Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-31-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Copy a Format to Desktop

Could a "Copy XXXX Format to Desktop" item be added to the right click menu on the Format entries in Book Details, where "Delete the XXXX Format" was recently added.

I often want to put a book file aside while I try different conversion settings, edit with Sigil, etc. I appreciate there are other ways to do this, but ,,,

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Could a "Copy XXXX Format to Desktop" item be added to the right click menu on the Format entries in Book Details, where "Delete the XXXX Format" was recently added.
Until things change the shortcut key s will save the selected book to disk.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

I often want to put a book file aside while I try different conversion settings, edit with Sigil, etc. I appreciate there are other ways to do this, but ,,,

BR
Save to disk will do just what you want. Granted, you may have to navigate to the desktop to do it, but it can be done fairly easily.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Until things change the shortcut key s will save the selected book to disk.
Yes, I know - it saves all the files associated with the book, wrapped up in a title folder, wrapped in an author folder, all it needs is some pink string and red sealing wax And the context menu->Save options operate in much the same way. And they each open a instance of Windows Explorer which I really don't need

I get what I want via "Click to Open" in Book Details and drag/dropping the file I want to where I want it on the desktop. But that has inherent dangers; if my Library and desktop were on the same disk then a vanilla drag/drop will move the file rather than copy it, or I might unknowingly delete one of the other files etc etc. But I will keep doing it this way because I don't want my desktop cluttered with author folders containing folders & files I didn't need and I don't like unsolicited instances of Windows Explorer popping up in front of me

I regard Windows Explorer as a virus

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-31-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Of course, there is one better option. Right click the eBook and select Open containing folder. Then copy the eBook and past it right to your desktop.
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 11:30 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Of course, there is one better option. Right click the eBook and select Open containing folder. Then copy the eBook and past it right to your desktop.
I assume we cross posted - but in case you missed what I just wrote

Quote:
I get what I want via "Click to Open" in Book Details and drag/dropping the file I want to where I want it on the desktop. But that has inherent dangers; if my Library and desktop were on the same disk then a vanilla drag/drop will move the file rather than copy it, or I might unknowingly delete one of the other files etc etc.
Apart from Windows Explorer - the biggest danger my computers and data face is the fingers on the keyboards and mouses - of which there is only one instance

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-31-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:32 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I assume we cross posted - but in case you missed what I just wrote

Apart from Windows Explorer - the biggest danger my computers and data face is the fingers on the keyboards and mouses

BR
I'm not saying to drag/drop. I'm saying to copy the file from the directory it's in in your Calibre library to the desktop. do it the way I specified and it will work perfectly well.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:32 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Yes, I know - it saves all the files associated with the book, wrapped up in a title folder, wrapped in an author folder, all it needs is some pink string and red sealing wax And the context menu->Save options operate in much the same way. And they each open a instance of Windows Explorer which I really don't need

I get what I want via "Click to Open" in Book Details and drag/dropping the file I want to where I want it on the desktop. But that has inherent dangers; if my Library and desktop were on the same disk then a vanilla drag/drop will move the file rather than copy it, or I might unknowingly delete one of the other files etc etc. But I will keep doing it this way because I don't want my desktop cluttered with author folders containing folders & files I didn't need and I don't like unsolicited instances of Windows Explorer popping up in front of me
Have you looked at the preferences? Specifically the "Saving books to disk" page which has options to "Save cover separately", "Save metadata in OPF file" and "Show files in file browser...". If you uncheck these, then, when you do the save, choose "Save to disk in single directory". That should do what you want.

After writing the above and thinking about then mentions of drag-and-drop, I did a quick experiment. I can drag a book from the calibre and drop it wherever I want to. That copies the file for the default format (Preferences>Behavior>Preferred output format). I should have known that would work.

Also, I do like your original suggestion. Being able to save that format from there would be good. And I'm sure someone will come up with other functions for the menu.

Last edited by davidfor; 07-31-2012 at 11:38 PM. Reason: drag-and-drop suggestion
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:57 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
After writing the above and thinking about then mentions of drag-and-drop, I did a quick experiment. I can drag a book from the calibre and drop it wherever I want to. That copies the file for the default format (Preferences>Behavior>Preferred output format). I should have known that would work.
that will do me nicely.

I would have assumed drag drop out of the Book List would do what 'S' does - copy the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Also, I do like your original suggestion. Being able to save that format from there would be good. And I'm sure someone will come up with other functions for the menu.
My original thought was a COPY ONLY drag/drop the book file (FORMAT) from the Book Details or Edit Metadata panels - I opted for the extra item on the context menu because I assume it would be less work.

BR
Old 08-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Drag and drop from the book list seems to be a winner.

Of course if you went to Preferences - Saving books to disk and followed davidfor's advice that would set you up the way you want, no opf, jpg or explorer pop-up.

If you then went to Preferences - Keyboard and changed the S shortcut from Save to disk to the Save only epub (which means Preferred output format) format to disk in a single directory then the S key shortcut would copy the epub (Preferred output format) to the directory you choose without any Windows explorer pop up or any other auxiliary files being copied.

Your idea for the context menu is still a good one that would be nice to have implemented. But in the mean time drag and drop from the book list or a simple shortcut key should do nicely.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-01-2012 at 01:18 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:12 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
that will do me nicely.

I would have assumed drag drop out of the Book List would do what 'S' does - copy the book.

BR
like the OP said - drag+drop in windows defaults to MOVE, not to COPY, if source & destination are on the same hard drive.
it defaults to copy only if you drag from one HD & drop onto a different one.

EDIT: but i missed "out of the book list" - that works just as you say. so don't use open path in order to drag n drop , do it directly from book list.

Last edited by cybmole; 08-01-2012 at 01:15 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The way I specified to do it it only COPIES. So why isn't the OP getting it?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kovid/c...revision/12819
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

davidfor's method works great if I use Save Only EPUB, but if I use Save other format then I get the author and book folders.

JSWolf - the OP gets it, After opening the book folder you want me to copy the file to the paste buffer, to do that I would use Ctrl/C, I would then navigate to the Desktop and use a CTRL/V. C is about 5mm from X, Ctrl/X is a Cut, if I inadvertently did a CTRL/X then after the CTRL/V the book file I Cut would not be in the Calibre Book File. This is precisely the situation I'm trying to avoid.

Some of the guru's round here say that going into Calibres folders is a no no, that irritates me because I was a systems programmer for 40+ years and I think I know what I'm doing, however I fully appreciate why they say that, your 5mm away from creating a problem for yourself.

Kovid
Old 08-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #15
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
[b]

JSWolf - the OP gets it, After opening the book folder ...
no no no....the OP does NOT get it still....

DONT OPEN THE BOOK FOLDER.
put your cursor on the line showing book details: author, title , date etc in the MAIN calibre window and drag from there to desktop.
Foolproof. no right clicks involved, no CTRL keys.
NO risk of an accidental move.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote