Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 12:10 AM   #316
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
There is no color variation and it actually looks better in person than the picture (other than the shadows).
Maybe it is a jpeg or other artifact, but I see color variation in those photos, similar to what I have been seeing on my own KPW screen, perhaps a little less intense. What I'm 'seeing' is, roughly, a triangle of pale magenta in the upper left corner, below that a diagonal band of pale green, and pale magenta in lower right. The brighter shot shows this more distinctly (again, to my eye).

A photo of a mostly blank page would give a better benchmark.

I think my PW screen is changing. Now (at full brightness) it has a magenta cast over almost the entire screen. There are a a couple of small patches/streaks which are neutral, and which used to appear as greenish. But maybe it is just some sort of remapping of my brain's white balance perception so that 'green' is now neutral and more of it has shifted to magenta.

This is driving me nuts. I wasn't like this before, honest!
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #317
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Here you go. The 1st picture is at 24 and the 2nd picture is at 12.

Sorry, my phone isn't taking very good pictures.
I am seeing the color variations as well, very similar to the appearance of mine but perhaps slightly less intense. That said, it's what your eyes see that matters.

Last edited by Skydog; 10-11-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 12:44 AM   #318
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Here you go. The 1st picture is at 24 and the 2nd picture is at 12.

Sorry, my phone isn't taking very good pictures.
Thank you
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #319
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Okay here is my contribution to the rogue gallery.

I think I took it with light full on, room as dark as I could make it. The one on the left is with the camera setting, the one on the right I've adjusted the exposure so it looks more 'accurate'. It is still slightly exaggerated, I would say, compared to what I see most of the time as I don't usually keep the light nearly that high.

I can deal with a little uneven lighting, but the color is distracting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00051.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	445.9 KB
ID:	93885   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00051-3.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	445.1 KB
ID:	93887  
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:55 AM   #320
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did some reading/testing with the four units that turn on, because I need to send some back tomorrow. All four units have varying degrees of color blotches. The second unit I received that had a flower shaped spot under the screen, developed colored blotches yesterday. Today, they are worse. Out of the two I received today, the 3G is the worst, mostly blue-green, with a pinkish hue that spans horizontally across the top fifth of the screen, framed by the blue-green. There is a fainter pink band close to the bottom.

Most of the other ones have a pink right hand corner, though, and blue rest of the top. Is that how yours are, or is this coincidence?
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #321
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

I think I took it with light full on, room as dark as I could make it. The one on the left is with the camera setting, the one on the right I've adjusted the exposure so it looks more 'accurate'. It is still slightly exaggerated, I would say, compared to what I see most of the time as I don't usually keep the light nearly that high.

In these pictures, it looks like you have perfect pink and blue diagonal bands with a pink LEFT corner!
Old 10-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #322
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Maybe it is a jpeg or other artifact, but I see color variation in those photos, similar to what I have been seeing on my own KPW screen, perhaps a little less intense. What I'm 'seeing' is, roughly, a triangle of pale magenta in the upper left corner, below that a diagonal band of pale green, and pale magenta in lower right. The brighter shot shows this more distinctly (again, to my eye).

A photo of a mostly blank page would give a better benchmark.

I think my PW screen is changing. Now (at full brightness) it has a magenta cast over almost the entire screen. There are a a couple of small patches/streaks which are neutral, and which used to appear as greenish. But maybe it is just some sort of remapping of my brain's white balance perception so that 'green' is now neutral and more of it has shifted to magenta.

This is driving me nuts. I wasn't like this before, honest!
That's what happened to my number 2. The colors came out of nowhere, and seem to be getting worse.
Are you getting a replacement for this one?
Old 10-11-2012, 02:19 AM   #323
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
With the problems with blue, green and pink hued screens I'm starting to wonder if they have the same problems as lamp manufacturers.

Our store sells lamps and we've noticed that with LED the hue can differ per batch (greenish, blueish, pinkish, purpleish) for the same lamp, even within a batch there can be slight differences in hue. According to the manufacturers they all should be exactly the same colour but putting them side by side it's clear that they are not.

I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon has run into the same problem. I'm not talking about the splotches but about that one screen can be green when the next is white and another is blue.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #324
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Unfortunately, on my work monitor (rather than my little laptop from which I posted last night), I can also see the color variations. Sigh. (Referring to techiegirl's photos, although I'm kind of hoping she doesn't come back and read this.)

For those who have returned, how do you prep your Kindles for return? Do you remove your personal content/de-auth the device? I'm getting ready to ship the color blob unit to Cupertino and I'm kind of nervous about leaving my pdocs on there. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Trauma Doll; 10-11-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #325
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
With the problems with blue, green and pink hued screens I'm starting to wonder if they have the same problems as lamp manufacturers.

Our store sells lamps and we've noticed that with LED the hue can differ per batch (greenish, blueish, pinkish, purpleish) for the same lamp, even within a batch there can be slight differences in hue. According to the manufacturers they all should be exactly the same colour but putting them side by side it's clear that they are not.

I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon has run into the same problem. I'm not talking about the splotches but about that one screen can be green when the next is white and another is blue.
Interesting. Can you please tell us that the LED's can change from hues to white? Please?

The light cones themselves are always white, or do they just look white, and maybe once conducted through the grid, the hue that is not noticeable otherwise could be intensified. But then why is it getting worse over time?
DO LED lights change in hue over time?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #326
xendula
eBookworm

Trauma Doll, I have to send some of mine back too. I will remove all content from it and degister the device, put it in a plastic bag, and...? Send the black boxes along or not?
Also, I did not realize that we are supposed to keep the cables (kind of neat, I love how long the Kindle cables are).
Old 10-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #327
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Trauma Doll, I have to send some of mine back too. I will remove all content from it and degister the device, put it in a plastic bag, and...? Send the black boxes along or not?
Also, I did not realize that we are supposed to keep the cables (kind of neat, I love how long the Kindle cables are).
My email says "put it in original packaging if available" but doesn't say anything about content other than to make sure you have a backup.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #328
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Compared to the other 3 that I have at home, this one is the best I've seen. I'm still disappointed this is not perfect, but we're keeping it anyway. Maybe in a few months if there is a fix in it, we can try an exchange again. At least we can live with this one. It really isn't as bad as the camera is showing.

As for the return, we deregistered it, put everything back, and put the label right on the box. I have 2 spare cables from previous Kindles and don't need another.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #329
Trauma Doll
Addict

I de-registered mine and removed all content except a few Amazon-purchased items so they have something to test quickly.

The label is next-day air, so presumably it'll be in Cupertino tomorrow.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #330
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

Those diagonal stripes are nearly identical to those on the original 3G PW I received. I had an addition partial stripe in the upper left hand corner.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote