Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-16-2007, 05:27 PM   #1
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Here I am

MobileRead insists that I introduce myself, so here I am. I don't currently own an e-reader (not counting my laptop and desktop) but after months of looking and wishing and researching, I asked my wife for the Sony Reader PRS505 for Christmas.

I don't/haven't downloaded/bought an e-book yet because I don't want to read one on my computer. I spend 6+ hours everyday reading manuscript on my computer (I'm a book editor and have been for 25 years now), and have no desire to do my pleasure reading on my laptop or desktop -- I just want to get away from my computers

What I like to do is relax in my library in my Lazboy recliner. We built a room just for me and my books. I buy several new books -- all hardcover, no paperbacks -- every week, usually at my local Barnes & Noble. I am a book collector, so I also buy first editions online. I do not expect the Sony Reader to replace my purchases; rather, there are many books that I do not want for my collection but that I do want to read, and I plan to use my Sony for that.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:46 PM   #2
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Welcome, I'm sure you'll be very happy with your Sony PRS505 and I look forward to hearing how you like the experience. I understand where you're coming from. I work on a computer all day and have no desire to do my pleasure reading on one.

After reading on my Cybook for the last 6 weeks I've come to the sad realization that I'm very unlikely to read the 14 paper books that I have in my "to be read queue". I guess I wasted my money on them because I've been wondering which ones I'll have to purchase again in electronic form.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:53 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Happy Holidays Richard
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:12 AM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the welcome

Thank you all for the warm welcome. It is appreciated.

Rich
Old 12-21-2007, 09:21 AM   #6
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
Welcome, I'm sure you'll be very happy with your Sony PRS505 and I look forward to hearing how you like the experience.
Here's hoping I actually get it. If not, I'll have to buy it for myself. One of the things I find interesting about the Sony is that even the usual discount places like Circuit City and Best Buy are selling it for the full retail price -- the same price as from Sony. I think Sony (and the other ebook readers) miss the boat with uniform pricing. Buyers get caught up in the discount wars and more units of HDTVs and DVD players and the like have sold because of the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
After reading on my Cybook for the last 6 weeks I've come to the sad realization that I'm very unlikely to read the 14 paper books that I have in my "to be read queue". I guess I wasted my money on them because I've been wondering which ones I'll have to purchase again in electronic form.
I'm planning to use my Sony to read those books that I would like to try but am unwilling to spend $20 or more for the hardcover version until I am sure I really want to add the book to my library and those books from years ago that I buy in collectible form but don't want to read for fear of damaging them and thus decreasing their value. An example of the latter is Sinclair Lewis' "It Can't Happen Here." I bought a pristine first edition for several hundred dollars and bought the paperback for $6. The first edition sits untouched in my collection and I read the paperback. (BTW, highly recommend the book.)

I will consider purchases for the Sony as toss aways; that is, if I either don't read what I have bought or started it and discovered I don't like it, I can toss it away without angst over how much I have spent.

Rich