Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
MdB
Advocate/Initiate
MdB doesn't litterMdB doesn't litter

Device: Undecided
PRS 505 or wait?

Good afternoon all. Long time lurker and big fan of a lot of the advice and recommendations that I have seen come and go on this site, just wanted ask a quick bit of advice.

I've decided to make a purchase, and am leaning much towards the Sony end of the spectrum, as wireless means little to me, and, I must admit, I'm kind of a sucker for a brand I'm familiar with, but I don't believe that the touch-screen of light of the new 700 seem worth it for the extra $100. My questions is this:

Do you think it's worth picking up a PRS 505 right now, or would you anticipate a price-drop / rebate to go into effect with the new 700 coming out 11/14. My gut feeling is no, as they are at two different price points, but just wanted to see what you guys thought. I certainly appreciate any assistance on making the decision. And thanks again to all of you long-time contributors for all your collective wisdom. I'm constantly sifting through your reading recommendations looking for more hidden treasures.

MdB.
MdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MdB View Post
Do you think it's worth picking up a PRS 505 right now, or would you anticipate a price-drop / rebate to go into effect with the new 700 coming out 11/14. My gut feeling is no, as they are at two different price points, but just wanted to see what you guys thought.

I agree. These are two separate products that will both continue to sell. So, I don't anticipate any type of price drop on the 505.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
MdB
Advocate/Initiate

Thanks for the swift reply Bob. I'd just hate to purchase today to find out that, in three weeks, I could have had the same for cheaper. Then again...that's kind of the nature of new tech...gotta buy sometime, I suppose.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MdB View Post
Thanks for the swift reply Bob. I'd just hate to purchase today to find out that, in three weeks, I could have had the same for cheaper. Then again...that's kind of the nature of new tech...gotta buy sometime, I suppose.
Yep... it happens all the time. You could wait a month and then buy and it could happen.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:16 AM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'm in agreement--price probably won't drop. Key word is probably--but if you keep waiting, you'll never have a gadget to enjoy.

Last July, I bought a 16 gb iPod Touch. Just 4 weeks after I purchased it, Apple came out with the new second gen. Touches. The new ones were $100 cheaper and had a few more bells and whistles--including quite a bit longer battery life. I was somewhat disappointed, but I'm still enjoying my Touch.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:49 AM   #6
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
From the looks of it there probably won't be a rebate, but I'm thinking there might be some price cuts from retailers as we get closer to the holidays.

Still, Dell's got a decent price right now, at $260 so you could find it a little cjheaper elsewhere if you look.

More prices -
Sams club has got it down to $255 & Wall mart's at $267

Last edited by bbusybookworm; 10-21-2008 at 04:53 AM. Reason: More prices
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
MdB
Advocate/Initiate

Thanks for the advice bookworm - I will check out both places soon. Appreciate all the info guys.

MdB.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:56 PM   #8
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
ebay sometimes goes downto 230 for second hand,and demo models,shipping included.
I'm in the same position as you.
Yet I had no luck so far on ebay.
I see bids going in front of me for 222 (+ additional shipping), but when I bid they go up to 265

I've told my wife (who prefers me to wait), that I would,until the 700 comes out,and then decide.
Touchscreen is nice, and leds are ok, but not worth the extra $100 for me.
However some user said the screen refresh rate of the 700 is even faster than the 505.

Before I make my decision, I want to see if the 700's refresh rate is a lot faster or not (for anime pdf,and books), and I want to see about the battery life as well.
Should the display indeed flip pages faster than the 505, and despite it's touchscreen not use a lot more energy, I would definitely go for the 700!

So my main concern is the batterylife.

Apart from that, if you're familiar with ebay, you might want to buy a 505, have it 3 weeks earlier than a 700, and resell the 505 after a month or two with little loss,if you really find the 700 to have properties you miss on the 505.

Last edited by ProDigit; 10-22-2008 at 12:00 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote