, rarely spends on himself so I used it as a way to convince him to let me get him a Kindle. He'd tried mine and really liked it. Luckily my rewards points can be traded for Amazon credit so I'm going to use that and the Oprah coupon to convince my sister that the one I'm getting her is free. She's got horrible tendinitis and issues with her hands and can't work right now but she loves to read. She'd feel bad if I just bought her one but if I use points to buy it that's an easier sell.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote