Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 01:41 AM   #1
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Kobo VP recognizes Calibre team.

Great job guys. In a recent blog comment, a Kobo VP stated:

"Thanks especially to the Calibre folks for doing such a nice job on the Kobo eReader driver!"

The article is specific to issues with the Kobo firmware and an upcoming update,
however, for those interested, the full article can be read here http://bit.ly/cCqc3W.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Nice of them to compliment Kobo (can't really tell what they said, I don't follow re-direct links...)
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I don't follow re-direct links...
For security reasons?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I don't either. Security, and RickRolling.

Seriously, why do people persist in using those on this forum? This is not Twitter, guys. You can use a URL as long as it needs to be. Since there's no valid reason to obfuscate it, my natural reaction is that there's something in that URL that someone doesn't want me to recognize before I go there. So I stay away.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I did post this link elsewhere and was using the same link for all cases. Seriously, you can put your foil hats away. The full URL is http://www.teleread.com/2010/06/17/k...ereads-joanna/

It is also posted in the Kobo section on Mobileread if you are afraid of leaving the comfort of this site. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87406

BTW, many browsers have URL expanders which will show you the full link when you mouse over a shortened link. I haven't found one that is perfect, but it works well enough to validate the target.

Last edited by RedRoverJ; 06-18-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Cool
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
It's less a matter of tinfoil hats and more a matter of the number of times I've been redirected to that #@$W#$% video!!!!
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
RedRoverJ
Zealot

FYI, browsers that allow add-ons/extension usually have a url expander available. I am using Google Chrome with ChomeMUSE. Using that I can instantly see the actual URL a shortened link is redirecting too.

Barring that, you can just visit longurl.org in any browser and copy/paste the shortened URL to see where it is pointing.

I am not fond of clicking on shortened URLs either, but with the right tools it doesn't have to be scary.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Seriously, why do people persist in using those on this forum? This is not Twitter, guys. You can use a URL as long as it needs to be. Since there's no valid reason to obfuscate it, my natural reaction is that there's something in that URL that someone doesn't want me to recognize before I go there. So I stay away.
Seriously, you can put your foil hats away.
It has nothing to do with foil hats and to say that is insulting to those who raised concerns.

Quote:
I am not fond of clicking on shortened URLs either, but with the right tools it doesn't have to be scary.
The use of alternate tools is fine and dandy but when you are on a familiar site that allows normal links there is absolutely no reason to go out of your way to obfuscate the link. Doing so is just not polite.

[backontopic]Kudos to Kovid and company for the proper recognition of excellent work.[/backontopic]

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-18-2010 at 07:03 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
The proper recognition would probably be a donation. A big, fat one.

cap
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #11
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Seriously, you can put your foil hats away.
After spending way too much time rebuilding my computer - three times - between December and March because of a very stubborn Trojan, I'm willing to be a little paranoid.

Insult me if you want. I tried to phrase it in a way that wasn't accusatory. But I don't want to have to rebuild my computer again because a tinyURL took me somewhere I didn't expect.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:00 PM   #12
RedRoverJ
Zealot

My apologies to all who took offense to my earlier post, it was only meant in jest.

Had I expected any negative response, I would not have used a shortened URL. However, I had also posted this shortened URL to Twitter and continued to use it here. It seriously wasn't meant to obfuscate the real target. If anything, I simply didn't consider the fact that some people do not follow them. My bad, and for that I apologize.

However, I do feel that the fear of shortened URLs is mostly baseless. I have never gotten a virus, or anything else undesirable, from following shortened URLs as I have the tools to mitigate the risks.